Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 12:31 AM   #46
Forum Member

Hensel also used cactus transceiver for their certo line up. Wonder what will happen....

02-12-2021, 12:32 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kempy Quote
I've only the v6ii but clicked through all options to download the different versions to different directories but the software will need tweaking to use the files rather than downloading from the server each time.
You should be able to place the version you wish to upload to a device in the Firmware Updater's directory (with its standard, generic name) and then initiate the update.

It shouldn't be necessary for the server to still function for this to work.
02-12-2021, 12:36 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GQPhdFBI Quote
Hensel also used cactus transceiver for their certo line up. Wonder what will happen....
Hensel only used the super basic V5 radio system. It appears they were too cheap to use at least the V6, let alone the V6II. This does not bode well for them to negotiate a deal with Cactus for them to be able to continue to use the technology.
02-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You should be able to place the version you wish to upload to a device in the Firmware Updater's directory (with its standard, generic name) and then initiate the update.

The update software doesn't enable the Update button until it's dpwnloaed the requested version.
Needs modifying to work without server lookup

03-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #50

I think we need a new shopping experience.

Now we want to have a product which has warranty! In future we need to have a guarantee that a company will be in business for the next 5 years, otherwise money back ;-)

For me it is a kind of Deja Vu. Last September the 75 years old company "Metz" goes in Chapter 11 and throw out everything (also the lightning division) and made a restart with only television sets! I am 100% sure that no photograph in the world would buy a TV-Set from Metz.

I have about a dozen of different Metz flashes, which will be breaked because their will be no implementation of new Cameras on the market. I think the decision to stop with flashes is that everyone want to have cheaper products and a lot of stuff comes only from China (especially the world is flooded with cheap junk from Yongnuo)
At this moment Firmware for Metz is only available from a Canadian Server but for how long? Anything new we couldn't expect!

I would be interested to know why they (cactus) stop business? The idea of mix different brands of flashes was brilliant! Bad Business Strategy? Covid-19? Regulation from China against Hong Kong? I choose 5 years ago not for the cheapest product, but the one with the best feature set? What went wrong?

Regards
Gérard

Last edited by Gerard_Dirks; 03-21-2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: error
03-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
I would be interested to know why they (cactus) stop business?
They tried to launch the Cactus RQ250, a portable strobe somewhat similar to the Godox AD200, but the respective Kickstarter project did not attract sufficiently many backers.

I'm assuming the combination of increased competition of Godox & other vendors, plus the overall decline of the photography market, meant that their business model (which included in-house development of truly innovative products) was no longer sustainable.
03-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #52

THX Class A!

Let's hope that Ricoh doesn't do the same with Pentax? Everyone talk about MirrorLess? I can't hear it anymore!

04-17-2021, 02:29 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have last night received this message from Henry Chan, from Cactus. As you may be aware, it's been reported that Cactus may be shutting down so I figured I'd ask so as to get the full story. Here's Henry's reply:

"Dear Mark,

Yes, the news is true. We are getting out of the camera equipment business. As you know, our product line is very limited, and it is not sufficient to pay for the R&D costs for making new products, or providing further firmware updates for new camera models. We have left the business for quite a while indeed, but for the warranty services we tried our best to maintain as long as possible. Since most of our product warranties had become obsolete, we decided to close the service and warehouse by the end of December 2020.

The online store is to be closed next Monday (21 Dec). The website and firmware update will still be available for the next few months. We are not certain, but we will try our best to provide email technical support for a few months more as well.

Thanks for the support from Pentax Forums for all these years. I'm sure many of the Pentax users who use Cactus are introduced by your forum. We sincerely thank you so much for providing such a great platform for PentaxCactusian!

You may disclose the content of this email in your forum. We will make a short notice on our site a few days later.

With our best wishes,

Henry Chan"

Needless to say, I'm really disappointed to hear this. Cactus makes / made great products and it's sad to see them exit the market.
I'm sorry to hear this news as I use two of the V6II units on my K-70 in conjunction with two Metz flash units. The set-up has always worked well!
04-17-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I'm sorry to hear this news as I use two of the V6II units on my K-70 in conjunction with two Metz flash units. The set-up has always worked well!
Yes a pity. But, the gear is good and will continue to function, probably for many years to come. I used mine at a shoot last week.
01-03-2023, 01:30 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

I know this thread has been dead for a while. Is there any way to do this now? I have a V6ii transceiver on the original firmware that I would like to update. Any help gratefully received!
01-05-2023, 07:42 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I have a V6ii transceiver on the original firmware that I would like to update.
Have you installed the firmware upgrade software by Cactus?

Are you using Windows?
01-06-2023, 12:12 AM   #57

I downloaded the installer to my Mac and ran it - it opens but then nothing happens with no options to download and install firmware. I have access to a Windows machine if that might work better?
01-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I downloaded the installer to my Mac and ran it - it opens but then nothing happens with no options to download and install firmware. I have access to a Windows machine if that might work better?
You might be able to install a firmware, if you place a respective firmware version into the installation directory of the firmware installer software. EDIT: This works if the Cactus Firmware Updater is old enough (v2.01, works, for instance).
Can you access the latter on your Mac?

I could give you the location for Windows.

Last edited by Class A; 04-04-2023 at 09:00 PM.