Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pratical side of the Pentax Copipod?

Years ago I picked up a Pentax Copipod. It was cool, stashes away in a nice leather container. I don't use it very often because 1) It seems it is only useful with a 50mm lens and 2) It takes a lot of maneuvering to get it to any size other than fully extended. I'd rather use a more conventional copy stand. I have used it a couple of times with a Pentax 100mm f4 A macro, but it starts to feel a bit top-heavy and I'm afraid it might topple over with its spindly legs , So I was wondering, what was the intended use of this stand? Is it really something more than just a novelty accessory or was there a wisdom to the specific extended dimensions of this devise?

12-28-2020, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
So I was wondering, what was the intended use of this stand?
The key is in the name. From the SP 500 manual:

QuoteQuote:
This new portable copying stand fits all models of the Honeywell Pentax and can be used anywhere for copying documents, artwork, photographs, stamps, etc. The Copipod consists of a lens board complete with adapter rings for 46mm and 49mm sizes, and four calibrated telescoping legs. It can be set up in seconds, and when disassembled, fits neatly into a pouch-type case which occupies very little space. Lightweight, yet extremely rigid, the Copipod is a practical accessory which will fill a need for many Honeywell Pentax owners.
Whether it is any good at its intended task is another matter. For those who are less in the know, a photo of the Copipod is below:

I would consider it a collectible novelty unsuitable for other than light kit.

Added: Pentax also made a full-on copy stand with wooden base similar to an enlarger, but with a camera mount point instead of an enlarger head.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-28-2020 at 02:19 PM.
12-28-2020, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #3

I think the name gives away the intended usage for this apparatus: "Copipod" = Copy. Mainly for photographing or copying documents or pages from books. The field of view on a full-frame camera at the set distance with recommended lenses probably bears this out.

Useful for lawyers, archivists, insurance people and spies in the field no doubt.

Pentax in the Movies - Page 25 - PentaxForums.com
12-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And how is it even usable without a flippy screen?

12-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The key is in the name. From the SP 500 manual:

Whether it is any good at its intended task is another matter. For those who are less in the know, a photo of the Copipod is below:

I would consider it a collectible novelty unsuitable for other than light kit.

Added: Pentax also made a full-on copy stand with wooden base similar to an enlarger, but with a camera mount point instead of an enlarger head.

Steve
I would say you covered this item quite well.
12-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And how is it even usable without a flippy screen?
Er - right-angle viewfinder ?
12-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Useful for lawyers, archivists, insurance people and spies in the field no doubt.
Yep! Back in the day office when copy machines were uncommon, a camera was a common stand-in for use in the field.

Steve

12-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The copipod is a bit light weight for modern DSLRs but the intended use was a 50mm lens on a film camera. So a lot less weight.

I've used mine a few times when shooting stock images. I think I used K-5II with the DA 35mm macro at the time. It worked OK but there are better systems.
12-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I suspect this would work better with a mirrorless camera than a DSLR.
12-28-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that film was slower and legacy lenses had less edge to edge sharpness outside of say a nice macro 50. This was a simple way to support a camera at an appropriate distance for a steady shot of the subject which was mainly text. It’s usefulness today is limited.
12-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Remember that film was slower and legacy lenses had less edge to edge sharpness outside of say a nice macro 50. This was a simple way to support a camera at an appropriate distance for a steady shot of the subject which was mainly text. It’s usefulness today is limited.
It could be handy for certain video tasks.
12-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
It could be handy for certain video tasks.
You’ve lost me. Can you explain some that this would help with?
12-28-2020, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You’ve lost me. Can you explain some that this would help with?
Drawing/painting videos, paper based stop animation, “how to take your phone apart” type videos. Of course if you do such things regularly this wouldn’t be ideal, but for occasional use it could work well enough.
12-29-2020, 12:46 AM   #14

Attaching your cam to a super clamp or knock off and the clamp to a book shelf or lamp or something would make more sense to me. You wouldn't have those pesky legs in the way.

It always surprises me when I pick up one of my manual focus film SLRs on how light and compact they feel compared to my K10D. Even all metal monsters like the Pentax K1000 or Minolta SRT-101.
12-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #15

So far the only time that I shoot straight down from above is when I am shooting disassembled electronics in my shop with my K-70, and I built a bracket fastened to a floor joist for that purpose. I may, in the future, want to shoot documents in the field. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced portable copy stand usable with a K-70 and a D-FA-100mm macro lens (49mm filter thread)? I could keep an eye out for a Copipod as it fits 49mm.