Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if anyone has ever compared Cactus units with, say, Godox. I've been using Cactus flashes all day in manual mode. I've just looked over all the photos and there was not one that malfunctioned. The consistency was there time after time. Dial in, say 1/16 and all the units in that group gave a consistent amount of light. Up it by 2/3 of a stop and again consistency. It's good gear. Maybe a little flimsy, but accurate. How does Godox perform? Not relevant I know, but just wonder ...

12-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
@Class A: Do you already have a comprehensive collection of these files?
Yes.

I did not track recently, but I don't think there were any updates recently.
12-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I wonder if anyone has ever compared Cactus units with, say, Godox. I've been using Cactus flashes all day in manual mode. I've just looked over all the photos and there was not one that malfunctioned. The consistency was there time after time. Dial in, say 1/16 and all the units in that group gave a consistent amount of light. Up it by 2/3 of a stop and again consistency. It's good gear. Maybe a little flimsy, but accurate. How does Godox perform? Not relevant I know, but just wonder ...
Someone has done.) Godox is perfectly fine as far as consistency, very much like Cactus. This said, excuse the repetitiveness, Godox is dramatically less convenient to use, and it is far less reliable, probably due to cheaper parts and/or inferior circuitry and (internal) assembly quality. Cactus falls from a stand onto the pavement, albeit in a softbox, and it's ready to work when you put the batteries back in.) A Godox flash may die peacefully by itself, after one shooting session, for no apparent reason. Yes, they repair them under warranty, but it takes time...
But at the end of the day pictures are pretty much the same using both.
12-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #34
Pentaxian

So my thing here is, I'm happy to help but I don't have any Cactus gear, so my assumption at this point is that the software wouldn't let me download any updates for me.

To my mind, any files that future owners might need should be hosted somewhere - manuals, installers and of course the firmware files required to do updates. This with the assumption that there will be plenty of devices left in the wild that haven't been upgraded to the latest.

There should then also be a page that explains any additional steps to get the updating software to load the firmware files correctly in the absence of official servers (unclear if this will happen, but it probably will at some point).

So of those four points (manuals, installers, firmware files, update instructions), I can cover the first two - just need to be told, or figure out myself, where to upload. I also somewhat inadvertently now have a probably partial copy of the Cactus forums that I could theoretically be consulted about.

12-23-2020, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is a tough time for smaller vendors,the tax increases on imported products might have been hard on them.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 12-24-2020 at 04:20 AM.
12-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A good way to go about this would be to contact the company directly, and see if they'd open source the existing firmware updates, or at least provide the software bundle somewhere. The problem is now that the firmware updater has to download the packages from somewhere (I think?) And if they go out of business that site/server will likely go offline.

They could copy the documentation and files onto a free github account and then they'd be accessible for years to come. I could see them not releasing the source code in case there are plans to try to keep it as possible IP for sale in the future...
12-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just on the off chance... check your %TEMP% directory (assuming Windows). The downloaded assets might still be there. Or somewhere else on your hard drive - this may even be configurable in the software (haven't tested). If it's configurable, that's a plus because then it's basically telling you where the files might be.
I've just done a big clean of temp files, so no.

But, having done the updates to the latest firmware on all the Cactus equipment I own, it's probably not necessary to keep the update files.

12-23-2020, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've just done a big clean of temp files, so no.

But, having done the updates to the latest firmware on all the Cactus equipment I own, it's probably not necessary to keep the update files.
I was thinking in terms of keeping them available for people that haven't updated their equipment, or also in case you might buy additional (used) units later.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
A good way to go about this would be to contact the company directly, and see if they'd open source the existing firmware updates, or at least provide the software bundle somewhere. The problem is now that the firmware updater has to download the packages from somewhere (I think?) And if they go out of business that site/server will likely go offline.
We've already discussed several possible options for this.

1) In the absence of an internet connection, an older available file *might* be used. (Not sure this has been definitively confirmed one way or the other.)

2) You can redirect traffic to localhost and pull the files from a server on your local machine. This will only fail if a secure connection with non-reproducible certificates is required, which I suspect not to be the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
open source the existing firmware updates
This would obviously future-proof things additionally.
12-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was thinking in terms of keeping them available for people that haven't updated their equipment, or also in case you might buy additional (used) units later.[COLOR="Silver"]
Good idea. I now have copies of these files on my machine.
01-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I heard from Cactus that the firmware update server and the forum (now closed for new posts) will at least be available until 30 June 2021.

If anyone wants to help hosting some files/data after that, please let me know.
01-23-2021, 02:04 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree
Something always stopped me pressing the button....

1 minute 50
01-25-2021, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I wonder if anyone has ever compared Cactus units with, say, Godox.
a lot of prople have. Technically, both are fine, with different features set, and Godox gained much more traction so they appear to be thriving.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvage Quote
Godox is dramatically less convenient to use
I disagree.

and it is far less reliable
I disagree.

A Godox flash may die peacefully by itself, after one shooting session, for no apparent reason.
Respectfully, that's just made-up stuff.

A huge number of people use Godox flashes. I could tell you that I have used some of their products for over 5 years and they work fine. But that would be just one example, just like you could find one example of someone who had problems. The same applies to Pentax, and all brands. But in general terms, Godox has produced high-quality products which meet the expectations of the market.
01-26-2021, 07:14 PM - 5 Likes   #43

Hello everyone, I'm not a regular on this forum but found this thread whilst searching for information on Cactus. I have been in communication with Cactus regarding the firmware issue on behalf of interested users on the DPReview subforum that I moderate. (I will not link directly to it, but you can find the thread in the Lighting section.) The Cactus support team are happy for this information to be shared.

Here is a message I received from them today (27 Jan 2021):

"We are working on the solution to store the current firmware somewhere on the internet and let users to download them, and load it to the Cactus gears when the current server terminates."

And here is an older message that I received from them on 20 Jan 2021:

"The server that holds the firmware will still operate at least up to 30 Jun 2021. It may be extended to the year end. We will announce the deadline publicly when we have a decision on the server management in the future. But the current updater will work at least to 30 Jun. That’s the only thing we can promise.

I’m sorry that we do not have the manpower now to design and develop a new update method, as it requires some code changes on all the Cactus equipment.

Thanks for your support all the years,
Cactus Support"

Many thanks to MarkJerling on Pentax Forums for sharing their correspondence with the broader photography community via this forum. I hope Pentax Forum finds this new information to be useful and positive. Cheers
01-27-2021, 01:59 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Kay. And, welcome to the forum!
Feel free to share your link here.
02-11-2021, 02:55 AM   #45

Anyone managed to secure the different firmware versions?

I've only the v6ii but clicked through all options to download the different versions to different directories but the software will need tweaking to use the files rather than downloading from the server each time.

It would be nice if Cactus made the software available as open source as a parting gesture to loyal customers.