Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF500FTZ hot shoe issue

I was wondering if anyone knows what the hot shoe wiring of the AF500FTZ should look like? I purchased one off eBay to go with my 67ii and it works with one exception. When I have it mounted on the hot shoe grip with a cable from the grip to the camera it doesn't automatically change the shutter speed to 1/30 sec and there is no feedback in the TTL mode via the blinking lightning bolt when the exposure is correct. However, if I attach it to the camera through the accessory port those functions work. I know it is not the grip or cord wiring because I have another one that works correctly through the hot shoe and the grip. So, I opened it up to look at the internal wiring of the hot shoe and discovered that there are only two wires attached to the hot shoe contacts and two contacts that have the remnants of wiring soldered to them. See photo 1. I thought, well that's the problem but the wires I think should go on those contacts are taped to the inside of the housing as if they were deliberately left off the hot shoe. See photo 2. However, looking at the wiring of the accessory port there is a full compliment of 4 wires connected. So, I don't know what ig going on. If anyone else has looked inside one of these things I would be glad to hear from you.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro Max  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro Max  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro Max  Photo 
04-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #2

I see a bit of red and orange insulation on the cut ends left on the shoe pins. That leaves yellow for the last pin. I would connect them first with clip jumpers before resoldering. There may be a good reason why they were disconnected in the first place,

Or just get your money back..
04-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would bet the flash was modified to work in manual/auto flash mode only, for a non Pentax camera
04-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and advice, it is a curious problem. Is there a chance that the flash could damage the 67ii electronics if the wires were disconnected for whatever reason?

04-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

The user manual states that the AF500FTZ is compatible with the 67II:

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/67II.pdf

Of course there may be something wrong with the flash.
04-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgwilkie Quote
Thanks for the replies and advice, it is a curious problem. Is there a chance that the flash could damage the 67ii electronics if the wires were disconnected for whatever reason?
No it works just fine on electronic cameras. I have used it on the PZ1 and *istD