Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #1

Using flash with mirror lockup on 645Z

Will flash work when activating the mirror lockup on a 645Z?

I have tried and have not been able to make this work. I use a remote to trigger the flashes but they don't work when mirror lockup is enabled.

Thank you techies out there for any imput.

DM

09-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey David, I'm a little confused, as I understand mirror lock up to be used for longer shutter speeds to eliminate introduced camera shake/vibration, but the flash sync speed is not a factor with that problem.
09-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flash in manual power setting ?
09-16-2021, 01:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
I am shooting animals in a studio setting and have a slight delay when using cable release so the idea of using the mirror lockup was instant trigger when pressing the cable release but because of the studio setting I need flash. Yes, all shooting is in manual.

09-16-2021, 02:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have your camera (K-1 here) and have never tried flash with MLU, so I am not much help really

Does the flash fire if mounted on the hot shoe ?

I would suggest a cross-post in the medium format section too.

Last edited by pschlute; 09-16-2021 at 02:25 AM.
09-16-2021, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I would suggest a cross-post in the medium format section too.
As this is a flash use inquiry, I have edited the title to include the 645Z reference.
Cross posting images to compatible categories is OK, but it is preferred to only have one discussion thread per topic.
09-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by macd Quote
I am shooting animals in a studio setting and have a slight delay when using cable release
Just a question, do you have Shake Reduction enabled while on the tripod? If so, turning it off will allow the shutter to fire as soon as you release it.

Edit - About 2 minutes into the tutorial, the narrator discusses the lag time when using SR.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 09-16-2021 at 06:15 AM.
09-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi all and thanks for all your feedback.

1. Flash works perfectly fine.
2. All setting on Manual, including manual focus.
3. Shake Reduction if off.
4. Lens is the 28-45
5. Slight lag occurs only when using cable release, longer lags occur if using remote camera trigger.
6. If using camera shutter button, then it's instant as it should be, but again, this lag occurs when using a cable release.
7. Flash works on M and X fine but the second I engage Mirror Lockup flash does not trigger...this is the question????
09-16-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On page R44 in the appendix section of the 645z manual, it clearly states that flash and mirror lock up work fine together.

As I am not familiar with the 645z personally, I can only guess at the nature of the problem.

Do you have your camera set up such that it will be using live view electronic shutter mode while in mirror lockup mode? If so, disable that function.

I had a similar issue not too long ago with my K-1. What I learned from my experience was that the flash will not fire in electronic shutter mode during live view; it will only work in mechanical shutter mode. I adjusted the setting in my camera to drop the first shutter back down while in live view when the shutter release button is pressed before a photo is taken. (This setting, on a K-1 is found by going into menu 2, 'LV electronic shutter').

However, this process will defeat the intended purpose of using mirror lockup in the first place, as it will add a delay to taking your photo as the front shutter is dropped and then raised again. (Unless you are not using live view when you press the shutter release).

Before diving through the menus, you can test this out yourself by putting your camera into mirror lockup mode with live view off and then taking a photo with flash and seeing if it works.

Good luck

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 09-16-2021 at 05:50 PM.
09-16-2021, 10:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the guidance Gerbermiester and the rest of you fine folks but I give up, can't make this work. Maybe its because the flash in on a remote trigger but all my settings that all have suggested I had already done. Very weird but it's not a deal breaker, I can still do the shoots just have to anticipate the action and then trigger the cable release.
09-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Do you have your camera set up such that it will be using live view electronic shutter mode while in mirror lockup mode? If so, disable that function.
The OP is talking about normal viewfinder mode, not Live View.

You cannot activate MLU when in LV because....well, the mirror is already up

You are correct about flash being disabled when in LV ES mode, but I dont think this is relevant here. I don't actually think the 645z has electronic shutter ?
09-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You cannot activate MLU when in LV because....well, the mirror is already up
Fair enough. I wasn't sure if LV could be used when mirror lockup is engaged. As I understand it, MLU just lifts the mirror but doesn't also open the shutter like LV does. But, it looks as though the OP's issue isn't related to the first shutter curtain as I had guessed.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
09-21-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
To clarify to all who have chimed in...

1. If you read my original post, nothing is mentioned on Live View and actually, the flash can be triggered in live view. The issue is there is a huge delay between images and if I was shooting static subjects it would not be a problem but I'm shooting live, moving subjects as the photo that I will upload shows.
2. Flash is on a remote triggered mounted on the hot shoe.
3. If the Mirror Lockup dial engaged, then the flash will not trigger and that is the issue.

So the issue is a slight delay from the time you press on the button of the cable release to the time the shutter activates, this delay is a split second but it could be slow enough for me to miss the action, so my thought was, if I have the mirror lockup activated then the camera will trigger faster, WRONG!!!!!

Last edited by macd; 10-07-2021 at 07:07 PM.