Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #1

Metz 58 with Pentax 540 wireless

Hello, first of all i am very happy that i found such a type forum

I have a question: i have two flashes Metz 58 and Pentax 540, when i use my Metz on k10d, and 540 like a wireless they work very vell, but i would like to use both flashes wireless, but without using integrated flash.

I read it before, that u guys using Radio Triggers, but they are not very good (these from china). I found in shop one IR model Falconeyes TR-1. So i am interested will it work with my flashes? Maybe someone have this one.

11-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andas Quote
Hello, first of all i am very happy that i found such a type forum

I have a question: i have two flashes Metz 58 and Pentax 540, when i use my Metz on k10d, and 540 like a wireless they work very vell, but i would like to use both flashes wireless, but without using integrated flash.

I read it before, that u guys using Radio Triggers, but they are not very good (these from china). I found in shop one IR model Falconeyes TR-1. So i am interested will it work with my flashes? Maybe someone have this one.
The problem with radio triggers will be, that you loose P-TTL. You need one master flash attached to the camera (inbuilt or separate) for P-TTL. Nevertheless you can use the flashes wireless. One flash must be fired by a radio trigger and the other one set to dumb slave mode. I don't know your particular IR trigger, but I have a Chinese radio trigger and it works, as it should.

Ben
11-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure with the 540 you can use the integrated flash as "control" only, and it will just trigger the slave flash without providing lighting for the picture (and still work in P-TTL). I don't know if that will work for the Metz, though.
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
I am pretty sure with the 540 you can use the integrated flash as "control" only, and it will just trigger the slave flash without providing lighting for the picture (and still work in P-TTL). I don't know if that will work for the Metz, though.
Yes, that will work with any P-TTL-wireless slave flash since it's all on the camera side.

With the K10D, you need to make sure you've updated your firmware in order for this option to be available.

11-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matt, I did read most of article, Thanks for taking the time to do this, My goal is to shoot with the Skyports or Radio popper 1 or the Jr(if they ever make to market) or the pocket wizards. 1 sending unit and two receivers. Under most circumstances the vivitar 285HV would work but some of the flashes that Matt mentioned in report could have better range of uses.. and maybe easier if I were going to use the IR and pttl set up. SIG 530 super and the MetZ 58 the 560.... I already own the the 360

Anyone have some of this equipment and what do you use to shoot off camera. Not really interested in using the v-2

As alway's I appreciate your input.

John