Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Mine does not have a USB port but works quite well with my K-x & K-r. I got it as a "Bell & Howell" branded model from my children as a Father's day gift. So far, so good. It is listed as a "Bell & Howell Z680AF-P Camera Flash with LCD for Pentax (Black)". Given that I am just getting back into SLR photography after 20+ years of P&S it's fine for me now. it works as a slave off camera and the onboard flash triggers it nicely. Its illuminator works well even in complete darkness to get a solid AF lock. Can't test the output to see if its close to its claimed strength but that is less of a concern for me. Mine has the squarish illuminator not the oval shaped one. Overall, nice way to get back into using flash for <$100.
Are you sure this is the DPT586AFZ? I expect that to be closer to $200. And I see Bell & Howell has been selling a model with that name for a while. (Definitely since before the Pentax version of the DPT586AFZ was available.) Can you confirm that the off-camera slave is actually wireless P-TTL and not just standard slave?

06-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Are you sure this is the DPT586AFZ? I expect that to be closer to $200. And I see Bell & Howell has been selling a model with that name for a while. (Definitely since before the Pentax version of the DPT586AFZ was available.) Can you confirm that the off-camera slave is actually wireless P-TTL and not just standard slave?
I've compared it to the photos on Tumax's website and their specs. Seems identical to me. I'll check the P-TTL part but I believe it is, but will double check.
06-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've compared it to the photos on Tumax's website and their specs. Seems identical to me. I'll check the P-TTL part but I believe it is, but will double check.
From the specs and pictures I can find online, I think it's actually this model
Digital TTL Power Zoom Flash — DPT383AFZ / DPT386AFZ / DPT388AFZ
which has been out for a while, and which you can definitely find in non-K-r-compatible versions.

I notice they list the reprogram socket there too, but older DPT383AFZ models don't have that. Interesting (and another example of incremental change to the same model number without any indication of when).

Last edited by mattdm; 06-25-2011 at 08:09 AM.
06-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #124
Veteran Member

From the specs and pictures I can find online, I think it's actually this model
Welcome to TUMAX
which has been out for a while, and which you can definitely find in non-K-r-compatible versions.

I notice they list the reprogram socket there too, but older DPT383AFZ models don't have that. Interesting (and another example of incremental change to the same model number without any indication of when).

Nope. Mine definitely has the row of four buttons for Mode-ISO-FD/STOP-Sound and has 3 settings under Slave Mode not 2. Sorry for the quick shot's poor quality.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
06-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope. Mine definitely has the row of four buttons for Mode-ISO-FD/STOP-Sound and has 3 settings under Slave Mode not 2. Sorry for the quick shot's poor quality.
The four buttons match the DPT386AFZ more than the DPT586AFZ, and I think the LCD screen is a dead giveaway. The comparison images are small, but yours is closer to

than to

The three-position switch is different from either. Looks like yours has settings for Slave, rear-curtain sync, and first-curtain sync.
06-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #126
Veteran Member

The four buttons match the DPT386AFZ more than the DPT586AFZ, and I think the LCD screen is a dead giveaway. The comparison images are small, but yours is closer to

than to

The three-position switch is different from either. Looks like yours has settings for Slave, rear-curtain sync, and first-curtain sync.
Looks like its a weird model but does look closer to the 386. Those are in fact the 3 settings. Thanks for setting me straight.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-25-2011 at 08:18 AM.
06-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like its a weird model but does look closer to the 386. Those are in fact the 3 settings. Thanks for setting me straight.
Yeah, I think it's complicated — I think the Tumax models are basically "here's the kind of thing we're making these days", and when companies like whoever owns that aspect of the Bell and Howell brand come to them for a flash, there's some flexibility in the result. (I'm not completely convinced that Icorp doesn't make the low-end Metz models for them — Metz says the similarity is superficial and that they are "equipped with a special electronic technology which has been developed by Metz in Germany" — but interpreted generously that could mean a lot of things.)

Sadly, this makes the shopping situation worse, since it's really hard to figure out exactly what "generic" flash supports what cameras and has what features.

06-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #128
Veteran Member

@Docrwm - Thanks for posting the Bell & Howell Z680AF-P review. I've been looking at this particular flash and wondering about its features. The specifications listed on the review page indicates it has HSS, could you confirm that it does?
06-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
@Docrwm - Thanks for posting the Bell & Howell Z680AF-P review. I've been looking at this particular flash and wondering about its features. The specifications listed on the review page indicates it has HSS, could you confirm that it does?
I've got it syncing at 1/180 but not higher. Isn't 1/60 the old standard (I've been out of SLRs for 20+ years and this is my first foray back into off-camera flash since then - sorry).
06-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I believe 1/180 is the standard. If it won't allow you to set it any higher then the Z680 may not have HSS capabilities. Thank you for trying.
06-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I believe 1/180 is the standard. If it won't allow you to set it any higher then the Z680 may not have HSS capabilities. Thank you for trying.
Thanks, as I said - new to dSLR off-camera flash. I can not get the camera to go higher than 1/180th but will try again next time I use it.
08-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #132

Thanks it's very helpful
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #133
Inactive Account

what do you think about sigma ef 500 dg st?
11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zligri Quote
what do you think about sigma ef 500 dg st?
The ST models are inexpensive and well made but very limited in capabilities (no HSS, no off-camera capability). The Supers are much more versatile for only a little more money.
12-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #135

Thanks for the help!