Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Better Beamer Flash Extender

Has anyone in the group figured out a way to successfully use a better beamer on an AF-360 Pentax flash? Is there anything else available that fits the 360? Thanks

CN

11-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought better beamers for both my AF500FTZ and AF540FGZ, and yes they are different. I bought them at Adorama, after I decided what I needed.

At one of the sites I looked at there was a fitting guide and instructions on how to pick the best one

Check here

Flash Extender size fitting guide
11-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowell:

Thanks for your reply. I'd already found that site, and pretty much worn it out. Obviously none of the models is made specifically for the 360, and any one I purchase is going to have to be shimmed and/or cut down in order to even half-way fit. I'm thinking either the F2 or the F3 is as close as I'm going to get. They have the same dimensions, but the F3 is for a flash head with slightly rounded sides. On the site you mentioned they show an F3 mounted on a Canon flash whose slightly rounded sides are at least similar to those on the 360, so I'm thinking this is probably the best choice. I'm sure I'm mulling over this too much, because at $39, it isn't like buying a new luxury automobile. I just hate having to repackage things and send them back for an exchange.

CN
11-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clem,

I have the FX-5 for use on my AF500FTZ which has rounded corners, and the FX-1 for my AF540FGZ which has square corners.

You might want to look at the FX-1

the dimensions of my AF500FTZ which are 70mm x 43mm and my AF540FGZ is 70 x 40 (but the 40 could be 35 as there is a notch out of the top at the corner.

11-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowell:

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I don't know how helpful the BB will be, but I've signed up for a photo trip to Costa Rica in January, and the fellow leading the trip suggested a flash extender as part of the equipment to bring along. Obviously a 540 would be preferable to the 360, but with the present economic downturn I'm already feeling guilty enough as it is.

CN