Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone using the Peak Design Aluminum Travel Tripod.

I currently own a Manfroto MT190XPRO4. It is a great tripod for using in a single location. I’m looking at purchasing the Peak Design Alumiinum Travell Tripod for Landscape photography. It seems like it would be much easier to haul around than the Manfroto. My issue is there is nobody near me that sell them. So I have no way to check it out. I’m hoping that someone on the forums owns one and can tell me what they think of it. Ex: Is it sturdy and stable? Is it easy to carry? …..

Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

09-20-2021, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I currently own a Manfroto MT190XPRO4. It is a great tripod for using in a single location. I’m looking at purchasing the Peak Design Alumiinum Travell Tripod for Landscape photography. It seems like it would be much easier to haul around than the Manfroto. My issue is there is nobody near me that sell them. So I have no way to check it out. I’m hoping that someone on the forums owns one and can tell me what they think of it. Ex: Is it sturdy and stable? Is it easy to carry? …..

Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
G'day,

I use a Manfrotto 055 tripod as my primary and picked up the CF version of the Peak Design tripod a few months ago.

Firstly, all tripods are a compromise so don't expect the same level of stability as with the Manfrotto. I have used the Peak Design with the K-1 and it did what I wanted from it: provide a light, compact tripod for travelling on a plane and on a motorcycle.

I normally use a geared head so wasn't keen on going back to a ballhead but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

The tripod has plenty of flexibility in how it can be used and the weight difference between aluminium and CF isn't significant so saving money is possible.

Having this tripod has meant more capture options and a bag for sand or rocks is an easy way to add stability when you need it.

I think the Peak Design is a premium bit of kit that I can recommend if you want a quality travel tripod to work alongside your main tripod.

Tas
09-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been eyeing it also. However if I do I’m convinced I’d need the carbon version to make it worth switching from my Sirui.
09-20-2021, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One day I'm sure I will find a use for a tripod.

09-21-2021, 01:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day,

I use a Manfrotto 055 tripod as my primary and picked up the CF version of the Peak Design tripod a few months ago.

Firstly, all tripods are a compromise so don't expect the same level of stability as with the Manfrotto. I have used the Peak Design with the K-1 and it did what I wanted from it: provide a light, compact tripod for travelling on a plane and on a motorcycle.

I normally use a geared head so wasn't keen on going back to a ballhead but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

The tripod has plenty of flexibility in how it can be used and the weight difference between aluminium and CF isn't significant so saving money is possible.

Having this tripod has meant more capture options and a bag for sand or rocks is an easy way to add stability when you need it.

I think the Peak Design is a premium bit of kit that I can recommend if you want a quality travel tripod to work alongside your main tripod.

Tas
Thank you very much Tas. Isn’t the head replaceable? If you don’t mind me asking. What gear head are you using? That would probably be my next purchase.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-21-21 at 02:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don’t use it much. But I do use it for long exposures. I also use it sometimes when I want to bracket shots because of difficult lighting conditions.

I have just left the work force due to a disability. And now that I have a lot of time on my hands. I want to see if I can take my photography skills up a notch. The disability is also the main reason for the lighter tripod. Beside the fact that even if I was 100%. I would not want to haul the Manfroto around all day.
09-21-2021, 04:29 AM   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you very much Tas. Isn’t the head replaceable? If you don’t mind me asking. What gear head are you using? That would probably be my next purchase.
Hi Steve,

I hadn't considered replacing/swapping the Peak Design head, but apparently you can change the head according to Peak Design: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2986/1172/files/INS-Tripod-Ball-Head-Adapt...g?v=1584487742

My first geared head was a Manfrotto 410. I like this unit as it's a bit more compact than the other one I replaced it with, the Manfrotto 410. I picked up the larger more expensive one when I bought the K-1. Not sure I really needed it though.

The control knobs on the 410 are what I prefer as the larger unit uses a rubber ring around the quick adjusters and they need to be glued down.

I find both geared heads are good but bulky but once you're set up the ability to change position quickly and do fine adjustments makes them my favourite mounts to use for landscapes etc.

Tas
09-21-2021, 05:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve,

I hadn't considered replacing/swapping the Peak Design head, but apparently you can change the head according to Peak Design: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2986/1172/files/INS-Tripod-Ball-Head-Adapt...g?v=1584487742

My first geared head was a Manfrotto 410. I like this unit as it's a bit more compact than the other one I replaced it with, the Manfrotto 410. I picked up the larger more expensive one when I bought the K-1. Not sure I really needed it though.

The control knobs on the 410 are what I prefer as the larger unit uses a rubber ring around the quick adjusters and they need to be glued down.

I find both geared heads are good but bulky but once you're set up the ability to change position quickly and do fine adjustments makes them my favourite mounts to use for landscapes etc.

Tas
Thank you. I was looking at the 410.

09-21-2021, 05:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can change it but part of the design of that tripod is that the whole thing nests together very compactly and the head sits very short at the top - a different head might work but it might be a bit bulkier.
09-21-2021, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It may be worth having a look at the PF review here: Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It may be worth having a look at the PF review here: Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thank You very much. Will read it now.
09-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve,

Tas
One other quick question. The head doesn’t pan? So you need to turn the whole tripod to frame your shot properly?

Last edited by steve_k; 09-22-2021 at 11:34 AM.
09-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other quick question. The head doesn’t pan? So you need to turn the whole tripod to frame your shot properly?
No, you don't have to pick up the tripod to rotate it, however the design has enabled a more compact tripod in the stowed position by allowing the head to sit into the legs. To rotate there is a locking ring at the top of the tripod that pins the head in place that you undo. This allows you to pull the head up and clear of the tripod legs to enable panning, rotating titling etc. It doesn't have a separate rotating section like some heads, the panning is using the ball so the integrated level bubble should be checked to ensure the horizon will be level. Alternatively use the camera level.

Tas
09-22-2021, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the carbon fiber version and it is my go-to tripod now. Very quick to set up and take down and quite stable, especially if you don't use the center column up and skinniest leg section. Even all the way up and center column up is quite stable, especially if you use a delay shooting method.
09-23-2021, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
One reason that I own one is that, at 70, it is difficult for me to use a 1300mm lens without one.
09-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, you don't have to pick up the tripod to rotate it, however the design has enabled a more compact tripod in the stowed position by allowing the head to sit into the legs. To rotate there is a locking ring at the top of the tripod that pins the head in place that you undo. This allows you to pull the head up and clear of the tripod legs to enable panning, rotating titling etc. It doesn't have a separate rotating section like some heads, the panning is using the ball so the integrated level bubble should be checked to ensure the horizon will be level. Alternatively use the camera level.

Tas
Thanks a lot. I thought about it and realized that I could just loosen the ring. The only issue I possibly see is for panoramas. But I Haven’t done any yet.

---------- Post added 09-23-21 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
I have the carbon fiber version and it is my go-to tripod now. Very quick to set up and take down and quite stable, especially if you don't use the center column up and skinniest leg section. Even all the way up and center column up is quite stable, especially if you use a delay shooting method.
That is what I would like to get. But it’s just a little out of my reach. I would have to go for the aluminum version..Am also looking at the Manfroto 190 Go carbon fiber version.. You can never get everything you want in a single package. There are always trade offs.