Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2021, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Godox controller doesn't play well with rechargeables, reporting inaccurate battery levels. You head off to a shoot after checking that you have good batteries only to discover a dead or dying controller 30 minutes into it.
I have both TT350 x2 & the Xpro-p running EBL 2800 mah rechargeables haven't had a problem, but I also don't shoot much !

01-01-2021, 06:01 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow! Such a great bunch of helpful posts in such a short period of time. You folk are great (as always).

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I have 2 as well as the Xpro-p trigger, works well, balance is good for me, an amateur!
Image Location: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/125-flashes-lighting-studio/...y-imgp0018.jpg
The exif data is from the last pic, quick shot I took using Imagesync on my phone and uploaded from the K-70.
Wow! Thanks for the photos. They really help. The link is quite good too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
140mm is the height Steve.
That is what I thought for the flash fully stretched out.
01-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The Godox controller doesn't play well with rechargeables, reporting inaccurate battery levels. You head off to a shoot after checking that you have good batteries only to discover a dead or dying controller 30 minutes into it.
The article on batteries above does state nimh batteries will self discharge quicker, I would suggest a quick recharge before you know you are about to do a shoot!
01-01-2021, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There seems to be some discussion regarding NiMH cells and Godox product. Godox explicitly recommends them for the TT350P, but some the single review on this site says they don't work. The manual for the controllers is explicit that 1.5v alkaline are preferred for those units.

Steve
I just checked and I have rechargeables in the TT350 and no apparent problem with it. I also used to run them in my Godox trigger.

I can state for a fact they did not report an accurate battery level on the trigger, Middle of a shoot it went dead with no warning and my first thought was a failed unit. The TT350 became my trigger and I put my second camera away since it was the trigger for that one.

Fortunately another photog had some spare alkalines to get me back in business, and also mentioned the rechargeables and trigger was a known issue. Lost 30 minutes shooting and time with one particular model but otherwise no biggie. When I got home I did some looking and found Robert Hall explaining it was real.

So use alkalines in the trigger.

01-01-2021, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can state for a fact they did not report an accurate battery level on the trigger, Middle of a shoot it went dead with no warning and my first thought was a failed unit.
That must have been very frustrating. I haven't had this problem with using the Powerex rechargeables in the XProP (or TT350P). They have stayed charged over many weeks of occasional use. The battery level meter often doesn't show them as fully charged even when they are - but I have encountered the same thing with rechargeables in a number of battery-powered devices.
01-02-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Rechargeables work fine

The Godox controller doesn't play well with rechargeables, reporting inaccurate battery levels.
All Godox/Flashpoint controllers I tried (three of them) work very well with rechargeables.

The battery level indicator is the only issue, it reports "less than full" shortly after insertion and even "low" after a short while, even though there is a lot of life left.

The reason is of course that rechargeables only deliver 1.2V per cell, instead of 1.5V, and the battery level indicator is calibrated to work with Alkaline batteries. There is no chance to make the battery level indicator work with rechargeables because they will hold the 1.2V almost from beginning to end, i.e., unlike with Alkalines, one cannot use a voltage drop as a substitute for the remaining capacity.

Apart from the inconvenience of not getting a real "battery low" warning, there are zero problems. I don't experience misfires, I don't experience short battery life, I don't experience range issues.

It always pains me when people point to the manual and claim that rechargeables don't work in the triggers when they clearly do. I understand why Godox put the note into the manual, after all the battery level indicator won't be working properly, but there is no reason to not use rechargeable. They are cheaper in the long run, much more sustainable, and present no issues.

I urge everyone to try quality rechargeables, e.g., Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops, for themselves. They don't self-discharge like NiMh rechargeables do, they'll hold their charge for months and work fine in almost all electronics. FWIW, I've used them in Cactus V6II and Cactus RF60x flashes, and never encountered a single issue.

P.S.: The Cactus user manual states the following figures for the Cactus V6II when used in transmitter mode:
Alkaline (1000mAh): 55h
Rechargeables NiMH (2500mAh): 61h
I don't know how Eneloops would perform, but I would expect them to perform better than the older NiMH technology.
In short, there is no battery life issue.

Last edited by Class A; 01-02-2021 at 02:13 PM. Reason: .
01-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
All Godox/Flashpoint controllers I tried (three of them) work very well with rechargeables.

The battery level indicator is the only issue, it reports "less than full" shortly after insertion and even "low" after a short while, even though there is a lot of life left.

The reason is of course that rechargeables only deliver 1.2V per cell, instead of 1.5V, and the battery level indicator is calibrated to work with Alkaline batteries. There is no chance to make the battery level indicator work with rechargeables because they will hold the 1.2V almost from beginning to end, i.e., unlike with Alkalines, one cannot use a voltage drop as a substitute for the remaining capacity.

Apart from the inconvenience of not getting a real "battery low" warning, there are zero problems. I don't experience misfires, I don't experience short battery life, I don't experience range issues.

It always pains me when people point to the manual and claim that rechargeables don't work in the triggers when they clearly do.rechargeables do, they'll hold their charge for months and work fine in almost all electronics. FWIW, I've used them in Cactus V6II and Cactus RF60x flashes, and never encountered a single issue.
Of course they work on Godox controllers. They worked great on mine thru a couple of shoots until the controller died unexpectedly still showing acceptable battery life.

AFAICT no one said they don't work. But I'll guarantee you won't know when they're on their last leg, Either keep fresh rechargeable at the ready or change them out before every shoot would be my advice. Or just use alkalines in the first place.

01-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Of course they work on Godox controllers.
OK, great that we agree.

It did not sound like you were convinced they work with Godox controllers since you wrote
"The Godox controller doesn't play well with rechargeables, ..."
and
"You head off to a shoot after checking that you have good batteries only to discover a dead or dying controller 30 minutes into it."
Note that you did not mention at first that this happened after having used the batteries a number of times already, allowing the interpretation that you had just charged the batteries and they let you down after 30min.

N.B. you should not see that "you have good batteries" after the first five minutes of usage. If the batteries were 30min. away from being depleted, there is no way a Godox controller would show them as being "good", at least that applies to the type of batteries I'm using.

AFAICT no one said they don't work.
I was referencing the ton of posts on Facebook where people constantly incorrectly blame rechargeables for misfires or other issues. It always irks me when posters get misled to give up on rechargeables.

Anyhow, glad to hear that you are not a detractor.
01-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I don’t own the flash but I would recommend the Flashpoint version for support.
https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminip.html?
I second that.
01-05-2021, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #25

Mine was an Open box return at Adorama and made for Fuji. The flash doesn't care what camera it was made for when it's used as a slave off-camera. ...
Uh... it depends. Mostly/sorta true until it isn't.

I have a TT350-O for my Panasonic GX-7. It works fine with my XPro-O as a radio slave and on-camera. But when I try to slave it to the XPro-C on my 5DMkII? No TTL. Only fires at full power. I do get HSS and M power control. And using the XPro-F on my X100T, it's fine: TTL, HSS, everything. And some folks report that the TT350-S also works in TTL from a Nikon Godox transmitter and vice versa. But I think it may depend upon the specific combination of gear you're using.

When I complained about the Canon TTL incompatibility to Flashpoint support (brands@adorama.com; not their regular support), I was told categorically that the TT350 is not designed to do cross-brand TTL. And the firmware updates have never added that compatibility, the way it's added to the other Godox system lights, like the AD Witstros and the full-sized TTL speedlights (TT685, V860II, V1). I've never had issues with my TT685-C being used across all three of my transmitters.

A lot of sites make the claim of Godox gear being completely cross-brand compatible, without noting specific exceptions, like the TT350/V350, and that only the Canon version of the TT685 being upgradable to be Pentax P-TTL compatible (no idea why only the Canon version, since all flavors of the V860II got that firmware update).

Also feel I should point out that while the TT350 is really great and I own one and love it, it does have some shortcomings compared to a full-sized Godox speedlight. It is slower to recycle (being powered only by 2xAA), and it's a stop less powerful. Its head only swivels 270º, not 360º (in landscape orientation, you're missing the quadrant to the left behind you, which sucks for bouncing). It has no recycle beep. No sync port, and no external battery pack port.

All of which are issues a $60 TT600 doesn't have (it just can't do TTL, is single-pin so hotshoe use is limited, and cannot be firmware upgraded).

The li-on version of the TT350, the V350, has never gotten a Pentax version. The TT350 also tends not to get firmware updated as frequently/quickly as the full-sized models. For example, the ID function was added in a firmware update for the TT685-C on Dec. 2017. Took until Aug of 2018 before the TT350-C got it.

Harder for you guys, though, not to go for a TT350-P since Godox never came out with a TT685-P or V860 II-P and a V1-P is so expensive. (sigh).

Last edited by inkista; 01-05-2021 at 04:06 PM.
01-07-2021, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

I got a TT350S (for my Sony setup) for Christmas, and I'm impressed by this nice little package! Really compact, reliable, interface simple to use (not better than Metz's 52 AF-1 but pretty good). The flash is decently powerful, better than expected with its small size and only 2 batteries. I really like it, and with a small camera (Pentax APS-C, Sony A7C, etc) it's superb. It can also serve as a master or a TTL slave within Godox's ecosystem.
05-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I got a TT350S (for my Sony setup) for Christmas, and I'm impressed by this nice little package! Really compact, reliable, interface simple to use (not better than Metz's 52 AF-1 but pretty good). The flash is decently powerful, better than expected with its small size and only 2 batteries. I really like it, and with a small camera (Pentax APS-C, Sony A7C, etc) it's superb. It can also serve as a master or a TTL slave within Godox's ecosystem.
Did you actually test your TT350S cross-brand ? Ie. use it with a Pentax godox trigger for example ? And did the TTL work ?
05-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Did you actually test your TT350S cross-brand ? Ie. use it with a Pentax godox trigger for example ? And did the TTL work ?
I don't have any TTL Pentax triggers, sadly. I'm not sure it would work but I see no fundamental reason why not. Their lights like the AD100Pro work in wireless TTL cross-brands.