Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
X2T-P or XPro?

Hello!

Does anyone using Godox have experience with either/both of these wireless controllers? Do you know if I buy a godox controller meant for another brand (olympus for example) does it work OK on a Pentax other than the ttl and maybe hss?

I want to start with 1-2 speedlights (model tt600).

Thanks for any experience anyone might have!

Wiley

12-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Do you know if I buy a godox controller meant for another brand (olympus for example) does it work OK on a Pentax other than the ttl and maybe hss?
i believe it needs to be brand specific although it may trigger anyways......
i only have the x-pro-p.......works great with the ad200 and other godox speedlites n strobes that friends of mine own
12-06-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Aaron!
12-07-2020, 02:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Nikon Trigger works on Pentax in my experience. But you need to power switch your camera every time the trigger goes into sleep mode (around 30 seconds without triggering it). You can also partially insert the trigger and it will fire more reliably.

12-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
The Nikon Trigger works on Pentax in my experience. But you need to power switch your camera every time the trigger goes into sleep mode (around 30 seconds without triggering it). You can also partially insert the trigger and it will fire more reliably.
Got it - sounds like brand matching does a little more than just hss and ttl!
12-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
xPro-P works fine in all modes with my K-1 and two AD400Pro flashes. And also works great when stacked on my Cactus VII to fire my other flashes.
12-07-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks, Aaron!
sure! ......the controllers are not that expensive and seems getting a brand specific would be best and get all the features it offers doing so

12-07-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before the XPro-P came out people were experimenting with the other versions of the XPro trigger and trigger stacking with Cactus V6's.

It's way easier just using an XPro-P now than trying trigger stacking and that's why some of those extended posts don't show up now (less need to try such trickery).
12-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Batman_ Quote
Before the XPro-P came out people were experimenting with the other versions of the XPro trigger and trigger stacking with Cactus V6's.

It's way easier just using an XPro-P now than trying trigger stacking and that's why some of those extended posts don't show up now (less need to try such trickery).
Do you have an opinion on XPro trigger vs X2T? X2T seems slightly smaller/more packable, maybe slightly less buttons for doing-things-directly...but I haven't seen or held either, so I'm eager for input here!
12-07-2020, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have an opinion on XPro trigger vs X2T? X2T seems slightly smaller/more packable, maybe slightly less buttons for doing-things-directly...but I haven't seen or held either, so I'm eager for input here!
Well, I have the XPro-P.

Anyway, the problem you will have for comparisons is that most people have one or the other but not both (regards XPro-P and X2T).

I only have the XPro-P so my comments are:
  • It's pretty intuitive;
  • It's good have all five groups on screen at once;
  • Firmware is pretty easy to upgrade (I updated it last night).

Not related to the trigger but to the Godox eco-system itself, it's great having such a wide selection of possible strobes and larger lighting options combined with built-in wireless rx (dependent on model) and lithium-ion battery options.

My main negatives to the XPro-P would be:
  • 1.2V AA rechargeable batteries don't work well;
  • the circular dial could rotate with a nicer motion (the circular dial on the V1-P flash rotates much nicer).

My final comment would be that the more frequently you use it the easier it gets to use. No brainer you say but its true. Watch a good Youtube how-to video and you're good to go.

Most things on the XPro are pretty obvious in use but here are two shortcuts:
  • Reset trigger (Hold down two center buttons in top row of trigger for two seconds)
  • Switch between Zoom/Channel (long press on top left Zoom/Channel button). This is the only dual purpose button on the trigger.

There are so many reviews on Youtube that that would be an easier way to compare the triggers than ask for feedback here. I know you probably won't find a Pentax comparison using the triggers but the comparison still holds.

The XPro was generally regarded as easily the best Godox trigger up to the time it was released. I can't say anything about the X2T other than I am not tempted to buy it.

Best of luck with your decision.
12-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you!
12-08-2020, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Does anyone using Godox have experience with either/both of these wireless controllers?
I have both these triggers.

By far the best one is a third alternative, the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII. It is fully compatible with all Godox products that work with the X-Pro or X2T but has more features and better usability.

For instance, buttons are backlit and you require fewer button presses to toggle groups on or off. There are more dedicated buttons to save you from menu diving and you get features like channel search and Bluetooth connectivity which none of the other two Godox triggers offer in combination.

P.S.: To get P-TTL and HSS you definitely need the Pentax version of these triggers and the latter won't offer these features on cameras from other brands.
12-08-2020, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Hello!

Does anyone using Godox have experience with either/both of these wireless controllers? Do you know if I buy a godox controller meant for another brand (olympus for example) does it work OK on a Pentax other than the ttl and maybe hss?

I want to start with 1-2 speedlights (model tt600).

Thanks for any experience anyone might have!

Wiley
Hello, I have both .

About using a trigger meant for another brand, I used several triggers for Canon (X32C and Xpro-C) without issue. Of course you don't have HSS or PTTL, just control and triggering flashes at normal speeds.

XproP vs X2T-P. There are advantages and disadvantages, they are not exactly equivalent products. My most used is the XProP.

Positive points for the Xpro-P:

* Interface. The XproP doesn't have a fast and refined interface but for me is easier to manage compared to the X2T-P. With the X2T-P I push the wrong button frecuently, It's more difficult to handle, but this is just subjetive, other person can be used to this interface and find it easier to handle. If you have just one flash to handle, you can use the zoom mode. Then you can control a flash easier and faster by using this mode.
* Legacy flashes. The XproP supports old and new Godox flashes. The X2T-P doens't handle correctly old flashes like the V850 mk I or the mythical AD360 mk I. It's the most compatible trigger.

* 5 flashes at once. You can see data about up to 5 flashes on the screen, you can select ALL and change power values. The X2T-P can handle just 3 at the same time, and max of 5 flashes, the first 3 for TTL flashes, and the last 2 are handled as manual flashes.

Positive for X2T-P:

* smaller, not too tall, if this is important for you.
* shoe on top, this is a single pin shoe, but you can get HSS signal too. This is important if you want to stack another trigger or a (small) flash on top. You could use this flash only on manual mode, but it's an option that you have.
* focusing aid. This trigger have a nice red light to help focus in dark scenes. It has a nice pattern and it's better that the XProP's.
* advanced functions, like channel search, to find the best channels for your trigger, and DELAY SYNC, to play with high speed sync.

I have legacy Godox flashes, so my most used trigger is the XProP. But for doing 'experiments' I use the X2T-P (you can look at this thread with one of my X2T-P experiments ).

Adorama has an updated trigger similar to the XPro-P but with more advanced functions and better interface, the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II, maybe it's the best trigger for Godox at present.

Regards.
12-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have both these triggers.

By far the best one is a third alternative, the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII. It is fully compatible with all Godox products that work with the X-Pro or X2T but has more features and better usability.

For instance, buttons are backlit and you require fewer button presses to toggle groups on or off. There are more dedicated buttons to save you from menu diving and you get features like channel search and Bluetooth connectivity which none of the other two Godox triggers offer in combination.

P.S.: To get P-TTL and HSS you definitely need the Pentax version of these triggers and the latter won't offer these features on cameras from other brands.
Thank you, Class A! I had thought the Flashpoint products were identical to Godox and just sold through Adorama - are there actual physical differences in the lights as well, eg tt600 vs zoom R2?

---------- Post added 12-08-20 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello, I have both .

About using a trigger meant for another brand, I used several triggers for Canon (X32C and Xpro-C) without issue. Of course you don't have HSS or PTTL, just control and triggering flashes at normal speeds.

XproP vs X2T-P. There are advantages and disadvantages, they are not exactly equivalent products. My most used is the XProP.

Positive points for the Xpro-P:

* Interface. The XproP doesn't have a fast and refined interface but for me is easier to manage compared to the X2T-P. With the X2T-P I push the wrong button frecuently, It's more difficult to handle, but this is just subjetive, other person can be used to this interface and find it easier to handle. If you have just one flash to handle, you can use the zoom mode. Then you can control a flash easier and faster by using this mode.
* Legacy flashes. The XproP supports old and new Godox flashes. The X2T-P doens't handle correctly old flashes like the V850 mk I or the mythical AD360 mk I. It's the most compatible trigger.

* 5 flashes at once. You can see data about up to 5 flashes on the screen, you can select ALL and change power values. The X2T-P can handle just 3 at the same time, and max of 5 flashes, the first 3 for TTL flashes, and the last 2 are handled as manual flashes.

Positive for X2T-P:

* smaller, not too tall, if this is important for you.
* shoe on top, this is a single pin shoe, but you can get HSS signal too. This is important if you want to stack another trigger or a (small) flash on top. You could use this flash only on manual mode, but it's an option that you have.
* focusing aid. This trigger have a nice red light to help focus in dark scenes. It has a nice pattern and it's better that the XProP's.
* advanced functions, like channel search, to find the best channels for your trigger, and DELAY SYNC, to play with high speed sync.

I have legacy Godox flashes, so my most used trigger is the XProP. But for doing 'experiments' I use the X2T-P (you can look at this thread with one of my X2T-P experiments ).

Adorama has an updated trigger similar to the XPro-P but with more advanced functions and better interface, the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II, maybe it's the best trigger for Godox at present.

Regards.
Morenjavi and Class A, thank you for the comparisons and other information! This is exactly what i was hoping to hear about :-D

Thanks for the help everyone!
12-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I had thought the Flashpoint products were identical to Godox and just sold through Adorama - are there actual physical differences in the lights as well, eg tt600 vs zoom R2?
No, there are no differences (neither hardware nor software) between the respective Godox and Flashpoint products (apart from cosmetics).

Flashpoint is just Adorama's "house brand" and they rebrand Godox products.

Some Flashpoint products, like the single pin transceiver or the R2 Mark II trigger are Flashpoint exclusive products, though. You cannot get them as Godox versions.