Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
Government Computer. God knows why some sites are blocked. Sometimes bandwidth, sometimes file sharing capability, sometimes....who knows. Thanks for your help.

01-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #62

k-x flash

Hello, I am new to the forum, recently got k-x, and was looking for inexpencive p-ttl flash noticed ProMaster 5750DX same as Quantaray QTB-9550D; does anyone know if it will work with K-x, and also the base is there Comp model from Quantaray for ProMaster 5050DXR?
01-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ishchupak: check out this older thread about Quantaray-rebranded Promaster flashes on Pentax. From that, my understanding is that the flash will work with P-TTL with the Promaster 5050DXF module.

I haven't actually heard verification that the module works with the K-x; at least one other Promaster flash has trouble with the K-7.
01-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
As I'm sure has been apparent from all my recent messages, I'm working on a very thorough comparison of all of the available P-TTL hotshoe-mount flashes for Pentax dSLRs.

So, while I think I'll still maintain the Knol site in some fashion (not sure exactly how -- maybe as a truncated version), I've moved instead to my own site:

Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide.

<Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide>

Let me know what you think, and if you happen to notice any errors or anything lost in translation between the Google-based site and this one please alert me. (And to any other errors as well, of course.)
!
Matt - thanks for your effort, very useful blog ! Do you plan to include the Rokinon or Bower models of the Tumax units ?

Alan

01-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #65
Veteran Member

After you have picked out your flash ...

... You might want to check out Steve Jacob's flash usage guide. It helps explain the ways P-TTL works in the different modes of the camera. Flash Modes for Pentax Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob

Thank you
Russell
01-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
... You might want to check out Steve Jacob's flash usage guide. It helps explain the ways P-TTL works in the different modes of the camera. Flash Modes for Pentax Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob

Thank you
Russell
Russell, thanks for the link. Lots of useful information there. I did notice in this slide, Steve Jacob got the Guide Number of the AF540 mixed up. He indicated that it is 54 feet @ISO100. It should be 54 meter @ISO100 (or 178 feet @ISO100)

Slide7.JPG photo - Steve Jacob photos at pbase.com

AF540FGZ - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #67
Inactive Account

I am afraid that there's something missing from your site, or I am not able to find it: it seems that the Metz 48 AF-1 Digital cannot be used in manual mode when it is off camera (wireless). It can only be used in P-TTL mode. Not even the Metz manual mentions this, but I just bought this unit and after spending the whole afternoon trying to get it to work in manual wireless, I found this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/49189-af360fgz-...entax-won.html
where user jerrrymouse says that and I think he is right.

What do you think? Is there a way to use manual mode in wireless?
Thanks,
Dan

01-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
I am afraid that there's something missing from your site, or I am not able to find it: it seems that the Metz 48 AF-1 Digital cannot be used in manual mode when it is off camera (wireless). It can only be used in P-TTL mode. Not even the Metz manual mentions this, but I just bought this unit and after spending the whole afternoon trying to get it to work in manual wireless, I found this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/49189-af360fgz-...entax-won.html
where user jerrrymouse says that and I think he is right.

What do you think? Is there a way to use manual mode in wireless?
I'm not aware of one. On my "todo" list is an item "add section for non-pttl wireless modes". The Sigma "Super" model, the Promaster 7500EDF, and the Tumax generic can all do a "dumb slave" mode, but only when controlled by a non-pttl flash -- the preflash sets them off. (Same as Pentax's helpfully named "Slave 2" mode.)

My understanding (see this thread) is that the Pentax flashes, when set to Slave 1, can work in manual mode with digital pre-flash flashes; however, the flash manuals don't actually explain that. It's so confusing that no matter how many times someone explains it to me I'm just going to need to get some time (and a borrowed Pentax flash) to experiment.

(Edit: not that I don't trust Russell-Evans, by the way. I just have gotta play with it because the Pentax documentation is so poor.)

Last edited by mattdm; 01-26-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Clarification.
01-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #69
Inactive Account

Matt, thanks a lot for the answer. This is quite depressing because as I understand from other threads, using the EV compensation to control flash output in wireless actually doesn't work.

Last edited by dnmtsn`; 01-27-2010 at 03:03 AM.
01-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Matt, thanks a lot for the answer. As I understand you own the Metz 48; could you share some thoughts on what would be the difference between a "true" manual mode in wireless and EV compensation
There really isn't a comparison. If you want complete control, the only way to get it is in manual.

For me, all optical wireless is going to have limitations on distance in some conditions, so I'm going to have a set of radio triggers anyway, whether the flash is a Pentax or not. If I have the triggers, and the flash let's me turn off the auto power off feature like the Metz 48 AF-1 does, I don't have any issue with using the Metz AF-1 with the radio trigger to get manual control and wireless.

The Pentax 360FGZ doesn't let you turn off its auto power feature, so the choice with it and the Metz 48 AF-1 is between being able to use the flash in manual with optical wireless versus being able to use the flash in manual with radio triggers. I personally will go for the more flexible system of the Metz 48 AF-1 and radio triggers over the 360.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-27-2010 at 08:29 PM.
01-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Matt, thanks a lot for the answer. This is quite depressing because as I understand from other threads, using the EV compensation to control flash output in wireless actually doesn't work.
In what sense do you mean it doesn't work? You can certainly use flash EV compensation in wireless mode.
02-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #72
Veteran Member

It'll work, but no TTL or PTTL.
Matt,
Can I pick your knowledge base please?, I am trying to understand if the Metz 48 will work as a remote with out the K10d built in flash going off?
and
again off camera can the Metz 48 be set to not emit the preflash so it can trigger other light triggered flash units, ?
thanks Alistair
02-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Matt,
Can I pick your knowledge base please?, I am trying to understand if the Metz 48 will work as a remote with out the K10d built in flash going off?
No. The wireless optical protocol requires a control flash. However, it can be set so that the amount of light the control flash provides is so small that it doesn't affect the exposure.

and again off camera can the Metz 48 be set to not emit the preflash so it can trigger other light triggered flash units, ?
thanks Alistair
If you put it on all manual, no preflash. But if that's your primary use, probably better to buy a cheaper non-PTTL flash in the first place.
02-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #74
Veteran Member

No. The wireless optical protocol requires a control flash. However, it can be set so that the amount of light the control flash provides is so small that it doesn't affect the exposure.
thanks Matt, does the above apply to the pentax flash units as well?
Alistair
02-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Matt, does the above apply to the pentax flash units as well?
Alistair
Yep; that's the design.