Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Pentax 67 - Studio Strobe Help

Hi,

I am looking for some help / ideas for this problem I had on my last shoot.
I was shooting in studio with my Pentax 67 and 2 lights - Elinchrom monolights, connected to my camera with a pc sync cord (not to the lens, I don't have leaf shutter).
At the same time I was using my Contax G2, connected to the lights with a Skyport.

Every time I used the Contax, both lights went off as they were suppose to.
Every shot I took with the Pentax, only one flash went off.

I asked the guy who runs the studio and he says people use the sync cord every day and have no problem with it so I don't think it's that.

Could it be my Pentax, and if so why would it work to fire off one flash and not both?

Any advice much appreciated!

02-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by md87 Quote
Could it be my Pentax, and if so why would it work to fire off one flash and not both?
Does it work without the Skyport in your setup (i.e. TX turned off)?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-17-2021 at 12:24 PM.
02-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does it work without the Skyport in your setup?

Steve
Hi Steve,
I'm not sure what you mean.
I just use the Skyport for my other camera (contax).. not the Pentax.
Or do you mean would it work if the Skyport was not in use at all?

---------- Post added 02-17-21 at 12:25 PM ----------

The Pentax is only connected via pc sync cord...
02-17-2021, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure what you mean.
I just use the Skyport for my other camera (contax).. not the Pentax.
Or do you mean would it work if the Skyport was not in use at all?

---------- Post added 02-17-21 at 12:25 PM ----------

The Pentax is only connected via pc sync cord...
Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant if the transmitter attached to the Contax is turned off with Skyport not in use. If your wired sync still fails to fire both flash, the fault is with the wiring.

Steve

02-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes it still didn't fire both even with Skyport off...

However, would it be normal for wired sync to not fire both lights, with the Skyport on?
02-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes it still didn't fire both even with Skyport off...
Now you know it is the wiring. Let's hope the fault is something simple.

However, would it be normal for wired sync to not fire both lights, with the Skyport on?
It would not be expected, but also not beyond the realm of possibility.

Steve
02-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
The studio owner said this wire (sync cable) is used all the time with the same camera (Pentax 67) and that it works fine.
But if it were my Pentax that were the problem, im not sure why it would fire off one flash and not trigger the other. I would assume if it was the camera, that neither lights would fire.
That is my confusion on this.

02-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The studio owner said this wire (sync cable) is used all the time with the same camera (Pentax 67) and that it works fine.
But if it were my Pentax that were the problem, im not sure why it would fire off one flash and not trigger the other. I would assume if it was the camera, that neither lights would fire.
I had a similar issue when using my P67 during a couple studio lighting courses I took years ago. Since the 67 has no hot-shoe for the trigger, I/we had to connect the strobes via the sync cable (1/30 shutter flash speed on the 67) on the power pack. Initially one strobe fired but not the others, I believe it was an issue as to how the lights were connected to the power pack or a setting on the power pack???

It was over ten years ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Eventually we got it figured out and had no more issues. I was the only one in the course shooting medium format and film and using the sync cable.

Phil.
02-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can test the sync wiring with a known good camera (does not have to be a Pentax 67) or by shorting the PC male fitting's center pin against the collar. If only one flash fires regardless of how trigger is applied and both flashes are definitely connected, there is something subtle going on. Culprits would include corroded or poor-fitting PC connectors and/or junction blocks. A bad wire or solder joint might also be at fault. The good people at Elinchrome may be of some assistance in figuring out what is going on. If you have a digital multimeter, the voltage at the pin should be 6V, even with both flash on the circuit.

On the camera end, inconsistent flash firing may be caused by worn or corroded sync contacts, assuming yours is the Pentax 67 and not the 67II.* The contacts are replaceable should be servicable, but is something best done by a repair tech.

Steve

* I making some assumptions here regarding the flash sync on the 67II. The shutter is fully electronic and that usually infers electronic sync.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-18-2021 at 07:22 PM.
02-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd try to set up the strobe that is not firing as an optical slave. Should work fine in a studio setting.
02-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I am looking for some help / ideas for this problem I had on my last shoot.
I was shooting in studio with my Pentax 67 and 2 lights - Elinchrom monolights, connected to my camera with a pc sync cord (not to the lens, I don't have leaf shutter).
At the same time I was using my Contax G2, connected to the lights with a Skyport.

Every time I used the Contax, both lights went off as they were suppose to.
Every shot I took with the Pentax, only one flash went off.

I asked the guy who runs the studio and he says people use the sync cord every day and have no problem with it so I don't think it's that.

Any advice much appreciated!
I've had problems with Pentax in studios that use other brands as well because Pentax polarity is backwards.
You could try, presuming the studio lights are set up to allow it, reversing the PC cord plug. The studio I shot at was using a power pack that had a regular 110 style outlet to plug the camera in with. It was a simple, but necessary matter for me to unplug the cord and rotate it 180º and plug it back in.