Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Godox X2T trigger with Manual lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

ok. So I dived in and just got a Godox X2T trigger and a TT600 flash (with the intention of getting a couple more if I get on with it). Previously I was using Nikon speedlites with very early and unreliable (intermittent triggering) Cactus. That said I've tolerated them for a long time and they had the advantage of being brand agnostic. I could stick the trigger on a Lomo, Voightlander Bessa, Fuji X, Ricoh GR, Nikon - anything, film or digital, it all worked (intermittently!).

The X2T & TT600 were an instant dream with the KP. Fire every time, control from the camera. Simple, elegant, nice. Until I fitted a manual lens to discover (the horror!) the X2T doesn't play. Uh.

Pentaxians have been here before me ... I found this useful thread:

Godox system with Manual Focus Only Glass - PentaxForums.com

So. I'm wanting a solution that triggers the TT600 when Im using manual lenses (that is important) and I'd hope that the solution allows me to use the Godox system on my other (random selection of different brand) cameras. Well it would be nice.

If I have understood correctly the centre pin on the hot shoe communicates the trigger to sync shutter release with flash - the other contacts are brand specific and need to be bypassed when using manual lenses. As the KP lacks a sync port I need an adapter. I don't want to get the wrong thing or indeed something that functions intermittently.

Would this thing [JJC JSC-2 Hot Shoe Flash Adapter (Hot) with PC Sync Socket] work with the KP & manual lenses if I fit the Hot Shoe Flash Adapter on the KP and attach the X2T to it via a cable to the sync port? And could I get away with using it likewise on non Pentax brand cameras?

JJC JSC-2 Hot Shoe Flash Adapter with PC Sync Socket: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Or is there a better more reliable option. I don't really want to spend more cash than necessary to get the function.

01-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Would this thing [JJC JSC-2 Hot Shoe Flash Adapter (Hot) with PC Sync Socket] work with the KP & manual lenses if I fit the Hot Shoe Flash Adapter on the KP and attach the X2T to it via a cable to the sync port?
The gadget should do the trick, but note that you won't need an additional cable.

Just placing the hot-shoe adapter between the camera and the Godox triggers should do the trick.

I don't really want to spend more cash than necessary to get the function.
The only cheaper option I can think of is to mask some of the pins on the hot-shoe. It should not be necessary to isolate all of them. A piece of very thin cut out plastic might be durable enough to provide a solution that you can employ over and over again.
01-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The gadget should do the trick, but note that you won't need an additional cable.

Just placing the hot-shoe adapter between the camera and the Godox triggers should do the trick.

The only cheaper option I can think of is to mask some of the pins on the hot-shoe. It should not be necessary to isolate all of them. A piece of very thin cut out plastic might be durable enough to provide a solution that you can employ over and over again.
Oh thank you for replying. I have tried blocking the contacts - so far without success, the plastic gets dragged out of position as I slide the trigger into the shoe. I might give it one last try and failing that but that gadget and see if that works. Thanks again!
01-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh thank you for replying. I have tried blocking the contacts - so far without success, the plastic gets dragged out of position as I slide the trigger into the shoe. I might give it one last try and failing that but that gadget and see if that works. Thanks again!
Thanks for mentioning the issue! I had no idea even if perhaps I should have.

With no immediate plans for using a full manual lens on a shoot it's still really good to be aware of it. Thanks!

01-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Refresh my memory on this. Does the X2T-P simply ignore the center contact sync, even when the group is set to M or Multi?

Added: I have seen Kobie's video using a generic speedlight in the non-dedicated top shoe while firing a TT350P using wireless, both in M mode. Obviously, the X2T is providing sync to its top shoe, but from from which contact?*

Steve

* My Sigma EF610 DG Super uses the center contact when in M mode, FWIW

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-18-2021 at 06:17 PM.
01-19-2021, 03:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thanks for mentioning the issue! I had no idea even if perhaps I should have.

With no immediate plans for using a full manual lens on a shoot it's still really good to be aware of it. Thanks!
Ha. Yes it is good to be aware of it. I was a bit bummed when I couldn't get it to work. Tho hopefully that little show I linked to will be a solution, me hopes!

I want to use flash with a Tamron SP90 macro that I've had for a very long time so i need to solve the issue because buying an A. focus macro is not in my budget or desirable.

---------- Post added 01-19-21 at 03:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Refresh my memory on this. Does the X2T-P simply ignore the center contact sync, even when the group is set to M or Multi?

Added: I have seen Kobie's video using a generic speedlight in the non-dedicated top shoe while firing a TT350P using wireless, both in M mode. Obviously, the X2T is providing sync to its top shoe, but from from which contact?* LINK

Steve

* My Sigma EF610 DG Super uses the center contact when in M mode, FWIW
My limited understanding is that the centre pin is the universal contact, the other pins are what make each manufacturer different. By isolating the centre pin so that is the only active contact the camera will communicate the trigger to sync with the shutter and therefore it will be possible to use manual lenses (that being the problem for me) firing the flash as desired. The other contact pins being active obstruct the centre pin from doing the basic job of a flash because they are looking for more information than is communicated to the camera body by the manual lens.

Someone else will hopefully give you a more technically coherent response and if I'm wrong we'll hopefully get a correction!
01-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My limited understanding is that the centre pin is the universal contact, the other pins are what make each manufacturer different. By isolating the centre pin so that is the only active contact the camera will communicate the trigger to sync with the shutter and therefore it will be possible to use manual lenses (that being the problem for me) firing the flash as desired. The other contact pins being active obstruct the centre pin from doing the basic job of a flash because they are looking for more information than is communicated to the camera body by the manual lens.
Before I posted my question to @Class A;, I repeated some tests I had done in the past. I have adapters and cables that allow me to fire both a high compatibility P-TTL and a generic speedlight (uses center-pin only) flash simultaneously from the same on-camera hot shoe. Both the P-TTL flash and generic speedlight have access to all five contacts (center, digital, ready, mode, and rail) on the shoe, though the speedlight is limited to center and rail (i.e. regular sync) due to its foot design. Results with my K-3 were as follows:

Case 1: P-TTL flash in P-TTL mode, drive mode with 2s delay, shutter below 1/180s
  • Flash read displayed in viewfinder (indicates detection of Pentax-dedicated flash)
  • Preflash fired at beginning of 2s delay (P-TTL flash only)
  • Both flashes fired at end of 2s delay

Case 2: As above with center contact on camera masked
  • Flash read displayed in viewfinder
  • Preflash fired at beginning of 2s delay (P-TTL flash only)
  • P-TTL flash fired at end of 2s delay (does not require center contact)
  • Speedlight did not fire

Case 3: As Case 1, but with P-TTL flash in manual flash mode
  • Preflash did not fire
  • Both flashes fired at end of 2s delay

Case 4: As above with center contact on camera masked
  • Preflash did not fire
  • Neither flash fired at end of 2s delay
In past tests, I also included evaluation of both HSS and second curtain sync and was able observe that neither use the center contact. I have also done previous tests to demonstrate that use of a non-A-contact lens is similar to cases 3 and 4 above.

My conclusions are that the center contact provides X sync at speeds at 1/180s and below regardless of whether a P-TTL flash is present and regardless of that flash's mode; also that manual flash on my P-TTL unit (Sigma EF 610 DG Super) uses the center contact. Whether the X2T-P also does so or simply ignores the center contact is the question.

Based on the video I linked to above, it appears that the X2T-P is able to remote trigger a TT350P as part of an M-mode group. If it is not taking sync from the center contact, it is not clear how it is getting sync.

My suggestion is to double check that the group you are using on the X2T-P is set to M with neither HSS nor second curtain sync enabled.

Also double check that the lens mounted has a conductive base. The camera will not provide sync unless a lens is detected on the mount.* Edit: Got my lens quirks mixed up.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-19-2021 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fixed grevious error
01-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster

Well, just incase anyone passes through this thread in the future. The JJC JSC-2 Hot Shoe Flash Adapter (Hot) with PC Sync Socket] works with the KP.

I mounted the shoe to the KP and sat the X2T-P on top. I was able to adjust the power output of the flash unit in M mode without any issue.

I tried it with a manual K mount and no problem. I tried it with a M42 mount and again no problem.

I also sat a non branded cheapo trigger on top of the X2T-P and put a crappy receiver on a Speedlight SB600 with a coloured gel. The whole lot fired nicely. Obviously I couldn't make adjustments to the speedlights from the X2T-P but pleased to see it all working!
02-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #9

I haverecently bought this unit from Godox and came upon the same problem when tryinga manual macro lens. I simply wanted to add to this thread that I have triedsuccessfully the adhesive tape (basic stuff used in offices). I havecovered all the Godox X2T pins with the tape, and then cut a small openingabove the central pin. I then slapped it on a K5II with a manual Laowa lens andit worked fine!
I guessthis might be the cheapest option.
02-05-2021, 01:14 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by levalerian Quote
I haverecently bought this unit from Godox and came upon the same problem when tryinga manual macro lens. I simply wanted to add to this thread that I have triedsuccessfully the adhesive tape (basic stuff used in offices). I havecovered all the Godox X2T pins with the tape, and then cut a small openingabove the central pin. I then slapped it on a K5II with a manual Laowa lens andit worked fine!
I guessthis might be the cheapest option.
Good to hear you got it working. Frustrating we have to do these workarounds but at least we can. I was worried about using anything sticky for fear of bunging up a contact somehow.