Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about BCPS, GN, lm-s, W-s and other mystic muterings...

Hmmmm...that should have been mutterings...

Most of us have some familiarity with flash guide numbers and a few more of us may use such on a regular basis, even when not shopping for a new flash. While true, only an elect few are privy to the higher language used when speaking of absolute luminous output and the forces that drive such, the understanding of which is reserved for those of inquiring mind and discernment. Of course, it always helps to have someone to help guide the quest and to that end, I can recommend an eight page white paper on photoflash output by Doug Kerr:
http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Photoflash_Output.pdf (pdf)
Doug Kerr has written a fairly extensive library of concise papers on a number of subjects, photographic and otherwise, where technical knowledge is often a little thin. He calls the collection, "The Pumpkin" and I highly recommend it to those who are maybe a little bored and more than a little curious.
Doug Kerr | The Pumpkin
Enjoy!

Steve

(...had forgotten how much "stuff" he has written on...wow...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-28-2020 at 04:35 PM.
10-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Unregistered User

Guess you meant mutterings...?
10-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Guess you meant mutterings...?
I thought that too, but the spell checker did not flag, so I typed on. It was one of those strange situations where the word just did not look right and I was ill-inclined to look it up.

The strange part is that the spell checker still does not flag it when in the Title box.

Steve
10-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff; thanks for posting. I made it through pages 1-7 OK, then glazed over on page 8. My brain cells are now appropriately befuddled.

10-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought that too, but the spell checker did not flag, so I typed on. It was one of those strange situations where the word just did not look right and I was ill-inclined to look it up.

The strange part is that the spell checker still does not flag it when in the Title box.

Steve
I think that this is a bit old spell checker: In the beginning: "Muterings" is passable because the words mute and rings are in the wordlist. After evolution: Modern spellcheckers look up whole words instead of parts of a word. I came across this many times. So stopped using spellcheckers and consulted the dictionary. I could not afford this kind of mistakes in my line of work.