Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

Metz flash update - device not seen by the computer

Hallo,

I would like to update the firmware of my Metz flashes M400 and 64 AF-1.

I have downloaded and installed the updater sw from Metz.

Unfortunately the process stops already by that the computer does not see the flashes as a USB device.
I have tried several cables already, on different ports, but nothing helps. And as long as the computer does not see the USB device, the updater also says "no compatible device found", of course.

What is the trick?

Many thanks,
Nuftur

02-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Two possible issues:

1. Use a different USB cable, one that you know works for data transfer. Some USB cables can only be used for recharging devices.

2. Check the manual or the flash's setup screens. There many be some arcane menu setting or button press combination needed to enable the flash to look like a "Mass Storage Device" or accept a firmware upload.

Good luck!
02-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuftur Quote
Hallo,

I would like to update the firmware of my Metz flashes M400 and 64 AF-1.

I have downloaded and installed the updater sw from Metz.

Unfortunately the process stops already by that the computer does not see the flashes as a USB device.
I have tried several cables already, on different ports, but nothing helps. And as long as the computer does not see the USB device, the updater also says "no compatible device found", of course.

What is the trick?

Many thanks,
Nuftur
Normally it does not recognize a device if the driver for that device is not installed. Are you doing this on a MAC or windows machine? For windows make sure the PC is connected to the internet, connect the flash. It should be an unknown device. Install the Metz software. According to their docs it should install the corresponding driver. Seen this with windows and USB devices that order of installation a lot of times is critical for proper device configuration.
Here is the link to the doc.

https://www.metz-mecatech.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin...1fdb1ca71a39cc
02-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
My computer runs with W10 and has all updates.

I have changed various cables and connectors.

I have also uninstalled the Metz SW and re-installed it, and restarted the computer.
Nothing works.

BR Nuftur

02-11-2021, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Got it fixed!
The trick is, to apply the same procedure, using the same cables, just on another computer, running on the same O/S.
I'm sorry that I cannot explain it,

BR Nuftur
02-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuftur Quote
Got it fixed!
The trick is, to apply the same procedure, using the same cables, just on another computer, running on the same O/S.
I'm sorry that I cannot explain it,

BR Nuftur
Great glad u figured it out
03-09-2021, 03:48 AM   #7

Not sure if this is at all helpful as information, but I just recently ran into a similar issue with a Godox firmware update on a TT685 speedlight. The Godox TT685 is old enough that it uses the "G1" updater, which requires a 3rd-party proprietary USB driver. Which was written for Windows 7, it's so old. Which means it's not properly signed for more recent versions of Windows 10, and Windows 10 won't load the driver (sees it as a security risk), so the USB connection cannot be made.

To get my TT685 to connect with the G1 updater, I have to boot my Windows 10 box with driver signing enforcement disabled. This involves:
  1. Hold down Shift while selecting [Start menu]→Power→Restart. Continue holding down the shift key through the spinning circle of white dots until you are in the blue advanced boot options window.
  2. Select Troubleshoot.
  3. Select Advanced options.
  4. Select Start-up Settings. You'll see a list of options and a Restart button.
  5. Select Restart. More spinning circle before you can select how you want to modify the bootup from the list of options.
  6. Type 7; to select "7) Disable driver signature enforcement".
You box will now boot up with driver signing disabled and Secure Boot turned off, and (hopefully) the USB driver should work. Once you restart the box, both driver signing and Secure Boot are re-enabled.