Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

5 in 1 Reflectors

I’ve got zero studio experience and can’t remember the last time I used a flash, but I’m interested in experimenting with portraits and product photography.

A 5-in-1 looks like a pretty cheap investment, but there are a few options for sizes and shapes.

Any tips for picking a size/shape?

07-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on if you are working in a studio or outside. I have a small set that folds up to maybe an 8" round bag for use in the field, mostly for flowers and other small items. I think it expands to maybe 24". For portraits I have found the larger the better but others with more experience might have a different opinion. In the studio getting the reflector arranged and held in place has always been the hard part for me so consider how you will hold it. If you have an assistance then there is no issue but if not think about how you can easily hold and adjust it.
07-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure on 5 and 1 specifically, but some reflectors have a silver side and a gold side for a warmer cast, so you may want to keep that in mind too.
07-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Not sure on 5 and 1 specifically, but some reflectors have a silver side and a gold side for a warmer cast, so you may want to keep that in mind too.
Semi transparent
White
Black
Silver
Gold
That the five

07-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tmoses Quote
Semi transparent
White
Black
Silver
Gold
That the five
Gotcha. Sounds like it covers about everything then.
07-10-2021, 11:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I rarely need my 5 in 1 reflector set (because of the photographic genres I'm interested in), therefore I only have a cheap foldable set.
For the rare occasions I use them, they work fine, but if you plan on using them more regularly you might wanna consider more expensive reflectors because they tend to be less wobbly and can be operated more easily with a single hand
07-11-2021, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Like you said 5 in 1 are not expensive. I have a 43" that is used it mostly outdoors for portraits. I think the bigger the better.
For product photography, you can check this related thread with a quick video I did.
How I photograph Scale Models and other objects - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,

07-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a small 5 in 1, which is sufficient for the limited use I make of it. Because it is small, I can throw it in camera bag, and put it to use in most spaces. Since it is small, I can hold it with one hand and use the camera with the other hand for quick improvised situations.

I encourage you to experiment with one, the effect is often subtle but enough to make the image better.
07-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a Neewer 5 in 1 set about three years ago. Very inexpensive. Used it more when I first bought it than I do now but I still find it comes in handy now and then. Use it for Macro and close ups of flowers. It's a 60 x 90 cm set. Supposed to fold down with a twist into a small circle to fit inside a nylon carrying case. Doesn't work that good so I don't bother. Also bought a Neewer collapsible stand/tripod thingy to hold them. That came in very handy. I wouldn't consider them professional grade at all but for me has been well worth the money spent.
07-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might be better off with a softbox if your using mainly for flash. I have the 5 in 1 reflector and find it useful for reflecting natural light, white for late day portraits, use silver to fill shadows but i wouldn't use to reflect direct light like the sun or flash. The gold i didn't like, the results were too warm for my taste. I haven't tried the transparent with the flash as I use a softbox with the flash.
07-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's honestly going to be a mixed use experiment. There are 2 things that I'd like to explore with one:

1) Natural light portraits
2) Images of the random junk that that I collect, using using LED lighting. I guess these would techically be still-life images, rather than product photographs. I was recently experimenting with a bourbon bottle, next to a stack of books, but the LED lighting in the room was not pleasing.

I may also add a flash into these experiments, but plan to start off using cheap LED lights.
07-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you're going to be doing still life images, a reflector will give you lots of flexibility. My favourite way to use a reflector is as a scrim to soften direct light that would be falling on my subjects. Diffusing LED lighting is a good fit, if you'd prefer to add light on one side of the subject, but not on the other.

But as others have said, you'll need a way to hold the reflector still while making images. A voice activated light stand (aka: an assistant) will be needed outdoors, as the large surface area of the reflector will catch the wind and topple your kit over.

On the other hand, while working with non-human subjects indoors you can Mickey-Mouse a solution to keep your reflector still without much of a problem.

Have fun with your experiment!
07-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another reason I prefer the smaller reflector is that it is easier to use for tabletop photography like the OP describes, and it is easier to improvise a holder of some sort for a smaller reflector, sometimes I prop it up against a wall or a few books, etc
07-13-2021, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Hello.

A while ago I was looking for the same. Finally I got a round white/silver one ('just' 2 in 1), about 105 cm diameter. It's big enough to bounce light, and I can use the silver side if I need to bounce more light.
I chose one of average quality (walimex).
I'm happy with it. It's difficult to recommend a size, maybe I could get a smaller one with a grip, to use on the outside.

Regards.
07-13-2021, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
t's difficult to recommend a size, maybe I could get a smaller one with a grip, to use on the outside.
Go to a hardware store and get a few clamps to hold the reflector, the one you have should work anywhere.