Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is Cactus still in business ?

I've been using their flash transceivers and flash units for a while and have been impressed. Today I thought I'd buy another flash. However, in searching for a best price to compare with my usual dealer(s), I kept on finding them out of stock, or not even stocked. I found one, ordered it and noticed the dealer is now showing out of stock. No problem, except I like them and I've now several units. Wasn't expecting them to be on the way out. Anyone know anything about what's going on with the company?

Many thanks,

11-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon shows stock on several Cactus products.
Cactus website is still up.
Last news on the website is dated 2018?

So I don't know. Maybe COVID related production issues?

Which unit are you looking for?
11-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Amazon shows stock on several Cactus products.
Cactus website is still up.
Last news on the website is dated 2018?

So I don't know. Maybe COVID related production issues?

Which unit are you looking for?
The older versions are there, but not the more recent. I've built up several units and so I was looking for a spare transceiver. I can find them, but they are rare, so I fear the worst ...
11-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

Flash and Trigger

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 12:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've been using their flash transceivers and flash units for a while and have been impressed. Today I thought I'd buy another flash. However, in searching for a best price to compare with my usual dealer(s), I kept on finding them out of stock, or not even stocked. I found one, ordered it and noticed the dealer is now showing out of stock. No problem, except I like them and I've now several units. Wasn't expecting them to be on the way out. Anyone know anything about what's going on with the company?

Many thanks,
Flash and Trigger

11-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hasn't Cactus pulled an "am I dead" act in the past? Every year or so, the rumor circulates that they have gone under. Here in the U.S., B&H is backordered on V6 TX/RX and laser triggers, but is good on V6ii and RF60x.

Steve
11-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just bought a spare RF60x and transceiver. I tend to use up to a four flash setup - 3 Cactus and one 540. I've now got spare of each. I'll start to get worried if I have a failure or two. Sad, if they go under, as they're good and economical.
11-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now after a bit of research I'm wondering whether I did the right thing sticking with Cactus. So be it, I've exercised the credit card now.

Anyway a few questions, if anyone is reading this as it's probably now under the wrong title.

Say at some time in the future I need to replace my Cactus gear, I'm wondering what route I could take. Godox???

1) Can I trigger Cactus flash units from another manufacturers trigger? I'm guessing not. So onto the next part.

2) I work in manual, triggering multiple flashes from my K-1, I assume I could use a Godox trigger to do this?
3) The Godox TT600 flash units seem to be popular. I assume I would be able to replace my Cactus flashes with these (cheaper than Cactus) TT600s and trigger then from the Godox trigger, in much the same way that I'm using my Cactus gear?

Now as I write this I'm seeing another mistake I made sticking with Cactus. Am I correct in thinking the Pentax compatible Godox trigger would trigger any of their flash and strobe units?

Thanks.

11-01-2020, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #8

1) You might be able to do that installing your Cactus flash (as a manual flash, which it is, via the central pin) onto a receiver from the same manufacturer as the trigger - with the loss of remote control of the flashes. This said, I haven't tried such a setup myself.

2) If using Godox trigger + Godox receivers, then probably yes - see. p.1 above.

3) Yes, Godox' wireless system can be used very much in the the same way as Cactus. But Godox is a pain to use after Cactus... Cactus offers unmatched ergonomics and intuitivity, a more professional user experience overall.
11-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The older versions are there, but not the more recent. I've built up several units and so I was looking for a spare transceiver. I can find them, but they are rare, so I fear the worst ...
B&H have stock. I suspect it's probably a supply issue.
11-01-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1) Can I trigger Cactus flash units from another manufacturers trigger? I'm guessing not. So onto the next part.
That would be my guess as well.

2) I work in manual, triggering multiple flashes from my K-1, I assume I could use a Godox trigger to do this?
The short answer is yes, though you would be triggering Godox devices.

3) The Godox TT600 flash units seem to be popular. I assume I would be able to replace my Cactus flashes with these (cheaper than Cactus) TT600s and trigger then from the Godox trigger, in much the same way that I'm using my Cactus gear?
Working in full manual the TT600s would be fully controllable from a Godox controller, though only for their basic feature set (intensity, zoom, and multi) plus HSS with if the controller supports Pentax. If you want Pentax TTL, you can control several different Godox flash from a Pentax flavor controller. The determinant for TTL, HSS, or trailing curtain sync is the shared feature sets between controller and flash units.

Now as I write this I'm seeing another mistake I made sticking with Cactus. Am I correct in thinking the Pentax compatible Godox trigger would trigger any of their flash and strobe units?
You are correct. Consider too that if one needs a compact flash to go with the new K-3iii, a Godox TT350P can also do wireless control of several other Godox flash. Scary isn't it?

Here is a wrench thrown into the mix. I really like Godox and would likely be looking that direction except that I currently am fully manual in the Yongnuo system and it meets my needs quite nicely with a mix of a couple of YN560III speedlights, a YN560TXII controller, and a couple of RF603 II TX/RX triggers. My total investment is about $150 USD total (caught some good sales). Prices have gone up, but for another $150 I can add two more YN560III and deploy a mix of four remotely controlled speedlights and two other flash using local control, but also supporting auto. I can also have a wired P-TTL flash in the same mix.

As much fun as it would be to dump Yongnuo and go Godox, as long as I can work with what I have, I am quite content.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-01-2020 at 04:33 PM.
11-01-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all, I bought Cactus V6 II trigger and RF60X from their website (Flash and Trigger) back then in August 2020 and they shipped it quickly, their responses and communication is excellent despite HK was under lock down and demonstrations were happening at that time.

I also just bought another Cactus trigger (V6 IIs) from Adorama 2 weeks ago, it was in their stock. The reason why I switched to Adorama because the fedex shipping from USA to Australia is faster by 1 week compared to HK to Australia, and I could buy other stuffs (not related to flash) as well.
11-01-2020, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can trigger cactus flashes if you attach them to a receiver. Also I find I'm pretty much always using at least two lights so there is optical trigger. I kind of think Godox is just making it really hard for people like Cactus.
11-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvage Quote
1) You might be able to do that installing your Cactus flash (as a manual flash, which it is, via the central pin) onto a receiver from the same manufacturer as the trigger - with the loss of remote control of the flashes. This said, I haven't tried such a setup myself.

2) If using Godox trigger + Godox receivers, then probably yes - see. p.1 above.

3) Yes, Godox' wireless system can be used very much in the the same way as Cactus. But Godox is a pain to use after Cactus... Cactus offers unmatched ergonomics and intuitivity, a more professional user experience overall.
Thanks Your comment about Cactus ergonomics is true, the system does work nicely. Guess, I need to investigate in the background Godox *IF* Cactus are on the way out.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
B&H have stock. I suspect it's probably a supply issue.
Could be Mark. However, sales is an issue. I've just spoken to a dealer (professional trade counter dealer) who were very positive about the units, but their sales did match their expectations. I might have to look to importing.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be my guess as well.

The short answer is yes, though you would be triggering Godox devices.

Working in full manual the TT600s would be fully controllable from a Godox controller, though only for their basic feature set (intensity, zoom, and multi) plus HSS with if the controller supports Pentax. If you want Pentax TTL, you can control several different Godox flash from a Pentax flavor controller. The determinant for TTL, HSS, or trailing curtain sync is the shared feature sets between controller and flash units.

You are correct. Consider too that if one needs a compact flash to go with the new K-3iii, a Godox TT350P can also do wireless control of several other Godox flash. Scary isn't it?

Here is a wrench thrown into the mix. I really like Godox and would likely be looking that direction except that I currently am fully manual in the Yongnuo system and it meets my needs quite nicely with a mix of a couple of YN560III speedlights, a YN560TXII controller, and a couple of RF603 II TX/RX triggers. My total investment is about $150 USD total (caught some good sales). Prices have gone up, but for another $150 I can add two more YN560III and deploy a mix of four remotely controlled speedlights and two other flash using local control, but also supporting auto. I can also have a wired P-TTL flash in the same mix.

As much fun as it would be to dump Yongnuo and go Godox, as long as I can work with what I have, I am quite content.

Steve
Thanks Steve, much to digest here. I like the Cactus approach and it's ease of use. I hope I don't actually need ever to replace, but that is unrealistic, I fear. So I need to watch what the alternatives and not stick my head in the sand

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidhartanto Quote
Hi all, I bought Cactus V6 II trigger and RF60X from their website (Flash and Trigger) back then in August 2020 and they shipped it quickly, their responses and communication is excellent despite HK was under lock down and demonstrations were happening at that time.

I also just bought another Cactus trigger (V6 IIs) from Adorama 2 weeks ago, it was in their stock. The reason why I switched to Adorama because the fedex shipping from USA to Australia is faster by 1 week compared to HK to Australia, and I could buy other stuffs (not related to flash) as well.
Thanks David. Maybe, it's a local supply issue, or a wider spread problem. Good to hear they are available in the US for export.

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
You can trigger cactus flashes if you attach them to a receiver. Also I find I'm pretty much always using at least two lights so there is optical trigger. I kind of think Godox is just making it really hard for people like Cactus.
Thanks. I need to look at Cactus receivers, then. I didn't notice their receivers when I did a quick check last night.
11-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks. I need to look at Cactus receivers, then. I didn't notice their receivers when I did a quick check last night.
Sorry, I meant attach them to an arbitrary receiver like Vello for which you have a trigger. The cactus models themselves are both receivers and triggers....but I was thinking if you wanted to go away from Cactus. However, I have had two cactus triggers for a long time and they are pretty reliable.
11-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Sorry, I meant attach them to an arbitrary receiver like Vello for which you have a trigger. The cactus models themselves are both receivers and triggers....but I was thinking if you wanted to go away from Cactus. However, I have had two cactus triggers for a long time and they are pretty reliable.
No problem. It occurred to me that the VRiis (is Sony) might work as a RX only backup. I assume they are only Sony dedicated on TX. As it's only for a backup, and there are a few available in UK, this might give me some insurance as I'd definitely prefer to stay with Cactus. I've sent a note to Cactus in HK to see if I've guessed correctly about the Sony version in RX mode only. I've also, asked them why the dearth of units in the UK. I'll feedback any response I receive from them.