Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which trigger voltage have you verified to work?
>30V 522.73%
25V-30V 29.09%
13V-24V 14.55%
7.8V-12V 418.18%
6V-7.8V 522.73%
<6V 1254.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Flash Trigger Voltage Known to Work

The maximum voltage safe to be used on Pentax DSLR's seems to be a bit of a mystery. Various sources quote different voltages and to the best of my knowledge there is no official specification by Pentax.

Please answer the poll by selecting the range which fits a flash you have been using with a post *ist Pentax DSLR. As *ist models may have a different tolerance, I'd like to keep this poll confined to the K series.

It might be useful if you could also post the flash model with its voltage. Once we know what voltages are known to work empirically, preferably reporting long-term usage, the list of Strobe Trigger Voltages will be a lot more useful.

Added to avoid misunderstanding: Please do not understand this data gathering exercise as an invitation to play Russian roulette with your valuable equipment. I only want everyone to benefit from the positive experiences users already made in the past. The more long-term your experience the better, as it has been suggested that too high a voltage may not necessarily immediately harm the camera, but may do so in the long run.

Last edited by Class A; 12-04-2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Avoid the impression that this is a call for Russian roulette
12-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a posting some time ago regarding a Pentax bulletin on acceptable trigger voltages. If I remember correctly, the maximum was quite low.

The title of this thread/poll is "Flash Trigger Voltage Known to Work".

This is not an area for experimentation!!! Failure (does not work) results in fried electronics that may extend far beyond the flash circuit!!!

Safety dictates avoidance of any unit with a trigger voltage greater than units certified as compatible with your camera. That includes that the vast majority of older flashes, even some that were dedicated to previous Pentax cameras.

Steve

P.S. While I have my disagreements with the Rice guy, his blog article on this subject has good information: http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2007/03/which-flash-units-are-safe-for-pentax.html. Of particular interest are some of the comments regarding burnt out cameras...

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.
12-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Steve,

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not an area for experimentation!!!
Tons of people reportedly have used old flashes on their DSLRs without frying them. If you keep within the limits of what has been empirically verified to work then this is not "experimentation" unless you believe that your personal copy is more sensitive than anyone else's.

To clarify, I'm not asking anyone to slap an old flash on their camera and see whether it explodes. I'm just asking all those happy users out there to let us know what has worked for them so that we get a better picture (how apt ) about what voltages are known not to harm the camera.

Safety dictates avoidance of any unit with a trigger voltage greater than units certified as compatible with your camera.
I'd be more than happy to follow your advice if I knew the "units as compatible with your camera". It is the purpose of this poll to narrow down the scope that users have experienced to be safe.

While I have my disagreements with the Rice guy, his blog article on this subject has good information:
Not really. The 7.8V figure is useful but you can get that from the trigger voltage site linked to above. Check the comments left by visitors. As usual Rice High paints a dark picture. I don't believe that the situation is as bad as he describes and I've found a few members reporting to use flashes that well exceed RH's figures.
12-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
...empirically verified...
Sounds like experimentation to me.

QuoteQuote:
...I'd be more than happy to follow your advice if I knew the "units as compatible with your camera"...
I was sort of hoping that someone with a Pentax or Metz might volunteer the voltage from their units. That would give a good notion of what Pentax thinks is appropriate.

QuoteQuote:
...I've found a few members reporting to use flashes that well exceed RH's figures...
I am sure that is true except that there are some flashes that have very high trigger voltages. I have a Vivitar 2600 that dates to the early 1980s that looks and works great. It packs a 140V trigger. Only the good fortune of having read the serious warning in the owner's manual saved me from slipping it onto my Canon G2 when the G2 was new. The warning that came with the Canon was enough to keep me from gathering a little empirical data on the K10D.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-03-2008 at 11:06 PM.
12-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sounds like experimentation to me.
The purpose of this thread was not to encourage or kick-off experimentation. The data sampling already happened. Some may have done it because they were brave, other because they exactly knew what they were doing. Anyhow, the experiment has happened.

I'm sorry if the poll came across as enticing people to try their luck. That wasn't my intention. I only want everyone to know the results of this experiment of the past.

Thanks to everyone who has voted already!

I was sort of hoping that someone with a Pentax or Metz might volunteer the voltage from their units. That would give a good notion of what Pentax thinks is appropriate.
The Pentax users I found reporting their voltages of the 360 and 540 all quoted something below 5V. There are old Pentax flashes, which are supposed to be safe to use as well, which go as high as 7.8V.
12-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I never use my flashes on camera. I have a promaster 5250dx with a pentax module and a Nikon sb24. AFAIK, the cactus v2s trigger will not trigger a flash if the trigger voltage is over 12v.
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I never use my flashes on camera.
I agree off-camera is better but what if you just want to bounce off the ceiling indoors hand held?

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
AFAIK, the cactus v2s trigger will not trigger a flash if the trigger voltage is over 12v.
Yes, the V2s version has a maximum triggering voltage via hot shoe of 12V.

The V2 version works between 12-200V.

12-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree off-camera is better but what if you just want to bounce off the ceiling indoors hand held?
I either use a voice-activated lightstand, or hold the camera in one hand and the flash in the other. Anything to keep the flash off-axis.
12-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a while back there was a thread aboug trigger voltages, in fact many threads

I posted this one, to caution users to use only a digital volt meter when checking flash trigger voltages.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/155756-post11.html

At this point, I would say <6 volts only because that is only slightly higher than the trigger voltage of my AF500FTZ, and I know my AF500FTZ has not hurt anything on either of my DSLRS.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 12-04-2008 at 05:27 PM.
12-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
a while back there was a thread aboug trigger voltages, in fact many threads

I posted this one, to caution users to use only a digital volt meter when checking flash trigger voltages.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/155756-post11.html

At this point, I would say <6 volts only because that is only slightly higher than the trigger voltage of my AF500FTZ, and I know my AF500FTZ has not hurt anything on either of my DSLRS.

I agree that it's desirable to not expose the camera (mine is K10D) to above about 6 volts, this may not be exact, but is wise anyhow. I have an old flash unit that measured between 38 and 45 volts at the base, depending on the type of voltmeter used. That is DEFINITELY hazardous to the camera. So, I bought a Wein Safe Sync device to mount on the camera, and can mount the flash onto it, plus can use a cable to connect to externally located flashes from this same Wein unit.

Olin
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes, the V2s version has a maximum triggering voltage via hot shoe of 12V.

The V2 version works between 12-200V.
I applaud ClassA for running this poll. I don't think information hurts and the discussion generated by this thread is very helpfu, in my opinion. Its odd though that the percentages currently add up to 111%, new math i guess :-)

Someone asked about Metz: My Metz 48 AF-1 measured by me using a digital meter and came out 4.63 to 4.66 volts in several attempts.

I'm just buying a used pentax 280T and understand it runs 7.8 volts. I'll check it when it arrives, for sure.

I use the GI Cactus wireless gear and agree its limited to 12 volts. I read the Cactus V2s equip was issued to deal with Canon limitations.

thanks, Phil
12-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote
I have an old flash unit that measured between 38 and 45 volts at the base, depending on the type of voltmeter used. That is DEFINITELY hazardous to the camera.
You are probably right, but how do you know?
Do you know someone who has fried their camera with such a flash?

Perhaps a better poll than this one would have been to ask who had actually killed their camera with a flash and what kind of flash that was. But not too many would have answered that poll (I hope!).

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I applaud ClassA for running this poll.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its odd though that the percentages currently add up to 111%, new math i guess :-)
I allowed multiple answers per voter since I figured that some have multiple flashes or at least tried multiple flashes.

Last edited by Class A; 12-07-2008 at 07:00 PM.
12-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You are probably right, but how do you know?
Do you know someone who has fried their camera with such a flash?

Perhaps a better poll than this one would have been to ask who had actually killed their camera with a flash and what kind of flash that was. But not too many would have answered that poll (I hope!).

Thanks.

I allowed multiple answers per voter since I figured that some have multiple flashes or at least tried multiple flashes.
Where is this 6v maximum coming from? Monhs ago it was 15 or 20v now it's 6? I've had my vivitar 2500 thyristors for a few months now and they haven't fried my k100d. Both measure in at ~11.89-11.92vdc.
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
Closed Account

I used my Vivitar 283 with 8.5V on a Fuji s602z for 5 years without issue and am now using it on my K20D with no issues and wonderful results.
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Where is this 6v maximum coming from?
I don't think the 6V figure has any significance. Not sure where and why it popped up. Certainly all the new Pentax flashes are below that figure but they are even well below 5V.

Another forum member has used a Vivitar 2500 as well without breaking anything.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I used my Vivitar 283 with 8.5V on a Fuji s602z for 5 years without issue and am now using it on my K20D with no issues and wonderful results.
That's the kind of success story I was hoping to hear.

Very rarely people seem to manage to get an answer from Pentax staff. But when they do, the answer always is reported to be "<30V".

One forum member's K100D survived >200V a number of times, but that should not be taken as proof that it will survive this on a long term basis.