Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Seeking some guidance on off camera flash system

Apologies, this is a bit rambling.....

I'll restrict this query to Godox but if you think other systems might be more suitable that's fine, I'm interested to hear. I guess with the recently posted notice that Cactus are bowing out, we might forget about their offer.

I currently have a Pentax KP body. I have other cameras too but in terms of a lighting system I'm looking for this to be the main body. So any other bodies will either be compatible or not and Im not going to sweat too much about that.

I don't have a huge budget so I want to keep it under control.

I have Nikon speedlights - SB600, 28 & 24. Ideally I don't want to buy new/replacement flash though I imagine that might be necessary or cheaper but I would prefer to work with what I have with the minimal outlay.

My ideal would be to have a transmitter attached to the camera body from which I can control the flash units. ideally, control would mean
- full adjustments to flash head zoom and power output etc.
- TTL
- HSS
- Manual

The Godox XPRO-P TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for Pentax Cameras appears to offer what I want so that looks good. It also has the bonus appeal that it's part of a pretty comprehensive system so whilst I'm currently looking at a portable set up it can grow in other directions if I want later. Downside is that it looks a tad bulky.

Question then is what receiver do I put on the Nikon speedlights? There is the GODOX X2T (Nikon) but that looks like some other type of trigger and it looks pretty bulky to sit on a flash. Will it play with the X Pro P Pentax transmitter on the camera without losing HSS, TTL, Manual control etc?

And assuming that is all good - the transmitter & 3 receivers - it's costing approx £200 +.

At that price I could sell the long in the tooth Nikon speedlights and buy 3 Godox flash units with a built in transmitter/receiver like the Godox TT350F. I think this then eradicates all the extra gadgetry like the X PRO P and results in a tidier system.

My problem is a lack of experience and knowledge of the Godox system, indeed all other systems. I've used Nikon's proprietary CLS and the ubiquitous ebay triggers (which are actually an alternative to everything I've written above) but control of each unit is a pita when the flashes are located several or more metres apart (having to run from one unit to the other).

So I'm looking for a little guidance here because I don't know that I have understood correctly what I've looked at and I certainly have not assessed the relative merits or otherwise of this sort of system or alternatives. The only things i have gathered is that the Nikon system is pretty straight forward by comparison.

12-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Written before the KP, but has a lot of info, including off-camera flash.
12-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #3

QuoteQuote:
And assuming that is all good - the transmitter & 3 receivers - it's costing approx £200 +.
I have the Godox Xpro-P and two godox tt600, there is no need for receiver if your flash communicate with the xpro p like those flashes. I believe you can use ttl fontion with flash for other mount with ttl ( like canon or nikon godox v860ii flash ) with the xpro p but since I don't have a ttl flash I can't say I have tested it.
12-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Question then is what receiver do I put on the Nikon speedlights?
Your Nikon flash will fire from a Godox X1R-N, but my understanding is that it will receive minimal support from either of the Godox Pentax P-TTL compatible controllers. I would expect no more than support as a dumb manual flash and at best basic dedication and maybe power control, but not i-TTL, HSS, or trailing curtain sync with other than Godox-brand flash.

A good resource might be a Godox vendor in England who may be able to give a clear yes/no for specific options.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-21-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Wrong generation RX
12-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you want to re-use your old Nikon SB-24, SB-28 and SB-600 then a Godox X-Pro trigger is no use.

You would need the right combination of Cactus V6 transceivers. Read up on whether you'd need mk I or mk ii version's.

Godox triggers essentially only works with Godox flashes.

I'd suggest saving up the money and going all Godox.

If you want to re-use your old Nikon flashes get optical adaptors and accept you will have to set there power levels manually.

My two cents.

Last edited by howieb101; 12-21-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Typo
12-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
They make dedicated (X1RN) RX capable of i-TTL when paired with a Nikon flash and a compatible TX on a Nikon camera. That is where things get complicated. I doubt that those RX can do Godox TTL, but may very well present as a dumb trigger or one capable of setting flash intensity, wake-up, etc. when grouped to a X2T-P or an XPro-P.

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2rn.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-21-2020 at 04:34 PM.
12-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They make dedicated (X1RN) RX capable of i-TTL when paired with a Nikon flash and a compatible TX on a Nikon camera. That is where things get complicated. I doubt that those RX can do Godox TTL, but may very well present as a dumb trigger or one capable of setting flash intensity, wake-up, etc. when grouped to a X2T-P or an XPro-P.

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2rn.html?

Steve
You are correct Steve. Never knew that until today.

I think best case with an X-Pro P and X1R-N would be manual exposure control. Probably no hss and no flash zoom. That probably wouldn't be so bad.

Just a question if whether the economics make sense.

12-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #8

...what receiver do I put on the Nikon speedlights?
Sadly, you don't. You get Godox speedlights instead. If you need to use legacy TTL speedlights cross-brand, then the Cactus V6 II/X-TTL system is probably your best bet, but Cactus is getting out of the business.

QuoteQuote:
There is the GODOX X2T (Nikon) but that looks like some other type of trigger and it looks pretty bulky to sit on a flash.
It's a dedicated transmitter, not a receiver/transceiver unit. It won't work to trigger a flash on its hotshoe. That hotshoe is if you want an on-camera speedlight as well as an on-camera transmitter. But all the current 2.4 GHz Godox speedlights have built in transceivers and can do double duty as both light and transmitter, so you don't have to do the sandwich thing.

QuoteQuote:
Will it play with the X Pro P Pentax transmitter on the camera without losing HSS, TTL, Manual control etc?
If we're now talking about the X1R-N receiver, no it will not. It becomes a manual-only trigger. No TTL, no HSS. But you may still have M power control. Unlike the transceivers in the speedlights, the dedicated X1R receivers (which only come in Canon, Nikon, and Sony flavors) cannot do cross-brand TTL.

The two main units you may want to consider getting (assuming you don't need an on-camera speedlight) are either the TT600 or the TT685-C. If you need it to do TTL/HSS on-camera as well, your only two choices are the TT350-P and the V1-P. Unfortunately, Godox never released a V350-P, TT685-P, or V860 II-P.

The TT600 is a single-pin manual-only speedlight, similar to a YN-560IV. So, on a hotshoe, all a camera can tell it to do is fire. But the built-in Godox transceiver allows for M power control, group on/off control, and HSS. It is not firmware upgradeable. But. It is only US$60, so putting together a three or four-light setup with one is relatively inexpensive.

The TT685-C (for Canon; $110) is the only TT685 unit that can be firmware-upgraded to be a P-TTL/HSS radio off-camera unit in the Godox system. Unfortunately, the TT685-N cannot. And if you still have Nikon gear, that would have been the better choice (as it can do Godox radio and Nikon's optical CLS/AWL). The V860II-N can be updated for P-TTL compatibility as an off-camera radio unit. But it's more expensive ($180) than the TT685, because it uses a li-on battery pack, which gives is 2.8x the battery life of a set of 4xAAs.

QuoteQuote:
The only things i have gathered is that the Nikon system is pretty straight forward by comparison.
This is probably because, as best I can figure out, the Godox system was more or less reverse-engineered off a Canon 600EX-RT. It's going to feel ultra-weird to a Nikon shooter.

Just me, but the best sources for information on Godox I've found are the flashhavoc website, and Robert Hall's youtube channel.
12-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
If we're now talking about the X1R-N receiver, no it will not. It becomes a manual-only trigger. No TTL, no HSS. But you may still have M power control.
That is my thought, and something that may be worth pursuing. Being able to use those two Nikon flash as wireless controlled speedlights with M power control is not a small thing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-22-2020 at 12:06 PM.
12-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The TT600 is a single-pin manual-only speedlight, similar to a YN-560IV. So, on a hotshoe, all a camera can tell it to do is fire. But the built-in Godox transceiver allows for M power control, group on/off control, and HSS.
Are you saying that with the X2Pro P on a Pentax camera, the TT600 can do HSS? If so, that is new to me and pretty cool.

Steve
12-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #11

Are you saying that with the X2Pro P on a Pentax camera, the TT600 can do HSS? ...
Yes. It can do HSS as a radio slave. See this article. (Since then, firmware updates have made the V860II and AD200 P-TTL compatible as well).

QuoteQuote:
If so, that is new to me and pretty cool.
Yup. It's definitely cool and the main reason I'd recommend a Godox TT600 over a Yongnuo YN-560 setup. Granted, you can do remote wake-up and zoom with the YN-560 III/IV/-660s, and you can't with a TT600, but HSS tends to be far more useful for me.

Last edited by inkista; 12-22-2020 at 12:31 PM.
12-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Granted, you can do remote wake-up and zoom with the YN-560 III/IV/-660s, and you can't with a TT600, but HSS tends to be far more useful for me.
Those are features that I do use with my YN-560 setup, but it HSS might be the tipping point if I were doing more outdoor flash work.

Steve
12-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Written before the KP, but has a lot of info, including off-camera flash.
Yes thanks. A great piece of work and the Supplement too. I was aware of this but found it didn't help when it came to wrapping my head around the various Godox components and how they interact/play together.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 03:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
I have the Godox Xpro-P and two godox tt600, there is no need for receiver if your flash communicate with the xpro p like those flashes. I believe you can use ttl fontion with flash for other mount with ttl ( like canon or nikon godox v860ii flash ) with the xpro p but since I don't have a ttl flash I can't say I have tested it.
Thanks. This is starting to look a bit clearer now. I've just watched a load of video reviews etc. Someone below also mentioned the TT600. It looks like I might go with that. I can afford to forsake the TTL if I must and reacquire it later by adding a different flash.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:00 AM ----------

Your Nikon flash will fire from a Godox X1R-N, but my understanding is that it will receive minimal support from either of the Godox Pentax P-TTL compatible controllers. I would expect no more than support as a dumb manual flash and at best basic dedication and maybe power control, but not i-TTL, HSS, or trailing curtain sync with other than Godox-brand flash.

A good resource might be a Godox vendor in England who may be able to give a clear yes/no for specific options.

Steve
Thanks again. I'm veering towards letting the Nikon lights sail away after reading the replies here and doing some further research. They seem useless and I have no intention of investing in Nikon gear going forward.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If you want to re-use your old Nikon SB-24, SB-28 and SB-600 then a Godox X-Pro trigger is no use.

You would need the right combination of Cactus V6 transceivers. Read up on whether you'd need mk I or mk ii version's.

I'd suggest saving up the money and going all Godox.

If you want to re-use your old Nikon flashes get optical adaptors and accept you will have to set there power levels manually.

My two cents.
Appreciate that. If Cactus hadn't announced their departure from the business I think that's where I'd be heading. In a way tho, starting from scratch and rebuilding a coherent lighting system is likely a smarter move for me.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:32 AM ----------

Sadly, you don't. You get Godox speedlights instead. If you need to use legacy TTL speedlights cross-brand, then the Cactus V6 II/X-TTL system is probably your best bet, but Cactus is getting out of the business.

Just to say I really appreciate the length and detail of your post, it has been so helpful in helping me get my head round this whole subject. Whether or not I keep the Nikon speedlights and attempt to integrate them I think I've decided to go in whole Godox and get 2 of TT600's and then it's just a matter of which transmitter.

There's barely any price difference between the X2T and the X Pro, so I'm not sure what that's all about. There is the X1T which is cheaper but I presume an older iteration of the X2T.

Anyway, I'll continue digesting al of this Godox lore before diving in. Tho I can't see any alternatives and their system looks incredible as a whole.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:34 AM ----------

Yes thanks. A great piece of work and the Supplement too. I was aware of this but found it didn't help when it came to wrapping my head around the various Godox components and how they interact/play together.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 03:47 AM ----------

Thanks. This is starting to look a bit clearer now. I've just watched a load of video reviews etc. Someone below also mentioned the TT600. It looks like I might go with that. I can afford to forsake the TTL if I must and reacquire it later by adding a different flash.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:00 AM ----------

Thanks again. I'm veering towards letting the Nikon lights sail away after reading the replies here and doing some further research. They seem useless and I have no intention of investing in Nikon gear going forward.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:03 AM ----------

Appreciate that. If Cactus hadn't announced their departure from the business I think that's where I'd be heading. In a way tho, starting from scratch and rebuilding a coherent lighting system is likely a smarter move for me.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 04:32 AM ----------

Just to say I really appreciate the length and detail of your post, it has been so helpful in helping me get my head round this whole subject. Whether or not I keep the Nikon speedlights and attempt to integrate them I think I've decided to go in whole Godox and get 2 of TT600's and then it's just a matter of which transmitter.

There's barely any price difference between the X2T and the X Pro, so I'm not sure what that's all about. There is the X1T which is cheaper but I presume an older iteration of the X2T.

Anyway, I'll continue digesting al of this Godox lore before diving in. Tho I can't see any alternatives and their system looks incredible as a whole.
Well, just a massive THANKS for all the input, help, suggestions, links and discussion. I've found it all really helpful. So thanks to all for chiming in.
12-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #14

I'm also planning to add a TTL Flash to my kit, but the difference from the x2t and the x-pro is the screen and layout seemed easier to use on the xpro, that's why I went for this one. BUT, digging in the menu is not that easy sometimes, and recently I found this, Flashpoint launches "exclusive" R2 Pro Mark II upgrade for the Godox XPro - DIY Photography wich is basically a modified version of the xpro ( Godox / flashpoint is the same but with slight modifications ) and the layout seem even better than the x-pro.

Good luck for choosing, but they are all capable flash controllers in my opinion and for your initial budget of £200 you might be able to get an pro-p, two tt600 or replace one with a tt350p ( if you want a ttl capable one but less powerfull)
12-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
I'm also planning to add a TTL Flash to my kit, but the difference from the x2t and the x-pro is the screen and layout seemed easier to use on the xpro, that's why I went for this one. BUT, digging in the menu is not that easy sometimes, and recently I found this, Flashpoint launches "exclusive" R2 Pro Mark II upgrade for the Godox XPro - DIY Photography wich is basically a modified version of the xpro ( Godox / flashpoint is the same but with slight modifications ) and the layout seem even better than the x-pro.

Good luck for choosing, but they are all capable flash controllers in my opinion and for your initial budget of £200 you might be able to get an pro-p, two tt600 or replace one with a tt350p ( if you want a ttl capable one but less powerfull)
That Mark II looks appealing but there's nowhere in the UK selling it and with postage and import tax it more than double the price. Still from my pitiable current set up it's all a great improvement. I'll tolerate the menu to get results.