Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trailing Curtain w/ Manual Flash?

Is it possible to do trailing curtain flash with a manual flash/strobe (like a Viv 285HV)?

I'm thinking no as I have attempted it with no luck. When I set the K20D to Trailing Curtain Sync via the Fn menu and the shutter to 1sec in M mode my 285's still pop when the shutter opens.

Is this a dedicated flash only ability?

11-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess you are right. This is a dedicated flash feature, but makes me wonder what happens with the pc socket...????? Anyone tried this with trailing curtain setting?
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just tried. no joy with the 285.
11-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trailing curtain I believe is a flash unit thing. The camera pulls the trigger to a low voltage. The flash will trigger when it is first pulled down, leading curtain just as it starts up, trailing curtain. On my K20D when I use the PC to my 540 or 500 trailing curtain works.

After rereading the whole thread I may be misleading (ie wrong). Trailing curtain is not only a part flash but is part P-TTL (at least on Pentax flash unit). If the flash is not in P-TTL mode no matter where the switch is on the flash is it will act like leading curtain if the flash is not in P-TTL mode. The misleading part is if you use the PC port the flash may say it is in P-TTL but will only be a dumb flash and put out full power.

DAZ

Last edited by DAZ; 11-29-2008 at 10:48 AM.
11-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's one thing I was wondering about with my Pentax. If I remember correctly I could fire my off-camera flashes via trigger with rear-sync/trailing curtain on my D80. Oh well.
11-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess it would be a feature request for future bodies (I'm not going to hold my breath for a firmware upgrade) that since the camera and dedicated flash units are apparently smart enough to know when they're connected; to trigger the hot shoe accordingly. If dedicated attached trigger as it does now, if not and camera is set to trailing curtain then trigger the shoe (and PC socket) a hair's breadth before the curtain slams shut.
11-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I do believe that the flash has to be capable of this. I also believe that what happens is, the flash is actually fired several times within the split-second.

Finally, I beleive this type of flash will set you back mucho denaro

11-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I do believe that the flash has to be capable of this. I also believe that what happens is, the flash is actually fired several times within the split-second.
That's true for high-speed sync mode (necessary for shutter speeds faster than 1/180th) but not for trailing curtain sync, which is just one flash right at the end of the exposure.

QuoteQuote:
Finally, I beleive this type of flash will set you back mucho denaro
Both rear-curtain sync and high-speed sync are mid-tier flash features — you won't find them at the entry level, but you can get them on flashes for under $200.
A little under $200, depending on where you shop.
11-30-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Matt, Thanks for the correction.
12-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Matt is correct on this. When i've done trailing or rear flash on my Metz 48, i have to set rear curtain on the K10, then set PTTL on the flash, then go into a sub menu on the flash to select "rear"
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A bit frustrated that the K20D doesn't do rear curtain sync with manual triggering. Makes it impossible to take manual flash motion shots at night (properly).
05-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As with HSS I don't think rear curtain is a limitation of the camera but rather the flash tech. Both have to speak the same language for it to work properly.