Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Off camera flash equipment and setup

I have a Pentax K1 and a Pentax AF360FGZ II. Trying to find a way to use my Pentax flash off camera in a wireless setup for outdoor fill flash situations.
Are there any triggers / receivers compatible with Pentax brand for this kind of setup? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

11-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

While I haven’t tried this, I’ve heard good things about this setup: Yongnuo RF-605C RF-605 Wireless Flash Trigger with LCD for Pentax DSLR Cameras
11-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you wanting to do off-camera P-TTL flash automation or manual flash?

Steve
11-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The easiest way is to use another Pentax flash on the camera. You can buy used 360 flashed off of eBay for less than $100. You have the choice of having the on-camera flash provide light or only be a trigger for the off-camera flash.

11-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you wanting to do off-camera P-TTL flash automation or manual flash?

Steve
I would like the option to do both.
11-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #6

Cactus triggers will do this plus give you HSS, useful for balancing against daylight, you'll need to have 2 thou, one to act as transmitter and one set to receiver, I've had really good success with these on a K1 and 645z, add a cactus RF80x flash with a build in receiver for even easier use.
11-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

Check out the Cactus system. I’ve used a couple for outdoor portraits with HSS. No complaints. (Bought them during a sale). Pentax K-3 and KP with the AF360.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 II CACV6II B&H Photo Video

Last edited by Caribe; 11-14-2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added info
11-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're probably out of luck with Cactus. See Cactus are soon to be no more, sadly ... - PentaxForums.com.
11-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by giselag Quote
If you want to use your AF360FGZ as the flash, the Cactus system would be a solution. I believe you would need two V6II transceivers. The company is ceasing business, but online merchants still have inventory. If looking at this option, speed to purchase might be advised. Ditto for download of required firmware updates.

Another option might be Godox/Flashpoint. You would not be able to use your Pentax flash except in full manual, but you would be able to do P-TTL and HSS using one of their controllers in conjunction with one of their flash at a price point similar to or less than a Cactus solution. I would suggest the Flashpoint (Adorama) versions of the Godox products since Adorama provides the post-purchase support of those variants.

Steve
11-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
You're probably out of luck with Cactus. See Cactus are soon to be no more, sadly ... - PentaxForums.com.
US outlets still have stock and OP is in the US.

Steve
11-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the useful information. May try to purchase a couple of Cactus V6II. Has anyone heard if Pentax plans to provide a wireless trigger compatible with Pentax flashes?
11-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you everyone for the useful information. May try to purchase a couple of Cactus V6II.
I use cactus V6IIs and RF60X units together with Pentax AF540s. All works very well.

Us this page to update the firmware on your units when you get them. Downloads | CACTUS
11-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Has anyone heard if Pentax plans to provide a wireless trigger compatible with Pentax
It they are, it is a very well-kept secret.

Steve
11-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you everyone for the useful information. May try to purchase a couple of Cactus V6II. Has anyone heard if Pentax plans to provide a wireless trigger compatible with Pentax flashes?
I don't think so, I suspect the numbers of potential customers don't make it worthwhile, Giselag.

Even if they did, I think a pair of Cactus v6 iis will be cheaper anyway. I have some, and they work fine.
11-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #15

While it wouldn't help you use your existing Pentax speedlight off-camera, you could get Godox gear. A Godox TT685-C (for Canon) is $110, and can be firmware-upgraded to do P-TTL/HSS as an off-camera radio slave (it cannot be a P-TTL on-camera flash, though, since it has a Canon foot). And the Godox X2T-P ($60), XPro-P ($70), and Flashpoint R2 Pro II-P ($70) transmitters will let you do P-TTL and HSS, with remote power/group/zoom control.

So, $180 total, which is slightly less than 2x$95 => $190, which is what new V6 II transceivers cost. And you have a built-in radio transceiver in the TT685-C, so you don't need to sandwich a trigger between the flash and the lightstand. And you'll be in the Godox system, which has a lot of larger light options, if you need them.