Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2021, 10:32 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Godox TT350P | Noob's first month's impressions and observations

Yes, I know that the TT350P has been intensively discussed on this subforum and that the experts have provided a wealth of interesting and important information. In fact, it was all that discussion that piqued my interest in the Godox line and resulted in my frequent suggestion of the TT350P when the question of what compact flash to use on my K-3II/K-1/K-3iii comes up on other parts of the site. That said, it occurred to me that I should not be recommending something I had neither seen nor touched, so I got one.* I should add that my camera, a K-3, already has a very serviceable built-in flash that works quite nicely for what it is.

That bit of background aside, here is some additional background:
I am not a huge fan of P-TTL flash. In fact, I am of the opinion that it often causes more issues than the convenience is worth. (I could fill several pages supporting that statement, but won't.)
  • The majority of my work has traditionally been dominated by field work using available light.
  • In addition to the above, I do a fair amount of table-top work in support of my camera collecting hobby, some of which demands more than my available light can deliver.
  • In my line-up of actively used on-camera flash is an AF280T. It is in the active group because of its support for "auto" flash using its own on-board sensor. Works like a charm, even on the K-3.
Translation? Not a huge flash guy.
Confession...I actually have a reasonably complete setup up for wireless manual flash that includes fun stuff like softboxes and reflectors, but that stuff has nothing to do with the TT350P or at least not directly.

Executive Summary:
  • I like it
  • I like it so much it goes in the bag
  • Punches well above its weight and looks like a toy while doing so.

Feature Summary:
There is not much to say beyond what might be gleaned from official product descriptions, but I will write a few words anyway.
  • Very compact and lightweight
  • Tilt and swivel like the big boys
  • Powered by two (2) AA cells (same as Pentax AF201FG)
  • P-TTL (no optical wireless)
  • Manual (seven levels) with option for simple optical slave, both S1 and S2
  • HSS and TCS
  • Godox X2 wireless built in

General Impressions:
I was very surprised at my positive take for a piece of kit that I was not sure would have an obvious purpose in my bag. Build is solid and utility is surprisingly high, particularly when compared to non-full-size Pentax product that I won't be comparing it to. After a very few hours of play, it was obvious that it would see time for the odd fill or smallish area task where lugging a big flash around simply sounds stupid. Yes, I have some concerns about battery life, but those are not crippling.

Observations:
I wrote these down as I learned the flash. They are colored by that learning process and "noob" status in the Godox system and existing use of stuff in the flash box.
  • Wow...very tiny...toy-like tiny
  • In comparison to K-3 built-in (GN @28mm and longer = 13 (m)) and AF201FG (GN @24mm and longer = 20(m)):
    • GN @28mm = ~17 (by direct evaluation)**
    • GN @ 35mm = ~25 (by direct evaluation)
  • P-TTL is generally weak by about 1.5 EV. I found this surprising. Since it is a flash exposure, applying +1.5 EV on-camera solves the problem.
  • The above extends to HSS and TCS
  • M mode support for HSS and TCS is sort of cool. I know...how does that work. I will let you know once I figure out if it is some sort of cruel joke.
  • Lack of options for external power and PC sync are not a concern. If you desire either, you need a different class of product.
  • Plays well with X2Tp. Yes, that is the real reason I bought the TT350P. I got a killer deal on the controller and picked up the flash in EX+ condition used at KEH at a decent price.
  • Plays well with non-A lenses (no HSS or TCS). Use M mode and all is good.
  • Not too fond of "soft latch" battery door.
  • If it were any smaller, I could not work the controls. I have large hands, but fairly normal size finger tips and the dial control is on the ragged edge of being too small. The word for the day is to be gentle with the TT.
  • Supports 15 channels, though other X2/R2 products support 32. Much is made of the TT350P's ability to control or be controlled by other Godox X2 wireless devices. With any luck, Godox will give it channel parity with a firmware update.
  • The flash supports both "Hi" and "Lo" indicators for when the required output is outside the unit's capabilities, but are somewhat reversed such that "Hi" is displayed with underexposure and "Lo" with overexposure. Confusing, eh? There is also the matter of the message not being displayed for very long and the display not being lit while it is displayed.
  • Brightest pilot light on the planet...no way to make it dimmer. Need I mention that it is at eye level as one takes eye away from the viewfinder? Memo to self...close eyes when pulling away to avoid temporary blindness.
  • AF assist is ineffective on K-3, but can be turned off. This is true even with a petite lens on the camera. The problem appears to be one of aim where the patch is nowhere near center of frame.
  • If flash is on, AF assist on camera is always off. I don't see an easy work-around on this one.
  • Will fire on basic hot shoe (center contact + rail only) with level controls in manual mode.
  • Will fire on legacy Pentax cameras offering only analog dedication (center + mode + ready + rail) but as basic (center point only) flash, despite having the required foot pins.
  • S1 and S2 slave plays well with others. Yay!
  • Half press shutter will wake the flash, will not light the display. Oh, the joys of a small battery.
  • I tried out its "dome" diffuser for bare bulb emulation at 45° and it actually works pretty well as long as the ceiling is not too high or the subject too distant.
  • Works well as on-camera partner for cabled "Contrast Control" P-TTL. I do have the adapters and cables and yes, this interesting feature of Pentax flash does work when the TT350 is cabled with the built-in flash. At least it appear to work, even though it does not have a setting for the feature. Perhaps I was having a reaction to medication. I dunno...

Cautions and Kudos:
A few things to consider before purchase.
  • This does not look like a full-on main lighting solution and it isn't. Think light duty + benefits.
  • The above being said, it does punch well above its weight. How far above, I have yet to determine.
  • How well it works to control other Godox product using X2, I have not tried.
  • Build is quite good and while it appears and feels robust, there is no sense in testing to see what it can take.
  • I honestly can't think of any blatant cons.
  • I show it off to people who come see me. "Isn't it cute?"
  • Reminds me of Baby Yoda

Steve

(...no regrets...)

* The actual story is a bit more complicated and nuanced and at least partially the result of frustration with my K-3's built-in flash....very complicated and nuanced.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-07-2021 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling and wording
07-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review. I am also a recent buyer of the TT350P (along with a TT600), and I am really happy with it. I used to despite flash, despite always having one on every bodies I used to own, but now the TT350P is permanently mounted on my KP, while the TT600, which is much heavier, is waiting patiently in its bag.

I have found P-TTL to be accurate enough. For portraits, I have found the use of the build-in small white paper sheet reflector to deliver the truest colors.
07-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, B&H currently have $30 off the regular price.

Godox TT350P Mini for Pentax
07-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #4

One of us! one of us!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... it occurred to me that I should not be recommending something I had neither seen nor touched...
That's never stopped me from recommending Godox gear I've never seen/touched.

QuoteQuote:
Executive Summary:
  • I like it
Yup, me, too. It's an excellent unit. Too bad my TT350-O had its radio crap out after two years; but cheap enough to just get a second one, and I probably caused the failure by breaking its neck (more on this below).

QuoteQuote:
Very compact and lightweight
Pretty much its entire design aesthetic. It's been amazing seeing not just 3rd parties (e.g., the Meike MK420) but also OEMs aping this design ever since mirrorless gained traction. Canon's EL-100 was definitely them suddenly realizing their M and R customer were left in the lurch with only full-sized top-heavy speedlights or small accessory units without a bounce head.

QuoteQuote:
Tilt and swivel like the big boys
For the most part yes, but in one way, no. It only swivels 270º, like a pre-Strobist mid-level speedlight, which drives me insane. Once you've had 360º for bouncing, you never want to go back, and you keep trying to find ways to extend the swivel. Hence my breaking the neck on my first one. It actually will rotate past the 90º-left stop if you force it. But if you don't keep track of where you were, you can end up rotating it in a way that stresses/breaks internal wiring.

QuoteQuote:
Manual (seven levels)
Hair-splitting. But it's a seven-stop range (1-1/128), but 19 levels, because you can do that in 1/3EV increments. But also feel I should mention, if you're using HSS, the power range lowers to only four stops as 1/16 becomes your new minimum power level.

QuoteQuote:
Godox X2 wireless built in
Other thing a lot of people use the TT350 for is to be their first radio transmitter to an off-camera Godox speedlight (e.g., a $60 TT600). It's a cheaper way to start out for most than getting a dedicated transmitter, and allows for bigger lights off-camera while maintaining the small/light one for on-camera. However, its radio range isn't as large as that of the dedicated transmitters.

QuoteQuote:
- P-TTL is generally weak by about 1.5 EV. I found this surprising.

- The above extends to HSS and TCS
HSS tends to rob you of about 2EV of power when in use. Was the underexposure with or without HSS?

QuoteQuote:
M mode support for HSS and TCS is sort of cool. I know...how does that work. I will let you know once I figure out if it is some sort of cruel joke.
As a Canon shooter, I remember being shocked when I realized my Olympus flash gear only did HSS in conjunction with TTL and not separate from it. HSS+M works really well for when you want to avoid overexposure while using fill-flash with shallow depth of field for outdoor portraits, but you still want flash exposure consistency shot-to-shot.

QuoteQuote:
Lack of options for external power and PC sync are not a concern. If you desire either, you need a different class of product.
Yup. If you want small/light/minimal, it's unlikely you want to lug external triggers or an external battery pack, too. And if you're not a Pentax shooter and need the extended battery life, you always have the option of buying a Godox V350 instead (uses a li-on pack, roughly 3x the capacity of a set of AAs).

But. I wish the hell they hadn't also removed the recycle beep to let you audibly know when the flash is ready to fire without having to visually check the back of the flash. That feature is super-handy. Guess they had to be ruthless on what could fit inside that tiny case and there wasn't room on the board for one more chip+buzzer.

QuoteQuote:
Plays well with X2Tp.
I've found two things the TT350 doesn't do the TT685 does as a radio slave. 1) Remote zoom control. It pretends it's zooming (the bulb racks back and forth), but it's not (it always ends up in the same place). Both my copies of the TT350-O do that, and I've received no word of a fix from Flashpoint support. 2) Cross-brand TTL. I am getting cross-brand TTL with my XPro-F on my Fuji X100T, but not with the Xpro-C on my 5Dii. Flashpoint support very succinctly told me it's not designed to do cross-brand TTL. The TT350 and V350, unlike the TT685/V860 II and AD lights, have never received firmware updates for different-brand TTL support.

QuoteQuote:
If it were any smaller, I could not work the controls. I have large hands, but fairly normal size finger tips and the dial control is on the ragged edge of being too small...
I have tiny girl fingers, so I have no issues with the teeny controls, but I would agree; the control wheel in particular feels more fragile/delicate than the ones on the full-sized speedlights.

I also wish the UI/button placement across the TT350, TT600, and TT685 were more consistent. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the TT350 and TT600 don't have dot-matrix LCD displays, so can't do soft buttons, but even the test button and radio sync-mode buttons are placed/labelled differently among the three models. Context-switching if you're using a mix of the units can be a pain.

I do note that the button layout is more similar between the rumored V860 III and V850 III (the li-on counterparts to the TT685 and TT600), so hopefully Godox is making efforts in the direction of unifying the UI.

QuoteQuote:
Supports [16] channels, though other X2/R2 products support 32.
You know, I never noticed that, but having a different (smaller) transmitter/antenna combo would explain both this and the range reduction as a transmitter.

QuoteQuote:
With any luck, Godox will give it channel parity with a firmware update.
I actually think this is very unlikely, given how old the TT350 is as a model (ca. 2017), and how none of the other "flavors" have received that as an update. Points more to this being a hardware thing. I don't think it's going to get 32 channels unless an updated version rolls out, and maybe not even then. I am really hoping the rumored V860 III / V850 III rollout indicates that Godox is planning on refreshing the entire older speedlight lineup (and we might actually see a TT685 II-P and V860 III-P). But that would likely mean any TT350/V350 refresh would be last as the four full-sized fresnel speedlights date from 2015/2016.

QuoteQuote:
I tried out its "dome" diffuser for bare bulb emulation at 45° and it actually works pretty well as long as the ceiling is not too high or the subject too distant.
Just FYI, if you ever lose it, Adorama sells replacements. Bit expensive for a piece of tupperware, but at least it's there.

QuoteQuote:
How well it works to control other Godox product using X2, I have not tried.
I have. It's okay. The UI is kind of a PITA compared to one of the dedicated transmitters or the TT685 I have. The V1 is supposedly even better as a radio master. You are limited to three-group control (not five), and you have no access to remote zoom or modeling light control, or any of the capabilities that are buried in the custom functions on the dedicated transmitters (e.g., DIST giving you "close mode"; SCAN to set to the least-crowded channel, SHOOT for changing when settings are pushed out for remote use or sharing lights with another shooter, etc.)

QuoteQuote:
Reminds me of Baby Yoda
Name it Grogu!

07-04-2021, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
HSS tends to rob you of about 2EV of power when in use. Was the underexposure with or without HSS?
Without HSS.

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Just FYI, if you ever lose it, Adorama sells replacements. Bit expensive for a piece of tupperware, but at least it's there.
Thanks for the constructive comments and the note on this. I got my TT350P from KEH. They had a whole slew of TT350s (all flavors) for $50 each, shipping included. They came with case and stand, but no dome. I was bummed, but Google was good enough to show me that I could get one for $10 at B&H. Happy camper.

Steve
07-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

great stuff Steve!

although i do not understand TCS?

got the flashpoint zoom mini and really like it.......it worked great as a transmitter with the godox AD200 just fine whether at sync or HSS....however when in the transmitter mode the option for rear curtain sync becomes unavailable which sucks but not a surprise since the x-pro does not offer it......however it is nice that it is available when it's just used as a flash which made me excited believing it may have the option when used as a transmitter.....ugh
07-04-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
although i do not understand TCS?
Trailing Curtain Sync (aka second curtain sync and back/rear curtain sync)

Steve

07-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Trailing Curtain Sync (aka second curtain sync and back/rear curtain sync)
thanks.....thought so but obviously not sure
07-05-2021, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

got to try out the flashpoint zoom-mini as a controller for the AD200 (handheld don't have a stand i can trust yet).......TTL at 0 or -1 (which is Steve's favorite ) since i was dealing with a rather fluid and changing grouparea.........K-1 Av matrix metering.....FA77

07-05-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
got to try out the flashpoint zoom-mini as a controller for the AD200 (handheld don't have a stand i can trust yet).......TTL at 0 or -1 (which is Steve's favorite ) since i was dealing with a rather fluid and changing grouparea.........K-1 Av matrix metering.....FA77

Looks like it works extremely well. Good work!

Steve
07-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Looks like it works extremely well. Good work!
thanks Steve....as a transmitter only did its job......what did fail to do was to see how well it performed as the on camera flash with hss
08-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

some other side notes:
as on camera flash it performs rear sync as it should but when switched as transmitter the rear sync function is no longer available......(rear sync is not available on the x-pro-p either)

multi flash/ stroboscopic does function on camera and as transmitter
08-08-2021, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

I've just bought the TT350P as a compact flash to go with the K3 iii, and took a few test shots today to compare with the Pentax AF360FGZ II. The two flashes have the same guide number (36) at their maximum zoom. The TT350P is a bit less powerful but makes up for it by zooming to 105mm (in manual, as I gather Pentax cameras will only ever request zoom up to 58mm or so), while the Pentax flash only zooms to 58mm.

I was wondering which would be best for fill for telephoto shots of birds in the garden at longer distances (noting they're both a bit underpowered for this!) - specifically whether the extra zoom range on the Godox flash would confer any advantage - so I tested with the Sigma APO EX DG 100-300 F4.

In the first sequence, I set the camera to underexpose the ambient by about -1.7EV in manual and set both flashes to manual, 100%, maximum zoom. These were shot at 300mm telephoto, and the distance was around 7m, which was at the limit of what the Pentax flash was suggesting for P-TTL. The results are similar, but the Pentax flash was clearly slightly brighter at full power, in spite of the Godox's greater zoom.

In the second sequence I then tried P-TTL and found that both flashes produced pretty much identical exposure, and both looked a bit underexposed to me. Comparing to the earlier shots the flashes clearly weren't firing at 100% when in P-TTL mode.

I wondered whether P-TTL was just underexposing when the flashes were at the extreme end of their working distance, so later in the day I tried another couple of P-TTL shots at around half the distance to the subject (same lens but at the 100mm end of the zoom range). Again, both flashes were manually zoomed to their maximum. Again, I found that both produced identical exposure with P-TTL, and both looked a bit underexposed. Finally, I adjusted the manual exposure on the camera to expose the ambient at 0EV rather than -1.7EV and took a shot without flash and, lo and behold, the exposure was almost identical to the two P-TTL shots. So it seems that P-TTL on both flashes was working correctly, and the camera really did want to expose these shots that way, although they seem a bit underexposed to me.

So the conclusion seems to be
- The AF360FGZ II is slightly more powerful at distance
- P-TTL seems to work identically on both and in this test appeared to produce the exposure the camera wanted
Attached Images

08-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I know that the TT350P has been intensively discussed on this subforum and that the experts have provided a wealth of interesting and important information. In fact, it was all that discussion that piqued my interest in the Godox line and resulted in my frequent suggestion of the TT350P when the question of what compact flash to use on my K-3II/K-1/K-3iii comes up on other parts of the site. That said, it occurred to me that I should not be recommending something I had neither seen nor touched, so I got one.* I should add that my camera, a K-3, already has a very serviceable built-in flash that works quite nicely for what it is.

That bit of background aside, here is some additional background:
I am not a huge fan of P-TTL flash. In fact, I am of the opinion that it often causes more issues than the convenience is worth. (I could fill several pages supporting that statement, but won't.)
  • The majority of my work has traditionally been dominated by field work using available light.
  • In addition to the above, I do a fair amount of table-top work in support of my camera collecting hobby, some of which demands more than my available light can deliver.
  • In my line-up of actively used on-camera flash is an AF280T. It is in the active group because of its support for "auto" flash using its own on-board sensor. Works like a charm, even on the K-3.
Translation? Not a huge flash guy.
Confession...I actually have a reasonably complete setup up for wireless manual flash that includes fun stuff like softboxes and reflectors, but that stuff has nothing to do with the TT350P or at least not directly.

Executive Summary:
  • I like it

Feature Summary:
There is not much to say beyond what might be gleaned from official product descriptions, but I will write a few words anyway.
  • Very compact and lightweight
  • Tilt and swivel like the big boys