Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by delboy65 Quote
... i wondered about a few Godox - and noted that the, more powerful(?) TT600 is £ less than the TT350 - but now understand that is probably due to P-TTL..
Yes. The TT600 is a single-pin manual full-sized speedlight that runs off 4xAA. All a camera hotshoe can tell it is when to fire. It is also not firmware upgradeable. As a radio slave, however, it can do remote M power adjustments, sync, group control, and HSS. As a radio master, you only have sync and group and M power control.

Godox has been bad about supporting Pentax. Their full speedlight lineup consists of seven models:
  • TT350 ($85), mini speedlight, 2xAA. 270º swivel, no sync port, no battery port, no recycle beep. Small and light enough for mirrorless.
  • V350 ($160), Li-on version of the TT350. (li-on pack has roughly 3x the capacity of a set of AAs)
  • TT600 ($60), single-pin manual speedlight
  • V850 II ($140), Li-on version of the TT600; lacks a battery pack port.
  • TT685 ($110), TTL/HSS full-sized speedlight
  • V860 II ($180), Li-on version of the TT685; lacks a battery pack port.
  • V1 ($260), round-headed li-on speedlight.

But, when Godox brought out P-TTL support, they only made versions of the TT350 and the newest model, the V1, and never came out with -P versions of the older models. So, there's no TT685-P or V860 II-P, which, to me, are the two models that offer the best bang for the buck. There are rumors that Godox is going to be releasing V850 III and V860 III updates sometime this year, and that the V860 III will have a Pentax version. But. So far, there's been no formal release announcement.

QuoteQuote:
So, if i went with a salvo of TT350P's .. would
1. they all be P-TTL,
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
and 2. would that save me the need to buy a transmitter as well?
Depends on how much control you want over the off-camera units. An on-camera TT350-P can be a TTL/HSS radio transmitter that can control up to three groups (A-C). But. Unlike the dedicated transmitters, there's no bluetooth app control, no TCM (TTL convert to Manual; basically TTL locking), no groups D&E control, and no access to custom functions like "close mode" (DIST), SCAN (auto setting to the least crowded channel), or modeling light or zoom control.

It's a useable transmitter, but it's not as full-featured or small/light as a dedicated transmitter unit.

06-23-2021, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Not just the AD strobes, but also all flavors of the V860 II, and the TT685-C (Canon version) can also work as TTL/HSS radio slaves to a Godox X2T-P, Xpro-P or Flashpoint R2 Pro II-P.
thanks for the clarification. I didn't know about the Canon.

Nitpicking, but it's 433MHz.
You're right, of course

QuoteOriginally posted by delboy65 Quote
Thank you.. tried my metz (on camera) and the af540 (off camera) and the AF didn't fire...
My Metz 52 AF-1 works perfectly well as either an optical slave or master. Not all Metz flashes do, however, work as wireless PTTL masters. It depends on the model. It might work as a slave, however, and will likely work in manual master or slave.

I don't really like using PTTL in the studio, anyway, much simpler and predictable to use manual.
06-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is there a reason you need TTL flash automation? What you describe sounds a lot like what might easily be done with manual flash; a couple of TT600 + X2TP would allow considerable flexibility, both on and off camera.

Steve
Thanks Steve.
Guessing only need for TTL being convenience
06-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

An on-camera TT350-P can be a TTL/HSS radio transmitter that can control up to three groups (A-C).
it also has functional rear sync which i have tried via transmitter yet but would seem it would work since the flash itself behaves properly when engaged << this is the flashpoint mini zoom which is the same thing >> .......can't speak for the x2 but the x -pro-p does not have the rear sync function or i have yet to find it to enable it

so far groups a-c are enough as i only have 1 ad200 although another is on the way......if i had a studio i would get the much cheaper outlet monolights which the grouping would be much more important