Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can I use my flash with the Pentax MX?

Hi,
I will be shooting an event soon, and I thought about having some film pictures as well. I wondered whether I could use my 360 GFZ flash on my Pentax MX, as it would help a lot in the dim-lit hall. Is it possible, any ideas how to accomplish it?
Thanks for your replies,
J

11-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The AF360FGZ will work on the MX, but it will be all manual. Focus, read distance on lens, set aperture according to film ISO - somewhat fiddly but that is the way the MX rolls.

If you can get a film era AF280T or AF400T you will have thyristor auto exposure, within limits imposed by distance and ISO.
11-16-2021, 02:00 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Is it possible, any ideas how to accomplish it?
Put your AF360FGZ on the camera's hot shoe, turn it on and set it to M mode. Set the camera's shutter speed to "X" or any exposure time from 1/60s to 1s. Your flash supports six power levels and the aperture setting depends on the distance to the subject and the power level chosen, flash zoom setting and the film's ISO/ASA speed. There is a guide on the flash display and also a table on pages 72ff of the AF360FGZ flash manual.

In addition to M mode, you also have the option of "Auto" flash using a sensor on the flash itself. The feature is explained on pages 25ff in the manual. Auto is probably the easiest route to good flash exposure with your MX, but not as flexible as M mode.

For free download of the AF360FGZ manual is available from the Ricoh Japan's Web site download area:

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

scroll down to and expand the section on Accessories.

Steve
11-16-2021, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
If you can get a film era AF280T or AF400T you will have thyristor auto exposure, within limits imposed by distance and ISO.
Auto-thyristor flash is also available on the AF360FGZ. The excellent backward compatibility of both it and the AF540FGZ provides full backwards compatibility* to all hot shoe Pentax bodies back to the Spotmatic II.

Steve

* Within the shared features of camera and flash.

11-16-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The AF360FGZ will work on the MX, but it will be all manual. Focus, read distance on lens, set aperture according to film ISO - somewhat fiddly but that is the way the MX rolls.

Auto thyrister mode also works on the original 360 and 540 but not the version II of these. The auto flash mode in the 280 or 400 is similarly implemented in the 360/540 version 1.