Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Studio work on objects, cooking etc

I am looking for techniques and ideas to get experience on studio work.
I have 2 softboxs, white and black large backgrounds.
3 flashs light sync, 2 spots light with umbrella.
K-1 II
Do you know any website, books, magazines.
Thank you for your help

12-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are lots of online resources. Most will be aimed at studio portrait rather than object, but I suggest you study those to understand how lighting , especially flash lighting can work.

Here are two that i like.....especially the first one. Watch the two videos by Zach Arias Even if it does not directly affect what you are trying to produce you will learn a lot....including how a white background can be black in your picture !

How to Light & Shoot a Seamless White Background from Start to Finish

Lighting setups for great portrait photos | Discover Digital Photography
12-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good studio/product videos I find to be at Karl Taylor. Some of them are free. Mostly about lighting.
On YouTube the are also videos from Philip McCordall. He was a product photographer in the 80s and 90s and shares some great tips.
Food photography is also on creative live. Mainly paid stuff but excellent. Food is also on YouTube from The Bite Shot.
12-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In general this is called "product photography" when referring to objects, like products sold online. Though I don't shoot products at all, I've apparently come across guides specific to the product type, such as glass, large furniture, etc so you can probably find more specific advice to what you're interested in.

12-04-2020, 04:12 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I did a quick video on how I generally do that. I hope it may help. Here is the thread.

How I photograph Scale Models and other objects - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
12-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Studio

Thank you to all for your good advices.
12-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Good lighting might only get you half way there. Check out this food styling book. You'll never look at cooking the same way again.
Visual Feast - Contemporary Food Staging and Photography - gestalten EU Shop

12-06-2020, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Here is an interesting little article for still life that uses some gear you already have.

A super simple 2-light setup for shooting still life photography - DIY Photography

That site has a fair number of tutorials and articles.
12-10-2020, 05:26 AM   #9
Forum Member

In my opinion the only book you need to read is "Light, Science and Magic" (it has like 6 editions, any edition will be ok, but you might want to avoid the first 3 cause they use film cameras as reference, if i ma not wrong, its been a long time since the last time i check.). After reading and understanding what it says, you will be able to light anything in this world.

You can find it here

12-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
In general this is called "product photography" when referring to objects, like products sold online. Though I don't shoot products at all, I've apparently come across guides specific to the product type, such as glass, large furniture, etc so you can probably find more specific advice to what you're interested in.
Do you have a reference for shooting glass? I'm looking to photograph some flat panels of stained glass. I got a reflective light box that has LED strips in it, and that's been pretty good for smaller pieces but I have a piece that is ~19"x19" and it's too large for this box so I need to find another solution to getting: A) light through the back so you can see the colors of the glass, B) light on the front so you can see the shiny copper solder lines, and C) no glare. If I didn't care about those coppery solder lines on the front everything would be much easier because light through the back is simple enough but I'm a bit stumped. I should also note that I am very new to flashes and artificial lighting in general...
Thanks!
12-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyespywithmyi Quote
Do you have a reference for shooting glass?
Sorry, not sure I can help, but it sounds like a fairly challenging setup so good luck finding a solution! My only thought is blending in post two exposures to get the additional details without reflections.
12-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Sorry, not sure I can help, but it sounds like a fairly challenging setup so good luck finding a solution! My only thought is blending in post two exposures to get the additional details without reflections.
Ooooh, that's an interesting idea I had not considered. That actually helps a lot, thank you!