Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Need advice on second hand flash.

I found a second hand Pentax AF240FT on a local store and it seemed to be in pretty good shape cosmetically..

However I have never used an external flash before.. How can i check if the features of the flash are in working condition?

Is there any particular feature/part of AF240FT that are known to break/malfunction earlier than the rest of it?

11-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I do not know about this particular flash, but 240 should be safe to put on your DSLR. I would take multimeter to be sure though. This flash will not work in P-TTL mode so you will have to use manual or auto mode (if the flash supports thyristor auto mode). In few cases with manual flashes, some exposure compensations tweaking is required.

I have two old thyristor flashes that I use with my K10D and they work just fine. But I have checked the voltage before and it is below 10V.
11-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash is safe to use, but it won't be useable except in what ever manual modes it supports, as it is not P-TTL capable.

I am not familiar with this flash, to know if it has partial power settings, but it only supports TTL and therefore would only really be useable on an *istD or DS, both of which support TTL. Even there it can't operate in slave mode, hogh speed sync or any of the advanced features of other flashes.