Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 530 DG super + K20D

I never really got into flash photography so I don't know much or anything using flash or studio lighting.

mattdm has an excellent site on Pentax flash. There is a lot of information in there and I have to admit, it is too much for me to take in all at once.
Pentax P-TTL Hot Shoe Flash Comparison - a knol by Matthew Miller

On his page he states this:
QuoteQuote:
Sigma's older EF 500 DG models are basically the same with about 10% less power. The older flashes flashes may need to be sent to Sigma for a free firmware upgrade for compatibility with current Pentax camera bodies, and the current Sigma flashes may need the same for future cameras.
I have question on the part that I put in bold. I do not know when he wrote this or when it is updated. But do you need a firmware upgrade for the 530 DG super, for the K20D?
Also what is involved in sending the flash in? Do I have to pay for shipping to them? Do I have to pay for it to be shipped back? Is it shipped to Japan or the United State?

Originally I planned to get the Pentax 540, but I got a really good deal through amazon. The flash is $220, the normal price and I get a 20% off so it brings the price to $180 for the Sigma 530 DG Super.

So is the 530DG super worth $180?

12-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #2

Sigma EF-530 DG Super and K20D

I just purchased the EF-530 DG super last week and it is 100% compatible with my K20D (latest firmware installed).

I had looked at the Pentax flashes and I have the 360 but wanted more power. I had read of several people having quality problems with the Pentax 540 so I decided on the Sigma.

I have not used it for anything serious yet but in testing have found it a lot more powerful that the 360. Wireless functions with the K20D and the K200 and you can also use the Pentax 360 as well in wireless mode. You don't have separate control over the two wireless flashes unless you manually set the intensity on the 360.

You could fire all three flashes if needed. The popup, the 530 DG and the Pentax 360. I can't say when you might need that much light but it is nice to know it will work.

The Sigma 530 comes with it's own off camera stand.

It also comes in models for the N**, C**, and S**Y cameras so make sure you get the Pentax specific model.
12-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I have question on the part that I put in bold. I do not know when he wrote this or when it is updated.
About two weeks ago.

QuoteQuote:
But do you need a firmware upgrade for the 530 DG super, for the K20D?
Not to my knowledge. But the older 500 DG Super didn't work with the K10D when it came out.

QuoteQuote:
Also what is involved in sending the flash in? Do I have to pay for shipping to them? Do I have to pay for it to be shipped back? Is it shipped to Japan or the United State?
I've never done it, but the service center information is here:

Sigma - Ebay Form - Service

You pay shipping to them; I assume they pay shipping back.

QuoteQuote:
Originally I planned to get the Pentax 540, but I got a really good deal through amazon. The flash is $220, the normal price and I get a 20% off so it brings the price to $180 for the Sigma 530 DG Super.

So is the 530DG super worth $180?
"Worth it" is hard to quantify. But that's a good price for an already well-priced flash.
12-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

Don't own K20D but have Sigma 530DG Super on K200D and worth every penny!

12-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks you everyone. I am going to order my K20D along with the 540 super tomorrow.
12-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A little correction here. mattdm says the EF500 DG Super didn't work with the K10D without firmware update. It actually worked, but the wireless mode wasn't synchronized properly. The update just fixed that problem. Everything else worked properly.
12-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
A little correction here. mattdm says the EF500 DG Super didn't work with the K10D without firmware update. It actually worked, but the wireless mode wasn't synchronized properly. The update just fixed that problem. Everything else worked properly.
I'll update that comment — I suppose my definition of "didn't work" was a little broad.

12-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #8

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Which sigma is the best one to get and what is the difference between the
530st and the 530super.
12-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
Which sigma is the best one to get and what is the difference between the
530st and the 530super.
mattdm has a great link with lots of info.
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
The best one will depend on what you need and how much you want to spend. Review his link and you will find the answer.

BTW, I got my K20D along with the 530super flash. Thanks everyone.
12-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a EF-500 DG super that behaves the same, the wireless doesn't work with the *internal* flash of my K20D. If I trigger it with the AF540, I have no problem to get it work wirelessly. I plan to send it to Gentec (Sigma canadian distributor) to upgrade it.

But on my old K10D, for some strange reason, the EF-500 P-TTL is not working with it. I'm still investigating what could cause this problem.

Comparing the Sigma flashes and the Pentax AF540FGZ I also have, I have to say that I see no point in buying Sigma at the current prices, at least in Canada where the 2 flashes are available at about the same price. The Pentax is not only more powerful but it has more features, has a much better user interface and the LCD screen is more helpful. And of course you will not have the same compatibility problem as you can have with Sigma. If Sigma would price it more fairly, let's say 200$, it would become a very nice alternative though.
12-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

ManuH,

Where did you get the Pentax flash at about the same price than the Sigma? L.L. Lozeau (in Montréal, for those from other areas) was asking about twice the price of the Sigma for the Pentax flash. Ditto with my other supplier in St.-Jérome.
12-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ManuH,

Where did you get the Pentax flash at about the same price than the Sigma? L.L. Lozeau (in Montréal, for those from other areas) was asking about twice the price of the Sigma for the Pentax flash. Ditto with my other supplier in St.-Jérome.
I go regularly to LL Lozeau (I live on the same street) but I don't see the price differential. You probably mistake the 530 DG super with the 530 DG ST. The ST is much cheaper but has also much less features (no Wireless, no HSS, no second curtain, limited manual mode, etc.). It's actually a good value if you don't need these features. The DG super is about 300$ new and the AF540 can be had from Prodigital for 340$ incl. shipping. The Pentax is well worth the small difference IMHO.
12-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I go regularly to LL Lozeau (I live on the same street) but I don't see the price differential. You probably mistake the 530 DG super with the 530 DG ST. The ST is much cheaper but has also much less features (no Wireless, no HSS, no second curtain, limited manual mode, etc.). It's actually a good value if you don't need these features. The DG super is about 300$ new and the AF540 can be had from Prodigital for 340$ incl. shipping. The Pentax is well worth the small difference IMHO.
Are you talking about US$ or CND$ there?

The Pentax 540 is selling for about $320 US and the Sigma 530DG Super is selling for about $220 US. That is about $100 difference. I got my Sigma 530DG Super for $180 because I recieved a 20% discount from amazon.
12-13-2008, 03:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I bought the 530 DG Super because it was $150.00 less than the Pentax 540 at L.L. Lozeau. And I know the difference between the two flashes since I also have a 500 DG ST.