Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #31

Original Poster
Yeah, it's a shame that there isn't much remote flash controller unit support Pentax TTL.
Now the only choice is Flashpoint R2 Pro and Godox X2T (have to tape off contact for single pin).
I'll get the Flashpoint controller anyway, and look at other options later (I am thinking of buying a Sony A7C)

06-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #32

I have the X2T there is an adapter you can get from amazon. I use it on my K1.

Mike
06-07-2021, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Yeah, it's a shame that there isn't much remote flash controller unit support Pentax TTL.
Now the only choice is Flashpoint R2 Pro and Godox X2T (have to tape off contact for single pin).
...and the Godox XPro-P.

And TIL the Elinchrom Skyport Pro. Huh.

No Profoto Air, or Broncolor TRS2.2, though (which looks to be heavily based on the Godox X1T, but is definitely not an X1T because it controls Broncolor lights, and is a transceiver.) No PocketWizard TTL.

We'll see if that aims-to-be-universal Fusion TLC Raven transmitter eventually works for anybody but Nikon...

QuoteQuote:
... I'll get the Flashpoint controller anyway, and look at other options later (I am thinking of buying a Sony A7C)
Godox would probably be a good system to go with, if you plan on being a multi-system shooter.

Sony peculiarities with Godox: Sony has one big bug with Godox off-camera flash: TTL underexposes with aperture settings wider than f/4. Most users compensate with FEC and complain bitterly on messageboards about it. Also, banding can happen with EFCS (electronic front curtain shutter), and the flash mode setting on the camera has to be set to "Fill" (and of course, wireless flash settings need to be turned off, since they're for Sony's WL smart optical scheme). Mirrorless usual flash trip-ups apply: electronic/silent curtain disables flash altogether. And the AF-assist light probably won't work (IR/UV filter over the main sensor). Otherwise, pretty much the same as for everyone else.
06-08-2021, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Last time I looked, the following supported Pentax TLL, in addition to Godox, and Elinchrome:Hensel also support the Pentax-compatible Cactus triggers, but only a very basic (non-TTL) version.

You may still get some used Cactus gear; their Pentax support was very decent, but you'd be limited to either their speedlights (RF60(x)), or other (compatible) speedlights, if you invest into additional Cactus transceivers.

Metz announced Pentax support a long while ago, but this never got anywhere.

06-08-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been following this thread since the start and it made me wonder whether other photographers ever bother with TTL for anything other than single flash units and, perhaps, changing lighting conditions. So I decided to start another thread on manual v TTL to see what other photographers felt. Manual use appears to be coming a good way out in front, so far. Contributors from this thread might want to chip in with their TTL views to add to the info ...
06-14-2021, 11:48 PM - 4 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me :

2 light stands ( a bigger one for the one w/ the umbrella ); (fill up bags/weights will be desired )
1 Grid (portable one for small flash )
2x YN560-IV
1x YN560 TX II
2 Silver umbrella (but almost always use one and the other is a standby )

A few shots done with the above. (using some or most of the stuff, but all with the bounce umbrella )

The bounce umbrella is more efficient which is why I use it over the shoot through.
There is also a need to cater for spares if its a paid job, so YMMV on stuff to carry.

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-15-2021 at 12:47 AM.
06-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Pic #1 is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

06-15-2021, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I originally think that umbrella didn't look natural outdoor, but I can see it works on a darker street/urban setting.
Maybe I can get away with just a softbox?
I see most of the people uses flash only, how do you think about these portable LED continuous lighting?
For outdoor it's not worth even considering.

Indoor many of the professional photographers I shoot with, having years of experience in studio lighting, are finding advantages to integrating continuous lighting in their workflow which has improved by leaps and bounds. One of my two small studios is entirely LED constant and very workable. Outdoor daylight? No way.
06-15-2021, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #39

Photos: Albums
You could just balance a bare flash with ambient. They're very good in wind
06-16-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
...and the Godox XPro-P.

And TIL the Elinchrom Skyport Pro. Huh.

No Profoto Air, or Broncolor TRS2.2, though (which looks to be heavily based on the Godox X1T, but is definitely not an X1T because it controls Broncolor lights, and is a transceiver.) No PocketWizard TTL.

We'll see if that aims-to-be-universal Fusion TLC Raven transmitter eventually works for anybody but Nikon...

Godox would probably be a good system to go with, if you plan on being a multi-system shooter.

Sony peculiarities with Godox: Sony has one big bug with Godox off-camera flash: TTL underexposes with aperture settings wider than f/4. Most users compensate with FEC and complain bitterly on messageboards about it. Also, banding can happen with EFCS (electronic front curtain shutter), and the flash mode setting on the camera has to be set to "Fill" (and of course, wireless flash settings need to be turned off, since they're for Sony's WL smart optical scheme). Mirrorless usual flash trip-ups apply: electronic/silent curtain disables flash altogether. And the AF-assist light probably won't work (IR/UV filter over the main sensor). Otherwise, pretty much the same as for everyone else.
I see, I'll keep that in mind with the problems of mirrorless with TTL flash.

---------- Post added 17-06-21 at 03:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Last time I looked, the following supported Pentax TLL, in addition to Godox, and Elinchrome:Hensel also support the Pentax-compatible Cactus triggers, but only a very basic (non-TTL) version.

You may still get some used Cactus gear; their Pentax support was very decent, but you'd be limited to either their speedlights (RF60(x)), or other (compatible) speedlights, if you invest into additional Cactus transceivers.

Metz announced Pentax support a long while ago, but this never got anywhere.
Of those, Phottix is the only one available around me, and asking for cheap as well.
Probably a good way to start dabble and change system along the way.

---------- Post added 17-06-21 at 03:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
For me :

2 light stands ( a bigger one for the one w/ the umbrella ); (fill up bags/weights will be desired )
1 Grid (portable one for small flash )
2x YN560-IV
1x YN560 TX II
2 Silver umbrella (but almost always use one and the other is a standby )

A few shots done with the above. (using some or most of the stuff, but all with the bounce umbrella )

The bounce umbrella is more efficient which is why I use it over the shoot through.
There is also a need to cater for spares if its a paid job, so YMMV on stuff to carry.

The last one is very nice, contrast stood out and well balanced with the background.