Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Flashpoint R2 Mark2 X2T versus Pro and Pro Mark2

A excellent deal on this was posted.

Flashpoint R2 Mark II Trigger (X2T-P) [Adorama] - $29.99 + Ship - PentaxForums.com

What are the advantages of the other controllers versus this one please?

Thanks.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 05-09-2021 at 06:14 AM.
05-09-2021, 05:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not that well versed in triggers, but... the advantage of this unit is you can mount a flash on to this one. An advantage of the Godox/Flashpoint system (when you have multiple camera systems like I do) you can use the flashes for one system as slaves for the other system. So my Micro 4/3 flashes can be used as slaves when I shoot with my Pentax's. And vise a versa.
05-09-2021, 05:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
A excellent deal on this was posted.

Flashpoint R2 Mark II Trigger (X2T-P) [Adorama] - $29.99 + Ship - PentaxForums.com

What are the advantages of the other controllers versus this one ☝️ lease?

Thanks.
The bigger display and dedicated group buttons make it easier to control multiple groups. The Pro Mark 2 may seem a little complex for just casual use, but simple things remain easy.
05-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
The bigger display and dedicated group buttons make it easier to control multiple groups. The Pro Mark 2 may seem a little complex for just casual use, but simple things remain easy.
You have actually used these?
Thanks.

05-09-2021, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

What are the advantages of the other controllers versus this one please?
The Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII is the best trigger, in my view.
It combines the functions of all the others (Bluetooth, channel scan, etc.), whereas the X2T and the XPro only give you a subset of the features respectively.

It has the best ergonomics because it saves you menu-diving and multiple button presses due to having more dedicated buttons. This results in some duplication of function availability, but the latter is not really a problem. It's buttons are backlit and the group buttons are arranged around the dial, so there is less finger/hand movement when you adjust power levels. Toggling groups is done efficiently by just double-tapping group buttons. The other triggers require a cumbersome use of the mode button and cycling through three options for groups A-C just to toggle a group on and off.

It's only potential downsides are that it is a bit bigger and unlike the X2T, it does not offer a hot-shoe connector. However, it trades the hot-shoe connection for a much larger display. Some users find the front-facing display of the X2T easy to read when the camera is mounted high on a tripod, for instance. In my view, the number of scenarios where the tilted displays of the XPro or the R2 Pro MarkII work better is much higher.

At $69 it is cheap enough that I would give it the nod any time of the day.
05-09-2021, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

You have actually used these?
For what it is worth, I have all three triggers.

I only bought the X2T because the R2 Pro Mark II was not available for Pentax yet at the time and because a video by Robert Hall misled viewers to believe that the X2T allowed toggling the group status by double tapping on a group button. That was only possible with the engineering sample he presented, the production units went back to the brain-dead complicated detour via the mode button.
05-09-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
For what it is worth, I have all three triggers.

I only bought the X2T because the R2 Pro Mark II was not available for Pentax yet at the time and because a video by Robert Hall misled viewers to believe that the X2T allowed toggling the group status by double tapping on a group button. That was only possible with the engineering sample he presented, the production units went back to the brain-dead complicated detour via the mode button.
Thanks, that you have all three is extremely helpful.

05-09-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark ii trigger. I use this with an R2 Transceiver for non-Flashpoint/Godox flashes, and an XPLOR 400 Pro, and several Flashpoint flashes. It's a fantastic system.
05-16-2021, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII is the best trigger, in my view.
It combines the functions of all the others (Bluetooth, channel scan, etc.), whereas the X2T and the XPro only give you a subset of the features respectively.

It has the best ergonomics because it saves you menu-diving and multiple button presses due to having more dedicated buttons. This results in some duplication of function availability, but the latter is not really a problem. It's buttons are backlit and the group buttons are arranged around the dial, so there is less finger/hand movement when you adjust power levels. Toggling groups is done efficiently by just double-tapping group buttons. The other triggers require a cumbersome use of the mode button and cycling through three options for groups A-C just to toggle a group on and off.

It's only potential downsides are that it is a bit bigger and unlike the X2T, it does not offer a hot-shoe connector. However, it trades the hot-shoe connection for a much larger display. Some users find the front-facing display of the X2T easy to read when the camera is mounted high on a tripod, for instance. In my view, the number of scenarios where the tilted displays of the XPro or the R2 Pro MarkII work better is much higher.

At $69 it is cheap enough that I would give it the nod any time of the day.

Thanks for your thoughts on the R2 Pro Mark II. I have one, haven't tried it yet, now I'm looking forward to it even more.
05-20-2021, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I'm not that well versed in triggers, but... the advantage of this unit is you can mount a flash on to this one. An advantage of the Godox/Flashpoint system (when you have multiple camera systems like I do) you can use the flashes for one system as slaves for the other system. So my Micro 4/3 flashes can be used as slaves when I shoot with my Pentax's. And vise a versa.
Not all models are cross brand, unfortunately. The TT350 series isn't, reportedly. So my newly acquired TT350P (Pentax version) can only work with the X2T-P trigger (also Pentax versions).
Supposedly, all other series of Godox/Flashpoint triggers and flashes can be mixed.
05-23-2021, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Not all models are cross brand, unfortunately. The TT350 series isn't, reportedly. So my newly acquired TT350P (Pentax version) can only work with the X2T-P trigger (also Pentax versions).
Supposedly, all other series of Godox/Flashpoint triggers and flashes can be mixed.
The Pentax compatible Godox units are the newest TTL flavor for Godox. Most other Godox units that came before needed a firmware update to work with them. My M43 Godox flashes TT350 and V86011 fire as slaves when the TT350P or the XproP trigger is master.

Last edited by wstruth; 05-23-2021 at 12:04 PM.
05-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Most other Godox units that came before needed a firmware update to work with them.
The last I looked, the list of update able TT685 and V860 models was in flux. Do you know if there is a full list somewhere of models that may be controlled from the Pentax-flavored flash and controllers?

Steve
05-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Pentax compatible Godox units are the newest TTL flavor for Godox. Most other Godox units that came before needed a firmware update to work with them. My M43 Godox flashes TT350 and V86011 fire as slaves when the TT350P or the XproP trigger is master.
Thanks. That's pretty interesting. I do have an m4/3 camera. Not sure I care enough to buy a TT350O for it, though.
05-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So, Adorama has the XproO trigger for Olympus/Panasonic on sale for just $20, so that is pretty tempting.

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2proo.html?

Do you think this trigger, when mounted onto my Lumix GX85 m43 body, would work with the TT350P off-camera setup as wireless slave in TTL mode ?

Conversely, do you think the X2T-P trigger, when mounted on my K-1 II, would work with the TT350O (Olympus/Panasonic mode) off-camera as wireless slave in TTL mode ?
Same question for X2T-P trigger with the TT685O flash ?
05-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
So, Adorama has the XproO trigger for Olympus/Panasonic on sale for just $20, so that is pretty tempting.

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2proo.html?

Conversely, do you think the X2T-P trigger, when mounted on my K-1 II, would work with the TT350O (Olympus/Panasonic mode) off-camera as wireless slave in TTL mode ?
Same question for X2T-P trigger with the TT685O flash ?
I recently purchased from Adorama the Flashpoint R2 Mark II TTL Transmitter for Pentax that was on sale to use on my K-3II in connection with the Flashpoint Mini for Olympus/Panasonic, It triggers the flash off-camera in manual mode fine, but in TTL mode the flash seems to fire only at full power as everything is overexposed even if exposure compensation is used. Before buying the transmitter, i understood that it would work in TTL mode off-camera; if it does, I haven't figured out how to do that yet, so hopefully someone will provide details on how to accomplish this.