Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 11:57 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Anyone recommend me a reliable / controllable ring flash?

Need a ring flash, ideally one that has some control over light / shadow, like the Sigma 140

Been offered a 140 but from reading around it doesn't always play nice with modern cameras, and if it needs a firmware update has to go back to Sigma. Also seen a Metz 15, more money than Sigma, but I like Metz stuff

Its for macro up to 2m away

04-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
Need a ring flash, ideally one that has some control over light / shadow, like the Sigma 140

Been offered a 140 but from reading around it doesn't always play nice with modern cameras, and if it needs a firmware update has to go back to Sigma. Also seen a Metz 15, more money than Sigma, but I like Metz stuff

Its for macro up to 2m away
I own the Sigma 140, and find that it works very well. I'm not sure what you have heard, but my 1st hand experience with it has been excellent. I have never thought mine needed a firmware update, as it does everything I ask of it. " Not playing nice " could be because of user error or inexperience.
Below are the reviews on the forums (mine included), which I stand by 100%. It is a great piece of kit IMO.

Sigma EM-140 DG Ring flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

EDIT - I have never used it at 2m, as I use it exclusively for close-up flash.

Last edited by pjv; 04-21-2021 at 12:48 AM.
04-21-2021, 02:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I've not had any issues with the EM-140 DG either, though I've far from exhausted its possibilities.
04-21-2021, 02:25 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks folks

It appears the Sigma 140 doesn't work well with K1 as the Pentax variant was designed for APSC, not FF. Most other issues seem to be with Canon/Nikon

How heavy is the flash tube? One potential use I have for it is on a 55-300, and I dont think the lens is robust enough

04-21-2021, 02:48 AM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the weight is in the hotshoe part of the unit. But, extra weight on the filter thread end of any lens will increase the torque required to autofocus, either screw-drive or internal motor. Internal focus lenses are not affected, so manual focus is recommended for screw-drive, or for lenses that change length with focus..
04-21-2021, 02:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

thanks folks

It appears the Sigma 140 doesn't work well with K1 as the Pentax variant was designed for APSC, not FF. Most other issues seem to be with Canon/Nikon

How heavy is the flash tube? One potential use I have for it is on a 55-300, and I dont think the lens is robust enough
It's pretty light. I use it on the Tamron 90 macro, for which the inner plastic tube extends about 6 cm from the lens body, and have not been concerned with the weight.

I use the 140 on my K1 without any problems, but have only tried it for macro. As you can see, the illumination is pretty even.

04-21-2021, 03:10 AM   #7
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ethically speaking, I don't usually link my own threads, but I started the one linked below when I got my Siggy 140. It was started to get advice, and also for the members to share their flash images. Most of my images are the 140........

" FLASHERS " wanted here - PentaxForums.com
04-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone else asked a question I have had in the back of my mind. Looking forward to others recommendations also.

04-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Huh? I have never heard of a flash that was format-dependent. Are you saying that it has inadequate angle of view or is the reported problem something else? FWIW...the EM-140 DG dates back to film photography days and supports off-the-film TTL for 35mm cameras.

Edit: There are known issues with close-up photography and P-TTL when using non-AF KA lenses. The full explanation requires several hundred words, but the short description is that severe overexposure is not uncommon. Manual technique is strongly suggested when doing close-up P-TTL work with other than auto-focus lenses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-21-2021 at 11:28 AM.
04-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mean honestly most of the time I shoot manual macro flash anyway, so even my old Pentax 140 is fine for me. But I also have a Sigma 140. Great flash, and has a lot of modern features. I know the flashpoint/Godox full manual also gets a lot of decent press, especially for the price.