Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #46

Af-200fg

Thanks for posting this. I especially appreciate the comparison chart.

One thing about the Pentax AF-200FG, though: you can actually set the power to three manual modes: "Full," -0.5 and -1.

11-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MidwestMax Quote
Thanks for posting this. I especially appreciate the comparison chart.

One thing about the Pentax AF-200FG, though: you can actually set the power to three manual modes: "Full," -0.5 and -1.
As I understand it, the Full mode means full manual, but the -0.5 and -1 settings are EV compensation values for the automatic P-TTL mode. That's why they're expressed as stops rather than as fractions. Am I wrong?
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
As I understand it, the Full mode means full manual, but the -0.5 and -1 settings are EV compensation values for the automatic P-TTL mode. That's why they're expressed as stops rather than as fractions. Am I wrong?
No, you're right--I just checked my 200FG.
11-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I found this thread where the Vivitar DF400MZ is reviewed — it's one of the Sakar / Digital Concepts look-alikes:

Vivitar's New DF400MZ a Credible Rival to Canon? [Archive] - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Would you agree with the assessment of the build quality? (Especially the comments in the third post?)
Well the build quality is ok-ish. I don't through my stuff around and so far it has survived.

I only have another Chinese auto flash and their construction is similar but nothing like the k100d.

I've used both flashes, but I find the auto flash more reliable, but the p-ttl is faster. I used the p-ttl flash for some indoors football matches were it performed fine, but chose to use the auto flash for a wedding.

The only problem I've had with my flashes so far is that the secondary fill-in flash of the auto flash burned (it popped). You had to see the face of the poor bride but I assured her everything was fine.

I took about 1400 shots from 6pm to 3am with the poor flash. The small flash died only the next day after about 400 extra shots. I also had the p-ttl flash as a backup.

If I'd start from the beginning I would either look for a 285hv or a sigma 500/530 super. Too bad the sigma doesn't have an auto option.