Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Ring flash for Pentax KIII-Advice

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a Macro ring flash for my Pentax KIII. The last few months, I was trying to purchase the Pentax AF160FC Macro Ring Flash which has excellent reviews. This product seems discontinued and is no longer available on different marketplace, although I am looking for any used equipment for sell. Do anybody have other advice as good Ring flash that are more available to purchase (new or used) and is a good fit with the KIII?

Thanks,

Jean-François

01-24-2021, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a ring flash, but a Bolt led ring light that works for me. It is a continuous light source, which I prefer. I don't use it that often, but it does what I need it to do.
01-24-2021, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this marketplace listing. The price looks good and the seller ships worldwide...

(reduction) Pentax AF140C ringflash - PentaxForums.com

Steve
01-24-2021, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Sigma P-TTL EM-140 DG ring flash, if you can find it second hand. Mine works well.

01-24-2021, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubucjif Quote
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a Macro ring flash for my Pentax KIII. The last few months, I was trying to purchase the Pentax AF160FC Macro Ring Flash which has excellent reviews. This product seems discontinued and is no longer available on different marketplace, although I am looking for any used equipment for sell. Do anybody have other advice as good Ring flash that are more available to purchase (new or used) and is a good fit with the KIII?

Thanks,

Jean-François
I use an older manual ring flash - a sunpak DX-8r rebranded dine industries.

Here’s an old thread: Your favourite ring flash - PentaxForums.com
01-24-2021, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dubucjif Quote
I was trying to purchase the Pentax AF160FC Macro Ring Flash which has excellent reviews.
One caution regarding the AF160FC is that while it supports P-TTL, there is an issue using that feature with non-AF lenses even those having mount contacts (e.g. Pentax-A and similar).* Simply put, the flash tends to fire at full power regardless of subject for both macro and close-focus subjects. Manual might be an option, but is limited to 1/1, 1/4, and 1/16 intensity.

In many ways, manual technique may be more workable than TTL or auto flash, assuming the flash has a wide enough range of settings.

Steve

* To be more accurate, the issue applies to P-TTL in general with all KA mount lenses due to inability to modulate the pre-flash intensity based on an estimate of subject distance.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-25-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: extra word
01-24-2021, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t have any relationship with the seller:

Sunpak Auto DX 8R Thyristor Minolta +All Other SLR Hot Shoe Mounts, Tested Works | eBay

This is similar to the one I have. Don’t let the fact it isn’t fitted with the Pentax foot bother you. It should work in both auto and manual flash mode. It won’t set flash sync speed, it won’t light up ready light in viewfinder etc. for macro is rely on manual mode. Gives 1/1, 1/2,1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 power. It’s similar to what I used here:

It ain’t easy being cheesy by -vanya_42nd-

01-24-2021, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don’t have any relationship with the seller:
I don't have a relationship with the seller either and I would be tempted by that deal myself except for having overspent my photo budget these last few weeks on lighting-related stuff.

Steve
01-25-2021, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have a relationship with the seller either and I would be tempted by that deal myself except for having overspent my photo budget these last few weeks on lighting-related stuff.

Steve
Honestly I almost bought it myself. I don’t have a case and it seems like a good deal, but I figured it was better to share it as I don’t Need two ring flashes!
01-25-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Sigma P-TTL EM-140 DG ring flash, if you can find it second hand. Mine works well.
Agree with the above, had mine for a year or 2 now
01-25-2021, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Honestly I almost bought it myself. I don’t have a case and it seems like a good deal, but I figured it was better to share it as I don’t Need two ring flashes!
I noticed, though, that it is missing one or more adapter rings.

Steve
01-25-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed, though, that it is missing one or more adapter rings.

Steve
Mine only came with one. As long as you have one you can use standard step rings to adapt it but it would be nice to have more rings. There are other examples for sale but that one looks like the best deal to me.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-26-2021 at 12:55 PM.
01-25-2021, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
I waaay overshot my budget in the past week. I got the evil eye from my wife today when UPS, USPS and FedX all showed up.
01-25-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I waaay overshot my budget in the past week. I got the evil eye from my wife today when UPS, USPS and FedX all showed up.
Did all three need a dolly?

Steve
01-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Did all three need a dolly?

Steve
No, the dolly came last week.