Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
One reason that I own one is that, at 70, it is difficult for me to use a 1300mm lens without one.
1300mm! That's serious. Definitely makes sense.

09-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Thanks a lot. I thought about it and realized that I could just loosen the ring. The only issue I possibly see is for panoramas. But I Haven’t done any yet.

---------- Post added 09-23-21 at 08:22 AM ----------
For Pano's just keep one of those little arca-swiss pano adapters in your kit. They have an arca-swiss dovetail on the bottom and an arca-swiss clamp at the top, goes inbetween head and camera and allows panning.

This is a cheapie. you can also get ones with set deg stops, just depends how may gold coins you want to part with.

Panoramic Panorama Head for Camera MARKINS Tripod Ball Head Quick Release Plate | eBay
09-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #18
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Thanks a lot. I thought about it and realized that I could just loosen the ring. The only issue I possibly see is for panoramas. But I Haven’t done any yet.
I think there's a couple of ways to go, and there's some relatively inexpensive pano options.

This one or something similar will fit into the Peak Design tripod head and provide a pano option: https://www.adorama.com/bearcasm360.html? If you follow the link they show this mount working with both the Arca mount on the Peak Design travel tripod as well as on Manfrotto heads. There's even a Gear head photo showing it on a Manfrotto. I don't have one myself to talk to stability but it could fit the bill nicely.

There's other small and relatively inexpensive pano options that would fit between the Peak Design locking plate and the camera, something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/927493-REG/velbon_panamatic_panorama_...981& again I've not used this item to know how good it is.

But there's some pano options to consider, and I assume there's more to check out around the internet.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 09-23-2021 at 11:16 PM.
09-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
1300mm! That's serious. Definitely makes sense.
Maneuvering a camera with a lens that long can also be tricky, which is why I use a fluid head (I first used fluid heads on camera tripods when working in TV).

09-27-2021, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I decided to purchase the aluminum version of the Peak Design Travel Tripod. Would of liked the carbon fiber version. But couldn’t justify the extra $300.

Thank You everyone for all the advice and suggestions.
09-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It may be worth having a look at the PF review here: Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I wrote that review and was about to link to it, thanks for beating me to it

Anyone who has questions about it that the review does not answer, I will be happy to share my thoughts.

Long story short, it has become my main tripod, even though I own a slightly lighter Sirui T-025X and a much bigger Oben. I use the Oben only when I want to use its gimbal, otherwise I'm always reaching for the Peak Design.
09-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I wrote that review and was about to link to it, thanks for beating me to it

Anyone who has questions about it that the review does not answer, I will be happy to share my thoughts.

Long story short, it has become my main tripod, even though I own a slightly lighter Sirui T-025X and a much bigger Oben. I use the Oben only when I want to use its gimbal, otherwise I'm always reaching for the Peak Design.
What about the PD makes you use it more than the Sirui?

09-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What about the PD makes you use it more than the Sirui?
Good question. Multiple answers:

-more stable, significantly so (mostly thanks to the absence of an always-extended center column)
-the way the ballhead operates is much quicker, both to lock and to adjust
-the thinner (albeit longer) profile makes it easier to store
-the built-in well phone mount (I've used it for quick Teams/Zoom calls often)
-general operation (reversing the center shaft, extending the legs, etc) is faster

If weight was an absolute requirement, the Sirui still does a great job. And the price is cheaper than the Peak Design, that's for sure. Based on my experience the PD tripod fits in the same "travel" category as the Sirui, while offering the stability of a much larger tripod. That's also backed by tests from other reviewers, such as the fellow phycist at The Center Column who built a measurement setup to confirm this.
09-29-2021, 06:30 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Good question. Multiple answers:

-more stable, significantly so (mostly thanks to the absence of an always-extended center column)
-the way the ballhead operates is much quicker, both to lock and to adjust
-the thinner (albeit longer) profile makes it easier to store
-the built-in well phone mount (I've used it for quick Teams/Zoom calls often)
-general operation (reversing the center shaft, extending the legs, etc) is faster

If weight was an absolute requirement, the Sirui still does a great job. And the price is cheaper than the Peak Design, that's for sure. Based on my experience the PD tripod fits in the same "travel" category as the Sirui, while offering the stability of a much larger tripod. That's also backed by tests from other reviewers, such as the fellow phycist at The Center Column who built a measurement setup to confirm this.
Helpful. My travel pod is the Sirui model you have. I have listed after the PD carbon for a while.
09-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought the PD travel Travel Tripod after I pinched a finger trying to make a fine adjustment with another ball head tripod. I saw the PD video and was intrigued. I almost bought the Aluminum version. But bought the CF one figuring in for a penny, in for a pound. But I can manipulate the locking ring and make minor adjustments one handed without putting a fretting finger at risk.

I’ve never had a need for a heavy duty tripod. The PD travel tripod was a good decision for me.
10-02-2021, 05:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I bought the PD travel Travel Tripod after I pinched a finger trying to make a fine adjustment with another ball head tripod.
I’m having trouble imagining how this happened, but it sounds like the solution worked for you.