Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2021, 12:11 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Godox TT350P Size, Balance, and Portability

All the stir regarding the soon to be announced K-3III camera has set me thinking about what I might do for a carry-along flash should I choose to upgrade. The Godox TT350P has floated to the top based on its very attractive price point, feature set and apparent small size. It is the latter point that has me puzzled in that the published measurements W x H x D : 140 x 62 x 38 mm appear to be sort of unreal; 140mm wide is greater than that of my K-3.

Do any of you who own the TT350P have a photo of it on your Pentax camera and/or have comments about size/balance when attached? Notes regarding portability/pocketability are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

(...no not interested in the Metz M400 that just went off sale...)

01-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Kobie has this.
01-01-2021, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All the stir regarding the soon to be announced K-3III camera has set me thinking about what I might do for a carry-along flash should I choose to upgrade. The Godox TT350P has floated to the top based on its very attractive price point, feature set and apparent small size. It is the latter point that has me puzzled in that the published measurements W x H x D : 140 x 62 x 38 mm appear to be sort of unreal; 140mm wide is greater than that of my K-3.

Do any of you who own the TT350P have a photo of it on your Pentax camera and/or have comments about size/balance when attached? Notes regarding portability/pocketability are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I have 2 as well as the Xpro-p trigger, works well, balance is good for me, an amateur!
Image Location: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/125-flashes-lighting-studio/...y-imgp0018.jpg
The exif data is from the last pic, quick shot I took using Imagesync on my phone and uploaded from the K-70.

Image Size: 1350 x 900
Exif Version:
Color Space: 1
Pixel X Dimension: 6000
Pixel Y Dimension: 4000
Maker Note: 1104
Date Time Original: 2021:01:01 03:09:24
Exposure Time: 1/80
F Number: f / 2.80
Exposure Program: Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Metering Mode: Pattern
Focal Length: 35mm
Scene Type: Directly photographed
White Balance: Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 52mm
ExifIFDPointer: 654
GPSInfoIFDPointer: 17296
Resolution Unit: 2
Date Time: 2021:01:01 03:09:24
Make: RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Model: PENTAX K-70
Software: PENTAX K-70 Ver. 1.11
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A515W  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A515W  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by SharkyCA; 01-01-2021 at 01:51 AM.
01-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
W x H x D : 140 x 62 x 38 mm appear to be sort of unreal; 140mm wide is greater than that of my K-3.
140mm is the height Steve. 62mm W, 38mm D. As you can see from Kobie's video and SharkyCA's photos, it's very compact. And light weight too. Sits comfortably atop even a compact body like the K-S2. Very portable - I slot mine, and an XPro-P in a Crumpler bag with KP, DA 55-300, DA 15 and DA 20-40 with room for another small lens.

The corollary of its compactness is that, running on 2 AA batteries, its recycle time is slow and battery life is relatively short (although quite adequate for my modest needs). I just carry spare batteries. It runs fine on Powerex rechargeables.

The only other on-camera PTTL Godox flash is the V1. Still no sign of a PTTL version of the TT685 unfortunately, for those occasions when more on-camera power is required. But there is a wide range of Godox strobes that can be controlled off-camera, in either manual or PTTL mode, by an on-camera TT350P or XPro-P (including, as I understand it, a TT685C with a firmware upgrade).

Last edited by Des; 01-01-2021 at 02:41 AM.
01-01-2021, 02:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Here is a version sold in Canada under their brand name of Strobepro, I should mention there was a firmware upgrade not long ago!
01-01-2021, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If I did more flash-lit photography, I'd seriously consider this Godox setup. The Xpro-P and two or three TT350P units would be a very nice P-TTL setup. I didn't realise how inexpensive this stuff is, either... Amazing
01-01-2021, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If I did more flash-lit photography, I'd seriously consider this Godox setup. The Xpro-P and two or three TT350P units would be a very nice P-TTL setup. I didn't realise how inexpensive this stuff is, either... Amazing
And you can use them to control non-pentax Godox TTL flashes as off camera flashes. Godox still does not make the 860's nor the 685's for Pentax PTTL. I use a TT860ii as an off camera flash that is made for Olympus/Panasonic TTL. Will probably pick up another this year.

01-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Further to your inquiry @stevebrot, you got me interested by way of this thread in what my little used Godox flashes can do and I found this review which you may like.

Good information! Godox TT350 Flash Review ? the Little Flash that Can
01-01-2021, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
140mm is the height Steve. 62mm W, 38mm D. As you can see from Kobie's video and SharkyCA's photos, it's very compact. And light weight too. Sits comfortably atop even a compact body like the K-S2. Very portable - I slot mine, and an XPro-P in a Crumpler bag with KP, DA 55-300, DA 15 and DA 20-40 with room for another small lens.

The corollary of its compactness is that, running on 2 AA batteries, its recycle time is slow and battery life is relatively short (although quite adequate for my modest needs). I just carry spare batteries. It runs fine on Powerex rechargeables.

The only other on-camera PTTL Godox flash is the V1. Still no sign of a PTTL version of the TT685 unfortunately, for those occasions when more on-camera power is required. But there is a wide range of Godox strobes that can be controlled off-camera, in either manual or PTTL mode, by an on-camera TT350P or XPro-P (including, as I understand it, a TT685C with a firmware upgrade).
Just an update, I use rechargeable 2800 mah batteries and don't have a problem either.
Battery Myths vs Battery Facts
01-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
And you can use them to control non-pentax Godox TTL flashes as off camera flashes. Godox still does not make the 860's nor the 685's for Pentax PTTL. I use a TT860ii as an off camera flash that is made for Olympus/Panasonic TTL. Will probably pick up another this year.
Mine was an Open box return at Adorama and made for Fuji. The flash doesn't care what camera it was made for when it's used as a slave off-camera. That took me a fair amount of research to figure out, but the used Fuji was so inexpensive it was worth the time.

I do prefer the V1 over the 860 FWIW.
01-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Mine was an Open box return at Adorama and made for Fuji. The flash doesn't care what camera it was made for when it's used as a slave off-camera. That took me a fair amount of research to figure out, but the used Fuji was so inexpensive it was worth the time.

I do prefer the V1 over the 860 FWIW.
I'm thinking about getting the V1 now that it's available for Pttl. Who knows, it may be an early birthday present. I know i can't wait for July!
01-01-2021, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Flashpoint (Adorama's name for the Godox brand) V1 & Flashpoint Zoom R2 along with the Flashpoint R2 Pro II Wireless Trigger for the two flashes. I use them with my KP. The V1 round head flash is heavier than most flashes and might be the reason the flash mount on my KP started cracking. Just a guess, maybe I shouldn't have carried it at my side, I use a wrist strap. Anyway, I am thinking of getting the Godox TT350P just to carry around in the bag. The 350 is much lighter and easier to carry. The reason I purchased the Adorama brand was their customer service when calling with a problem. I had to call twice trying to figure out using the R2 Pro II wireless trigger with the two flashes. Each time within a few seconds I was speaking to a represented who spoke English (I am in the USA) and very knowledgeable to my problem and walked me through the setup. Others have reported problems getting through to Godox customer service.

As for the cracked flash mount, I used epoxy glue to repair it, works great.
01-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Just an update, I use rechargeable 2800 mah batteries and don't have a problem either.
Battery Myths vs Battery Facts
The Godox controller doesn't play well with rechargeables, reporting inaccurate battery levels. You head off to a shoot after checking that you have good batteries only to discover a dead or dying controller 30 minutes into it.
01-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I don’t own the flash but I would recommend the Flashpoint version for support.

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminip.html?
01-01-2021, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Godox controller doesn't play well with rechargeables, reporting inaccurate battery levels. You head off to a shoot after checking that you have good batteries only to discover a dead or dying controller 30 minutes into it.
There seems to be some discussion regarding NiMH cells and Godox product. Godox explicitly recommends them for the TT350P, but some the single review on this site says they don't work. The manual for the controllers is explicit that 1.5v alkaline are preferred for those units.

Steve