Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bolt VM-160 LED Macro Ring Light?

Greetings, friends...

Anyone have any comments on this ring light? Got one a week or so ago and I'm curious about others' experience with it.

So far, I can say that it seems a little fiddly -- the power/data cable doesn't unplug, making the mounting process a bit of a challenge, and of course the adapter ring I needed (52mm) was packed, with others, in a non-obvious part of the box. Little adapter ring packets had no outside ID markings so I had to open most of them to find the one I needed...back into the box with mm size noted by Sharpie on the little baggie.

Works OK, good controls, can do continuous LED or flash. I confess I'm not a flash expert so that option will probably require some testing/playing. Not at all sure what use the yellow and blue diffusers will be (ideas welcome). Adds some surprising weight to the rig.

I think I need to set up the tripod and do some Rube Goldberg "studio" shots.

Any knowledge to share? Thanks in advance!

04-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to find a way to get mine to properly sync with my K-1 but used as a continuous light, it works fine, though it's no comparison for a real Xenon ring light in terms of brightness, nor short flash duration. It's pretty useful for macro shots and given its price, it's pretty reasonable for what it is.

It is probably easier to use a filter on the lens if you want the colored effects offered by the colored diffusers which cut the light output of the flash that much more. I don't really see a need for those.

I use rechargeable NiMH batteries which saves on battery discards.
04-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

I haven’t used this particular one, but I’ve been on my own sort of macro ring flash quest over the past month or so. As the above user mentioned, xenon is far brighter so that’s where I’ve been, but effectively just using a light panel mounted to the lens on permanently would certainly be fine for many macro shots. Have you had a preference for using it as a flash vs ring light? The non disconnecting ring element might be a deal breaker for my money; having that on my existing flash is so convenient for packing.
04-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I have yet to find a way to get mine to properly sync with my K-1 but used as a continuous light, it works fine, though it's no comparison for a real Xenon ring light in terms of brightness, nor short flash duration. It's pretty useful for macro shots and given its price, it's pretty reasonable for what it is.

It is probably easier to use a filter on the lens if you want the colored effects offered by the colored diffusers which cut the light output of the flash that much more. I don't really see a need for those.

I use rechargeable NiMH batteries which saves on battery discards.
Thanks. I'll probably use it for macro, and the price was definitely a consideration. Excellent suggestion on the lens filters, although I haven't done that since film days, 50 magenta to compensate for those old green fluorescent bulbs. No need nowadays with WB correction in-camera. At some point I'll put rechargeables in it, just playing now with regular old alkalines. No extra rechargeables in the stash at the moment.

---------- Post added 04-20-21 at 12:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
I haven’t used this particular one, but I’ve been on my own sort of macro ring flash quest over the past month or so. As the above user mentioned, xenon is far brighter so that’s where I’ve been, but effectively just using a light panel mounted to the lens on permanently would certainly be fine for many macro shots. Have you had a preference for using it as a flash vs ring light? The non disconnecting ring element might be a deal breaker for my money; having that on my existing flash is so convenient for packing.
My preference is for using it as a continuous source, not a flash, but I'm sure I'll play with the flash option, too.

The ring element is easy enough to mount on the lens adapter, it just clips onto the adapter. But the fact that the power unit and ring unit can't be disconnected from each other is a bit annoying, and of course complicates packing the entire thing when it isn't in use.

Thanks!

04-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One application where you do need to filter the flash (even conventional ones) is shooting in a room or environment where there's a different illumination (your example of florescent is a good one). The mixed lighting won't work very well, even with AWB (weird colored shadows and areas where one color source or the other predominates), so the solution is to filter the flash to match the room and then AWB can do its thing. It's a bit difficult with a ring light, but it can be done. I've used green gel filtering on my flash for shooting in a florescent lighted area, and then there is no mixed lighting to deal with, and color balances came out good.

Just a flash tip that might help.
04-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, useful info for sure. I don't shoot much with flash but having this rig I will probably experiment with it. Only thing to waste, besides time, is batteries, and those are easy enough to get.

There have been a couple of days, recently, with overcast sky, I wanted to play with the ring light on some garden subjects, but it's been way too windy <sigh>. I'm spoiled, I spent years doing in-house product (flowers) shoots under controlled lighting conditions. But since I retired I no longer have that "studio" setup. Probably could rig up something here in the house and play with it that way. If the cats don't mind, or (more likely) want to help...
04-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

I have one and it comes in handy for occasional macro photos. Principle complaint is poor battery life and no way to use an external power source. By the time I get get a shot setup in continuous mode, the batteries are dead. Definitely need to use rechargeables. I may look for something better.

04-21-2021, 05:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadBill Quote
I have one and it comes in handy for occasional macro photos. Principle complaint is poor battery life and no way to use an external power source. By the time I get get a shot setup in continuous mode, the batteries are dead. Definitely need to use rechargeables. I may look for something better.
Thanks, Bill, I'll keep that in mind. Silly question, can't you do most of the setup with the unit off, then turn it on for final tweaking? Just a thought...
04-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Depends on how much difficulty I have getting the look I want. Because I don't use it often, I have the light on a lot and I can be slow.
04-26-2021, 04:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadBill Quote
Depends on how much difficulty I have getting the look I want. Because I don't use it often, I have the light on a lot and I can be slow.
Understood. Some subjects do seem to want a lot of setup fiddling, been there and done that myself!