Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
I'm in Av mode, with no flash attached, and my exposure is ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/120s. If I adjust EV on my camera (not FEC) by -1, the camera will change the exposure from ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/120s to ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/60s. Right?
Yes. (Not just in theory, I tested it with the K-S2 to be sure!)
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
I'm in Av mode, with the FlashPoint Mini Zoom attached in TTL mode, and my exposure is ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/120s. If I adjust EV on my camera (not FEC) by -1, the camera exposure will stay at ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/120s, but the flash will reduce its output by 50%. Right?
I tried this (K-S2 in Av mode with fixed ISO, TT350P in the hotshoe in PTTL mode) and that's how it worked. I tried 0EV, -1EV and -2EV (on the camera's exposure setting only, not FEC). The camera did not change the shutter speed, just the flash output.

I should add that the reduction in flash output between 0EV and -2EV didn't look to me like 2 stops. (That is just a subjective impression, not metered.) Maybe that's a quirk of the metering - Steve might have a better explanation. Anyway, when I tried again adjusting only the FEC on the flash instead, not the exposure setting on the camera, the reduction in output from 0EV to -1EV to -2EV was more marked - it looked like 1 stop and 2 stops respectively. My take home point is that adjusting FEC rather than camera's exposure adjustment seems to give more predictable and accurate results. Which would matter in product photography or shooting a wedding.

Last edited by Des; 11-09-2021 at 03:02 PM.
11-20-2021, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Okay, I want to make one clarification. The Adorama Flashpoint Zoom Mini-Flash (TT350P) is not FULL P-TTL compatible. Where it differs is in wireless P-TTL support of multiple flashes. Pentax flashes use IR embedded in the flash output to pass instructions to other flashes. The Flashpoint flashes use RF to pass similar information to other flashes. What this means is you cannot mix & match just any P-TTL flash that claims wireless control of other P-TTL flashes.

I love my Pentax 540 flash. But all too often I only have room when I travel for one flash of this size. I can use my 540 off-camera and control it with my K-3's pop-up flash. No such luck on the K-1 or K-3 II or III as none of these bodies have the Pentax pop-up flash. And Pentax does not make a very small hot-shoe flash to fill the function of the missing pop-up flash. In fact, no one makes a small flash compatible with Pentax's IR-based technology that can work as a master from the hot-shoe. I've been complaining about this in these Forums for nearly a year.

Adorama recently put the Zoom Mini-Flash on sale for one day at US$49. Cheap enough that I purchased two of these RF controlled flashes. And both flashes fit in my K-1 kit in the space occupied by my 540. I can now have wireless P-TTL control of an off-camera flash on my K-1 when I have limited gear space. It is not the solution I really want as the Guide Number on these mini-flashes is a lot smaller than my 540. But it does move me in a desired direction without spending a fortune.