Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
Before buying the transmitter, i understood that it would work in TTL mode off-camera...
I was unaware that it worked off camera at all other than remote trigger/shutter using 3.5mm sync cord. Do you mean wireless TTL control of the TT350O?

Steve

05-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I recently purchased from Adorama the Flashpoint R2 Mark II TTL Transmitter for Pentax that was on sale to use on my K-3II in connection with the Flashpoint Mini for Olympus/Panasonic, It triggers the flash off-camera in manual mode fine, but in TTL mode the flash seems to fire only at full power as everything is overexposed even if exposure compensation is used. Before buying the transmitter, i understood that it would work in TTL mode off-camera; if it does, I haven't figured out how to do that yet, so hopefully someone will provide details on how to accomplish this.
Thanks. I emailed Flashpoint the following question yesterday.

QuoteQuote:
I also recently purchased the Flashpoint X2T-P flash trigger for Pentax. It works fine with my Flashpoint Zoom mini for Pentax.

I also have a micro 4/3 body, a Lumix GX85, and I see that you have the Flashpoint XPro-O trigger on sale for $19.95 .

My question is whether this trigger, when mounted onto my Lumix GX85 would be compatible with my Flashpoint Zoom Mini for Pentax, when setup as radio slave off camera. Would the slave flash trigger ? And would it do TTL ?
Their reply today :

QuoteQuote:
Yes you can trigger your off-camera (only) Flashpoint Zoom-Mini for Pentax from the Flashpoint R2 Pro transmitter for Panasonic & Olympus (SKU: FPRRR2PROO in both TTL and Manual exposure modes.
Admittedly, this is the opposite of what you are doing, and a different trigger model. But if it works one way, it would seem to me that it should work the other way.
Who is right ? Did you update the firmware on your trigger and flash to the latest versions from the Godox site ? The Flashpoint site has outdated versions, and nothing for Pentax yet listed.

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 09:11 PM ----------

I recently purchased from Adorama the Flashpoint R2 Mark II TTL Transmitter for Pentax that was on sale to use on my K-3II in connection with the Flashpoint Mini for Olympus/Panasonic, It triggers the flash off-camera in manual mode fine, but in TTL mode the flash seems to fire only at full power as everything is overexposed even if exposure compensation is used. Before buying the transmitter, i understood that it would work in TTL mode off-camera; if it does, I haven't figured out how to do that yet, so hopefully someone will provide details on how to accomplish this.
I would suggest you email Flashpoint support at brands@adorama.com? .

Are you setting the flash exposure compensation on the trigger or on the flash ? I believe you can set it on either one, but it depends on the mode you are using.

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 09:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
The Pentax compatible Godox units are the newest TTL flavor for Godox. Most other Godox units that came before needed a firmware update to work with them. My M43 Godox flashes TT350 and V86011 fire as slaves when the TT350P or the XproP trigger is master.
So, are you getting TTL on your TT350O setup as radio slave to the XProP trigger ?

Last edited by madbrain; 05-24-2021 at 09:08 PM.
05-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was unaware that it worked off camera at all other than remote trigger/shutter using 3.5mm sync cord. Do you mean wireless TTL control of the TT350O?

Steve
Sorry for the confusion, Steve. Yes, I'm referring to wireless TTL control of the TT350O/Flashpoint R2 Mini(O) off-camera, with the Flashpoint R2 Mark II Transmitter on the Pentax camera. It fires the flash, but seemingly always at full power.

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 08:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Thanks. I emailed Flashpoint the following question yesterday.

Their reply today :

Admittedly, this is the opposite of what you are doing, and a different trigger model. But if it works one way, it would seem to me that it should work the other way.
Who is right ? Did you update the firmware on your trigger and flash to the latest versions from the Godox site ? The Flashpoint site has outdated versions, and nothing for Pentax yet listed.

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 09:11 PM ----------

I would suggest you email Flashpoint support at brands@adorama.com? .

Are you setting the flash exposure compensation on the trigger or on the flash ? I believe you can set it on either one, but it depends on the mode you are using.

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 09:12 PM ----------

So, are you getting TTL on your TT350O setup as radio slave to the XProP trigger ?
Madbrain, I've tried exposure compensation both ways -- camera and trigger -- to no avail as it's completely overexposed.

I'll have to try updating the firmware on the trigger. If that fails, I'll contact Adorama for some advise.

Thanks for you input.
05-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Sorry for the confusion, Steve. Yes, I'm referring to wireless TTL control of the TT350O/Flashpoint R2 Mini(O) off-camera, with the Flashpoint R2 Mark II Transmitter on the Pentax camera. It fires the flash, but seemingly always at full power.[COLOR="Silver"]
That's unfortunate. You didn't say if you update the firmware on your trigger and Flash. I would suggest you do, if you haven't yet.
See GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Download . The Godox firmware works on Flashpoint branded products. I updated my Flashpoint TT350P and Flashpoint X2T-P with firmware from Godox. You may want to try the same with your TT350O . Not clear if the R2 Mark II transmitter for Pentax has a firmware update, as it appears not to have a Godox branded equivalent. The XProP is similar but not the same (very different button layout), so I wouldn't attempt to load that firmware.

QuoteQuote:
Madbrain, I've tried exposure compensation both ways -- camera and trigger -- to no avail as it's completely overexposed.

I'll have to try updating the firmware on the trigger. If that fails, I'll contact Adorama for some advise.

Thanks for you input.
Sounds like TTL doesn't work with your combo of R2 Mark II Pentax / TT35O. Please update and tell us what Adorama says.

05-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's unfortunate. You didn't say if you update the firmware on your trigger and Flash. I would suggest you do, if you haven't yet.
See GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Download . The Godox firmware works on Flashpoint branded products. I updated my Flashpoint TT350P and Flashpoint X2T-P with firmware from Godox. You may want to try the same with your TT350O . Not clear if the R2 Mark II transmitter for Pentax has a firmware update, as it appears not to have a Godox branded equivalent. The XProP is similar but not the same (very different button layout), so I wouldn't attempt to load that firmware.

Sounds like TTL doesn't work with your combo of R2 Mark II Pentax / TT35O. Please update and tell us what Adorama says.
Well, I tried updating the firmware and ended up with a Flashpoint Mini(O) that doesn't work now. I'm getting an "E9" error code, meaning "errors occurred during the upgrading process, please using the correct firmware upgrade method" I've sent a e-mail to Adorama support for help.
05-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, I tried updating the firmware and ended up with a Flashpoint Mini(O) that doesn't work now. I'm getting an "E9" error code, meaning "errors occurred during the upgrading process, please using the correct firmware upgrade method" I've sent a e-mail to Adorama support for help.
Really sorry to hear that. Which program did you use for the upgrade ? Flashpoint or Godox ? And which letter ?
The doc for the TT350O firmware update on the Godox web site says to use their "G2" program.
05-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really sorry to hear that. Which program did you use for the upgrade ? Flashpoint or Godox ? And which letter ?
The doc for the TT350O firmware update on the Godox web site says to use their "G2" program.
I used the F2 installer program from the Adorama website, together with their Mini(O) firmware file. I guess the Adorama F2 program is the same as Godox G2. Hopefully, when I hear back from Adorama we'll be able to correct the issue.

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 10:32 PM ----------

Update: All is well.

I went back to the Adorama website and noticed this time that there is different firmware for the two Flashpoint Minis -- Zoom Mini Flash and Zoom Li-on Mini Flash. I've got the Li-on version and can confirm that it doesn't work with firmware for the other version that uses AA batteries.

05-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not clear if the R2 Mark II transmitter for Pentax has a firmware update
The Godox equivalent is the X2T-P, for which v1.1 (20 July 2020) is the most recent update.

Steve
05-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I used the F2 installer program from the Adorama website, together with their Mini(O) firmware file. I guess the Adorama F2 program is the same as Godox G2. Hopefully, when I hear back from Adorama we'll be able to correct the issue.

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 10:32 PM ----------

Update: All is well.

I went back to the Adorama website and noticed this time that there is different firmware for the two Flashpoint Minis -- Zoom Mini Flash and Zoom Li-on Mini Flash. I've got the Li-on version and can confirm that it doesn't work with firmware for the other version that uses AA batteries.
Makes sense. Were you able to revive your Zoom Mini Li-on ? I guess that would be a V350O, not TT350.

And if so, does it fire in TTL with your Pentax trigger, or still only full power ?

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 08:36 PM ----------

The Godox equivalent is the X2T-P, for which v1.1 (20 July 2020) is the most recent update.

Steve
Gotcha. I got it confused with the Flashpoint R2 Mark II Pro. That one doesn't seem to have a Godox twin.
05-26-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Makes sense. Were you able to revive your Zoom Mini Li-on ? I guess that would be a V350O, not TT350.

And if so, does it fire in TTL with your Pentax trigger, or still only full power ?

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 08:36 PM ----------

Gotcha. I got it confused with the Flashpoint R2 Mark II Pro. That one doesn't seem to have a Godox twin.
After loading the correct firmware into the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on Mini TTL (O), the flash is working again, But, it still fires at full power when I have the flash off camera in TTL mode and triggered by the Flashpoint R2 Mark II TTL Transmitter for Pentax. It works as it should in manual mode; I'm able to adjust the power settings on the flash from the transmitter. When I switch the transmitter to TTL mode, the flash changes to TTL mode, but fires at full power.

I guess I'll need to check with Adorama about this issue.
05-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Somewhere along the line I seem to remember reading that the TT350x models do not do cross-brand Godox-TTL. Where, I can't recall. There have been so many threads on the subject. (Found it...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/418258-godox...ml#post5182655)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-26-2021 at 01:10 PM.
05-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somewhere along the line I seem to remember reading that the TT350x models do not do cross-brand Godox-TTL. Where, I can't recall. There have been so many threads on the subject.

Steve
At this point I'm not sure this cross-branding TTL works at all when using a Flashpoint/Godox trigger for Pentax and Flashpoint/Godox flashes for Olympus. I just tested using the Flashpoint for Pentax trigger and a Flashpoint R2 Zoom TTL (O) -- in manual mode it works fine; in TTL I'm getting inconsistent results, sometimes severely underexposed and the next shot severely overexposed. I have the Godox equivalent TT685(O) as well and have the same problem with it. I guess this is why they make TTL triggers and flashes for specific cameras.
05-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At this point I'm not sure this cross-branding TTL works at all when using a Flashpoint/Godox trigger for Pentax and Flashpoint/Godox flashes for Olympus. I just tested using the Flashpoint for Pentax trigger and a Flashpoint R2 Zoom TTL (O) -- in manual mode it works fine; in TTL I'm getting inconsistent results, sometimes severely underexposed and the next shot severely overexposed. I have the Godox equivalent TT685(O) as well and have the same problem with it. I guess this is why they make TTL triggers and flashes for specific cameras.
I found the post. Many thanks to @inkista for their expertise...

Godox TT350P Size, Balance, and Portability - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Steve
05-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

After loading the correct firmware into the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on Mini TTL (O), the flash is working again, But, it still fires at full power when I have the flash off camera in TTL mode and triggered by the Flashpoint R2 Mark II TTL Transmitter for Pentax. It works as it should in manual mode; I'm able to adjust the power settings on the flash from the transmitter. When I switch the transmitter to TTL mode, the flash changes to TTL mode, but fires at full power.

Thanks. Glad your Flash is working again. But too bad about the TTL not working. I guess Flashpoint doesn't know about their own product limitations. I have an XProO trigger on the way, but if it doesn't do TTL with my TT350P, I will be returning it. I only bought it because Adorama told me the combo would work in TTL. Sigh.

---------- Post added 05-26-21 at 02:32 PM ----------

Strange. I thought the TT685O for sure would work with TTL cross-brand.

As far as TTL triggers and flashes for specific cameras, I thought the main reason was the hot shoes are different physically on each camera brand. There are different number of pins, at different locations, used for different purposes.

Of course, the TTL protocols are different for each brand too. But if not for the physically different hot shoe, they could have a single firmware that handled all the brands, with a setting in the menu to choose your camera brand.

I bet if you could swap the hot-shoe and reflash the firmware for your brand of camera, it would likely work.

It looks like they do sell some hot shoe replacements for some models, so maybe this is actually possible :
https://www.adorama.com/fplfxp0011.html?=adl-gbase-p

It doesn't make sense that the radio protocol would be different for each camera brand, though. Godox has some flashes that are off-camera only (no hotshoe) and those don't have different versions for each brand. For example, AD200, AD600 have no hot shoe and are supposed to work with radio triggers made for any camera brand.

Seems to me perhaps Godox still has some bugs in their TT350/TT685 series flashes WRT radio protocol. Or maybe the other series are buggy too, who knows. I can't afford to try them.
05-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #30

Sorry for the late reply. I keep forgetting you guys sometimes need your non-Pentax shooting resident Godox wonk.

The last I looked, the list of update able TT685 and V860 models was in flux. Do you know if there is a full list somewhere of models that may be controlled from the Pentax-flavored flash and controllers?...
Just FYI, still no word on a TT685-P, but the rumors are flying, based on this 2021 Godox catalog, that sometime this calendar year, the V860 II is about to be replaced by a V860 III. That catalog lists a Pentax version (however, they also don't list a Pentax version for the TT350, so... grain of salt).

AFAIK, it's going to use the V1 battery, has a "modeling light", on-camera TCM (i.e., not as a radio master) and a slide lock instead of the screw lock. I'm assuming it's probably going to gain some of the V1 improvements (SCAN function, better radio master UI, etc.) But detailed specs/reviews are obviously not available, yet.

The V850 II is also getting upgraded to a V850 III. I'm crossing my fingers that this time it's firmware updatable, and that the improvements eventually roll downhill to updated TT685 and TT600 models.

---------- Post added 05-26-21 at 04:54 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
Strange. I thought the TT685O for sure would work with TTL cross-brand.
Can't. The only TT685 that can be updated to work with P-TTL is the TT685-C (Canon version). No #$^@&ing idea why only that one flavor. All flavors of the V860 II, however, can be P-TTL capable with a firmware update.

QuoteQuote:
As far as TTL triggers and flashes for specific cameras, I thought the main reason was the hot shoes are different physically on each camera brand. There are different number of pins, at different locations, used for different purposes.
This is true. But, MFT, Canon, and Fuji actually use the same pin/contact placement location and patterns. So it's not just the physical pin/contact placement but also the electronic communication protocol differences that have separate versions for everything.

QuoteQuote:
Of course, the TTL protocols are different for each brand too. But if not for the physically different hot shoe, they could have a single firmware that handled all the brands, with a setting in the menu to choose your camera brand.
Yup, Jinbei and Cactus have both proven they can cover multiple brands of hotshoe with a single pin arrangement, so it's not like custom-fit feet/hotshoes are required for 3rd party gear. Just that Godox prefers to do it that way. Godox also does go some way in imitating labelling of OEM brands, so what is called MULTI on other flavors is called RPT on Nikon, etc. So, the display communication is also different (assuming a dot-matrix LCD; if not, then the LCD hardware is different, too).

QuoteQuote:
I bet if you could swap the hot-shoe and reflash the firmware for your brand of camera, it would likely work....
Uh, no. I have seen a lot of people make this assumption on a number of different boards, ignore my warnings, and try it only to find out they've wasted their time and money. It will not work. I'm assuming some of the brand-specific stuff (like the LCD display names) is hardwired in the chips/boards, not just firmware.

Loading the wrong firmware image to the device results in the E9 error the OP saw earlier.

Last edited by inkista; 06-04-2021 at 02:50 PM.