Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to make a hot shoe flash from the pop-up flash of a dead APS-C?

I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum knows that Pentax created a product hole when it removed the pop-up flash from its more recent bodies. The pop-up is capable of P-TTL wireless master and controller. There is no truly compact flash with these capabilities.

Is anyone aware of somebody taking the popup flash and circuitry from the pentaprism, mating it with a battery power and a Pentax P-TTL hot shoe foot? And I am guessing the unit would need to be hardwired for P-TTL wireless master as I don't think these flashless bodies have controls in the menu for master vs controller.

04-19-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Is anyone aware of somebody taking the popup flash and circuitry from the pentaprism, mating it with a battery power and a Pentax P-TTL hot shoe foot?
I believe the pop-up flash uses more circuitry than just what is located in the pentaprism area. There is certainly a separate board on the grip side with the bulk capacitor for the flash discharge. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the control circuitry that you are looking for is imbedded on the main control board, making it impractical to move directly to an off camera flash.
04-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I believe the pop-up flash uses more circuitry than just what is located in the pentaprism area. There is certainly a separate board on the grip side with the bulk capacitor for the flash discharge. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the control circuitry that you are looking for is imbedded on the main control board, making it impractical to move directly to an off camera flash.
don't ask, don't know. Thanks for the feedback!

Travelling with two bulky flashes is often not possible when flying to a destination where off-camera flash automation is desired. Pentax hasn't left us any good options.
04-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know this answer since I have a KP with a pop up flash that I don't really use, but you camera doesn't put that ability into a small flash like the Pentax AF-200FG? You could at least use a small flash like the AF-200FG to trigger an off camera flash. And I think the AF-201FG may be even smaller. Or here's something I found - but it is probably junk

04-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not a big fan of P-TTL anyway. Get better results using TTL or manual.
04-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flash and its capacitor together are not that small. The circuitry would be difficult to separate from the other circuitry and that would probably not talk to whatever camera you would try to put it on. Oh well.
04-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The ks2 pop up doesn't have wireless. I am wondering where that is located on other models.

04-20-2021, 04:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If your interest is more on the "controller" side rather than "master", you can get radio triggers that will do the job.
04-20-2021, 06:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My issue is "travel light", especially when flying. You have all I am sure heard the mantra "one carry-on and one personal item" - - I sure won't put electronics in the belly of a plane. And on the smaller regional jets, that carry-on roller bag often has to go into the belly. So one personal carry-on that must fit under the seat... So I have to have one bag that holds my camera gear, small laptop, chargers - and lithium batteries by law have to not be in the plane's belly, plus if you fly often enough you know to have your medications, your toothbrush and some clean undies in that bag.

Flashes with wireless automation tend to be bulky - mostly because the designers also give them greater output. Two of them is generally not going to happen. Ditto for RF flash triggers that support Pentax's flash automation (bulkier and need a minimum of two). - plus batteries. I'd rather use the space for another lens.

I've torn apart disposable film cameras with flash modules. The components are not that large. Yes, a slightly larger capacitor is needed for the double-flash. The flash only needs to be powerful enough to read the scene for P-TTL and get the IR embedded data to a P-TTL slave. But it appears nobody is filling this niche with the demise of the pop-up flash on Pentax's most advanced bodies.

It appears the only solution to my need is to roll the clock back 40 years and use a hot shoe extension cord that carries Pentax's P-TTL contacts. A cord is highly unlikely to be damaged if carried in the belly of a plane, although from experience anything with wires in your luggage tends to be flagged by security for eyeball inspection.
04-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hello.

What about the Metz 26 af-1 or 26 af-2 ? It's a really small and compact flash from a good flash company. It's not so cheap but can be a solution. It supports Pentax P-TTL and I think it has a manual mode too. Maybe you can get the older af-1 version second hand for a good price.

Regards.
04-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello.

What about the Metz 26 af-1 or 26 af-2 ? It's a really small and compact flash from a good flash company. It's not so cheap but can be a solution. It supports Pentax P-TTL and I think it has a manual mode too. Maybe you can get the older af-1 version second hand for a good price.

Regards.
The Metz 26 looks like a nice flash. Too bad it has no support for P-TTL wireless master or controller modes. Rather critical if you want to control an off-camera P-TTL flash.