Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #1

Xpro-P TTL Wireless Flash Trigger Compatible with 645Nii?

I recently purchased a medium format film 645Nii and would like to utilize my AD200 and V1 Godox flashes. Would the Xpro-P work with this camera and provide TTL compatibility? Wondering if the hot shoe pin outs are similar to the more modern Pentax DSLRs.Thanks in advance.

07-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pin functions are the same.*

However, it will work with your camera, but only as a simple trigger. The Xpro-P TTL supports P-TTL, but not Pentax TTL cameras that use off-the-film metering such as your 645NII.

Steve

* Added: What I mean is that the shoe contacts are used for the same tasks as with other devices that use the 5P shoe. Per the diagram below the contact usage is:
  • Digital: bidirectional communication between flash and camera using several serial data protocols.
  • Trigger: provides standard X-sync
  • Mode: provides legacy analogue protocol indicating flash mode; also used by analogue protocol TTL to send quench signal to flash
  • Ready: provides legacy flash ready indication, but is widely supported by most bodies and devices.
Modern devices can support full functionality through the digital contact alone, but will honor the other three contacts as step-down support on older cameras.

Linked from the KMP site with full discussion HERE

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-28-2021 at 07:09 PM.
07-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Even without P-TTL, the Xpro-P controller and flash combo is so useful. I recently put together a kit with a couple of AD-100’s and V1 flashes. I’ve shot it with my Pentax KP. I don’t bother with P-TTL, preferring to use the great wireless manual controls from the Xpro.

For shooting film, I would either use a digital body as a “polaroid” camera to test exposures, or use my Sekonic meter with a flash sync port for easy metering while wirelessly controlling the flashes.
07-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the XPro P and use it with a couple of AD400 Pros, an AD600Pro and a 200. Pretty happy with it. On the older cameras, it's about equivalent to having a trigger cable, but has the advantage of wireless and control of the individual strobes. I'd like to add the Sekonic spot meter that has the Godox radio module in it... but a bit pricy and can't justify it right now.

07-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Harry6969 Quote
I recently purchased a medium format film 645Nii and would like to utilize my AD200 and V1 Godox flashes. Would the Xpro-P work with this camera and provide TTL compatibility? Wondering if the hot shoe pin outs are similar to the more modern Pentax DSLRs.Thanks in advance.

TTL with MF Film? I'm going to need counseling. That's like putting an automatic transmission into an A/C Cobra. Doable but ... not being mean spirited. Invest some time in learning how to light without the training wheels. You'll find it exhilarating!
07-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Schmoo Quote
TTL with MF Film? I'm going to need counseling. That's like putting an automatic transmission into an A/C Cobra. Doable but ... not being mean spirited. Invest some time in learning how to light without the training wheels. You'll find it exhilarating!
Not being mean spirited, but we at PF generally avoid making demeaning comments or insinuating another user lacks basic skills. Of course, that begs the question of using radio wireless to manage metered ratios using manual technique. It is not unusual to leverage new tech with old tools or even to simply use what tech the camera natively offers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-29-2021 at 10:25 PM.
07-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not being mean spirited, but we at PF generally avoid making demeaning comments or insinuating another user lacks basic skills. Of course, that begs the question of using radio wireless to manage metered ratios using manual technique. It is not unusual to leverage new tech with old tools or even to simply use what tech the camera natively offers.

Steve
It does. Mea culpa. Except for insinuating another user lacks basics skills. I struggle to understand why basic skills, given ubiquitous, free information sources, including free public libraries, are a paucity. I suppose it is, as the Jesuits explained to me in great earnestness, a mystery. I shall digress and retire from any further comment whatsoever to avoid harm, injury and insult to those who view a book or manual as an obstacle to their purchases. If you splash a lot of cash, it should just work, right?

08-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The pin functions are the same.*

However, it will work with your camera, but only as a simple trigger. The Xpro-P TTL supports P-TTL, but not Pentax TTL cameras that use off-the-film metering such as your 645NII.

Steve

* Added: What I mean is that the shoe contacts are used for the same tasks as with other devices that use the 5P shoe. Per the diagram below the contact usage is:
  • Digital: bidirectional communication between flash and camera using several serial data protocols.
  • Trigger: provides standard X-sync
  • Mode: provides legacy analogue protocol indicating flash mode; also used by analogue protocol TTL to send quench signal to flash
  • Ready: provides legacy flash ready indication, but is widely supported by most bodies and devices.
Modern devices can support full functionality through the digital contact alone, but will honor the other three contacts as step-down support on older cameras.

Linked from the KMP site with full discussion HERE
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

---------- Post added 08-02-21 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Schmoo Quote
It does. Mea culpa. Except for insinuating another user lacks basics skills. I struggle to understand why basic skills, given ubiquitous, free information sources, including free public libraries, are a paucity. I suppose it is, as the Jesuits explained to me in great earnestness, a mystery. I shall digress and retire from any further comment whatsoever to avoid harm, injury and insult to those who view a book or manual as an obstacle to their purchases. If you splash a lot of cash, it should just work, right?
No worries Joe. To learn in a public forum you have to develop a think skin. I posted many images that resulted in insults so I take what I can learn and move on. Too often when someone asks a question they are not given actionable suggestions but told what to do instead. Like asking how to spot meter for a bright back light but told to learn how to use sunny 16 instead. I don't splash cash. I just want to see if I can use what I already own.