Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Metz 64 AF-1 firmware and/or information needed

I had a feeling I would post about this subject.

A new Metz 64 AF-1 just arrived today. It has firmware version 1.0.

The only Metz site left that I know about is Metz Canada. It has some Metz firmware for Pentax listed, but does not say if the version for the Metz 64 AF-1 is a global update for all of versions. Does anyone have any insight regarding this? Better yet, does anyone have the lastest Pentax firmware for the Metz 65 AF-1 saved?

I am also looking for a power pack for the flash. B&H and Adorama are both sold out. Anyone know of anyone else who might stock one?

At least two other forum members purchased Metz 64's from B&H's deal zone the same day I did, so I expect they will be looling for updates as well.

Appreciate any help anyone can give!

Roger

Last edited by rgknief60; 08-01-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Add Link
08-01-2021, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

As usual with Metz there is only one update and that's it. You could say it is global...
08-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
As usual with Metz there is only one update and that's it. You could say it is global...
Thanks much.

I ran the software, and the USB driver installed correctly. I checked the .inf file to verify.

Unfortunately, the software says, "No Compatible Device Found." So I am at a standstill after uninstalling and re-installing, rebooting, and trying again.

If someone can help me solve that issue, there is still the question, "Is a Metz server still serviing the firmware update for the updater?"

I hope that there is a stand alone update. I've found both the global updater and stand alone updates for other Metz Flashes for Pentax.

Any ideas?
08-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I guess the problem is that Metz Mecablitz has gone bankrupt. A while back I still could gain access to the German website but that one has been closed now. So the message you get is actually saying that it can not access the server in Germany. The more modern flashes from Metz all go with this program updater. I just acquired the last Metz M400 for Pentax and have the same problem, but as long as the flash works I do not care about the firmware update. But that is also why the Metz flashes are so cheap at the moment. They went bankrupt not because of the flashes but they also developed an electric scooter and they could not sell it...

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 08-02-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
08-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess the problem is that Metz Mecablitz has gone bankrupt.
I will keep hunting for stand-alone versions for the M64, 58, & 400.

I've found Pentax stand alone versions (I think) for everything but the 58, 64, and 400. I'm not sure about the 26. I have not done the research to find out if they are the lastest. I have nothing for the 58.

Thanks for your research and help.
08-03-2021, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I will keep hunting for stand-alone versions for the M64, 58, & 400.

I've found Pentax stand alone versions (I think) for everything but the 58, 64, and 400. I'm not sure about the 26. I have not done the research to find out if they are the lastest. I have nothing for the 58.

Thanks for your research and help.
They are all there : Firmware Updates – Metz

The MB15, MB64 and M400 is for all versions.

For Metz 58 AF-1, 58 AF-2, 50 AF-1, 48 AF-1 and 44 AF-1 there is only a German version available on the bottom right.

For the power pack there is one selling on foto Skoda in Czechoslovakia : METZ Power Pack P8 - zdroj pro MB 64 AF-1 | Foto?koda
08-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
They are all there : Firmware Updates – MetzThe MB15, MB64 and M400 is for all versions.
For the power pack...
Thanks for your research and the link to the power pack, FS999!

The problem with the MB15, 64, & 400 executable files is that they do not contain firmware. They contain drivers for the flashes so that they are recognized properly, and a program to verify that the proper flash is connected to the computer. If the proper flash is connected, then it downloads the firmware from Metz and installs it on the flash.

It appears that the German server which hosts the firmware is down. I'm hoping someone has a stand-alone version of the firmware for the 64 that does not require internet verification and download from Metz.

Cheers!

Roger

08-06-2021, 12:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can try to contact Amplis Foto Inc, perhaps they can send you the file...
08-07-2021, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just acquired the last Metz M400 for Pentax and have the same problem, but as long as the flash works I do not care about the firmware update.
They are all there : Firmware Updates – MetzThe MB15, MB64 and M400 is for all versions.

I finally got the firmware installed for the Metz 64 AF-1. I turns out that I had a Windows 7 issue--at least my particular installation of it.

Browsing through the drivers folder, I noticed that there is a 32 bit version of the driver.

So I booted up my old Windows XP laptop and installed using the firmware on the Metz Canada firmware page, (the same version I tried before I started this thread).

When I ran the update, it downloaded the firmware from the Metz site, then crashed with a memory error. I rebooted the computer. When I ran the update the second time, it downloaded the firmware a second time, then successfully updated the flash.

The key with XP seems to be to reboot the computer before trying to run the firmware update.

So the Metz server for firmware is still running as of today.

Thanks much!

Roger
08-08-2021, 03:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I will boot up my old computer as well. Did not realize it. Or maybe set Win 10 to comply with the XP settings of the installer.