Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #31

Thanks this post is just what I needed!

04-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #32

Great site Matt, thanks for posting!
04-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #33

Matt
Thnks a lot for the info. It is really helpful.
I have question:
Is there any way (or any brand) that can help me in grouping different flashes in wireless mode. Kind of what u have in Nikon CLS system.
Is there any way I can do that while maintaining P-TTL
Thnks in advance
07-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #34

Yep...great comprision Matt....thanks a lot

I've recently switched from a Nikon system to Pentax....so my standards on flash functionality is pretty high

A little frustrated not beeing able to get my Sigma EF-530 DG ST to work properly on my K20D. I't works OK and seems to measure correctly in TTL-mode (P-TTL?) when I'm bouncing the flash and using the wide dispersion panel. When I'm using direct flash in TTL-mode it overexposes terribly with totally blown out pictures. The same regardless of mode on the camera (Green rectangle, P, Av, M...all give the same result). Auto-ISO or fixed ISO doesn't make any difference. It's worst in focal lengths from 50 (70) and upwards ergo when the flash gives the strongest and most focused light, but also occurs to a lesser degree on shorter focal lengths. It's also worst at closer distances. I'm wondering if the flash is blowing away at full effect all the time!!? Different apertures in AV-mode doesn't make any difference (difficult to tell when the pictures are blown-out all the time).

What causes this??? Is the flash faulty in some way? Is it the lens (Sigma EX 18-50/2.8) not communicating properly with the body (don't think so since exposure without flash or with the built-in flash is just fine). Is it the flash that's not able to quench the output quick enough when low outputs (eg close distances) are needed?

It's not a big problem since I very rarely use direct flash...I bounce most of the time...but it would be nice to know that the flash-system (P-TTL) are be able to give correct exposure even when using direct flash in case you wan't to use it sometimes (for example macro shots on insects). And since the Sigma-flashes don't have A-mode (built-in sensor of their own) you're stuck with using TTL (or cumbersom manual output)

All help greatly appreciated! Sorry for the "wobbly" "swenglish" (I'm from Sweden )

Kind regards / Matti

Last edited by The Photo-Vet; 07-23-2009 at 03:46 AM.
07-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Photo-Vet Quote
What causes this??? Is the flash faulty in some way? Is it the lens (Sigma EX 18-50/2.8) not communicating properly with the body (don't think so since exposure without flash or with the built-in flash is just fine).
If exposure is fine with the built-in flash then probably your Sigma flash has a problem. Check that flash compensation is set to 0 on the flash itself, maybe it is set to +1-2 and that causes the overexposure. If you zoom with your lens do you see the focal lenght display changing on the flash and do you also hear the flash head zooming? Also make sure it's really in P-TTL mode and not manual. I don't have Sigma flash, so these are just my general tips.
07-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i searched and couldnt find it - anyone know where to download a pdf manual for the Pentax AF540FGZ flash? i just bought a used one without a manual and i have no idea how to use it!!
thanks
Mike

BTW - i found this page which looks as though i would find such a download, but cannot get any further.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/manuals-and-literature/
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #37
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

This is it you just have to go to Accessories then Accessories Flash then pick the manual.

07-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

This is it you just have to go to Accessories then Accessories Flash then pick the manual.
DAZ,
thanks but that is exactly where i am and cannot find the actual download. i checked the box marked "downloads" and hit submit but that doesnt do anything. seriously, how can i not be getting this??? frustration.
07-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
DAZ,
thanks but that is exactly where i am and cannot find the actual download. i checked the box marked "downloads" and hit submit but that doesnt do anything. seriously, how can i not be getting this??? frustration.
I could download the manual fine. I selected Accessories -> Flashes -> AF540FGZ then checked Manuals and after Submit a Dowload frame was displayed.
Maybe you can open this direct link: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Web_AF540FGZ_Eng.pdf
07-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #40
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but e-mail notification is still not working right for me. Yes I can open the link and read the manual. This would seem to indicate there is some problem your computer. I don’t know if it is the browser, the downloader or with reading a PDF. It could be the PDF reader add-on in your browser. Can you read a PDF that you have already saved to your computer? Do you have access to some other computer you can use? This is a computer problem and there may be other people better at troubleshooting what the problem is.

DAZ
07-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I could download the manual fine. I selected Accessories -> Flashes -> AF540FGZ then checked Manuals and after Submit a Dowload frame was displayed.
Maybe you can open this direct link: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Web_AF540FGZ_Eng.pdf
thanks for the direct link - that opened just fine!

oddly, from the selection page, the "submit" button would not open anything. I disabled my pop-up blocker but still couldn't get it to work. My computer displays (and creates) .pdf's just fine...hmm, no worries, i am set now. thanks all!!
07-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
thanks for the direct link - that opened just fine!

oddly, from the selection page, the "submit" button would not open anything. I disabled my pop-up blocker but still couldn't get it to work. My computer displays (and creates) .pdf's just fine...hmm, no worries, i am set now. thanks all!!
You must be a Firefox user, pentaximaging has issues with firefox, that same button works fine under IE and Google Chrome.
08-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
It will work with the built-in flash. The trick is that this was added with firmware 1.10. Since the original out-of-box firmware can't do it, the manual is out-of-date.

I should probably put that in the guide, although that section is getting large.

I'm not aware of one. There was an AF500FTZ.....

does anyone know if the AF500FTZ works with the K200D. I have someone offer to sell one to me. Thanks!
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ccat Quote
does anyone know if the AF500FTZ works with the K200D. I have someone offer to sell one to me. Thanks!
It'll work, but no TTL or PTTL.
11-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Photo-Vet Quote
Yep...great comprision Matt....thanks a lot

I've recently switched from a Nikon system to Pentax....so my standards on flash functionality is pretty high

A little frustrated not beeing able to get my Sigma EF-530 DG ST to work properly on my K20D. I't works OK and seems to measure correctly in TTL-mode (P-TTL?) when I'm bouncing the flash and using the wide dispersion panel. When I'm using direct flash in TTL-mode it overexposes terribly with totally blown out pictures. The same regardless of mode on the camera (Green rectangle, P, Av, M...all give the same result). Auto-ISO or fixed ISO doesn't make any difference. It's worst in focal lengths from 50 (70) and upwards ergo when the flash gives the strongest and most focused light, but also occurs to a lesser degree on shorter focal lengths. It's also worst at closer distances. I'm wondering if the flash is blowing away at full effect all the time!!? Different apertures in AV-mode doesn't make any difference (difficult to tell when the pictures are blown-out all the time).

What causes this??? Is the flash faulty in some way? Is it the lens (Sigma EX 18-50/2.8) not communicating properly with the body (don't think so since exposure without flash or with the built-in flash is just fine). Is it the flash that's not able to quench the output quick enough when low outputs (eg close distances) are needed?

It's not a big problem since I very rarely use direct flash...I bounce most of the time...but it would be nice to know that the flash-system (P-TTL) are be able to give correct exposure even when using direct flash in case you wan't to use it sometimes (for example macro shots on insects). And since the Sigma-flashes don't have A-mode (built-in sensor of their own) you're stuck with using TTL (or cumbersom manual output)

All help greatly appreciated! Sorry for the "wobbly" "swenglish" (I'm from Sweden )

Kind regards / Matti
I wanted to bump this because Ive been having the same problem with my Sigma 530 Super overblowing in close shots in PTTL (wireless or on cam). To add, it can't seem to get down to a low enough power for f2 or lower shots. It'll behave at f3.5 or higher from 2 ft back or further. I figure maybe the flash is too powerful and can't power down to that. You can definitely BOUNCE it and get a properly exposed f2 or f1.4 shot but dont go direct barebulb or small softbox (eg, Lumiquest Softbox III)