Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AF360FGZ Optical Slave Mode

I have a K5 and an AF360FGZ flash.

I would like to use the flash off-camera, using its builtin optical slave mode, but I can't get it to work.

I found the section in the user's guide (pg. 49), that explains how to setup slave mode.

First it says to "slide the setting switch up". The press and hold the "Light" switch for 2 seconds. The LCD will display the slave mode, 1 or 2.

From my reading of the manual, slave mode 1 is when the flash is being controlled by another flash, such as another AF540FGZ, that is capable of acting as a wireless controller. Mode 2 is for a simple optical slave.

Or, am I wrong. Will the AF360FGZ only act as a slave to another P-TTL flash? Does slave mode 2 fire the AF360FGZ after on the second flash of the P-TTL cycle, skipping the pre-flash? I am trying to trigger it with a stand-mounted studio flash that is, itself triggered by a poverty wizard, radio controller. Obviously, the studio flash is not P-TTL capable.

What am I doing wrong?

11-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Which flash mode do you have the camera set to?

You may find the tutorial linked below helpful. Good luck.

11-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick response.

I was approaching the problem from the wrong direction. That video from Gary Fong helped a lot.

In addition to the AF360, I have a Yongnuo YN-560, an inexpensive non-pttl flash. These are my two battery-operated flashes. My goal is to get away from being tethered to a wall outlet.

The Yongnuo flash has two optical slave modes. One mode is traditional slave mode: it sees a flash and it fires. The other mode is designed for modern pttl, ittl or ettl flashes. In this mode, it ignore the first flash that it sees and fires on the second flash.

I duplicated Mr. Fong's demonstration of pointing the two flashes on either side of an object, basically pointing at each other. The AF360 was at 9:00 o'clock, the Yongnuo was at 3:00, and I with the K5 was at 6:00. As he showed, I set the onboard flash to not contribute to the exposure. When I took the picture, in a darkened room, the object was harshly lit from both sides, but mostly shadow in the front, indicating that the onboard flash played no part in the exposure.

I think I will give up on the radio setup and let the AF360 do the work. This seems to have solved my problem.

I still am not sure if the AF360 can function as a simple optical slave, in the absence of a pttl capable camera.

Thanks again.

Last edited by noblepa; 11-19-2021 at 09:30 PM.
11-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Not sure if this is what you want.

I use my 360 on camera to trigger my YN in PTTl.

I have used my 360 as slave to nikon sb28 but it is hit and miss.

11-19-2021, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
From my reading of the manual, slave mode 1 is when the flash is being controlled by another flash, such as another AF540FGZ, that is capable of acting as a wireless controller. Mode 2 is for a simple optical slave.
Slave mode 1 means it can operate as a P-TTL flash, triggered optically by either another Pentax flash unit or by a camera's pop-up flash (most Pentax DSLR's)

Slave mode 2 is also known as "dumb" slave mode. It can be triggered optically by any other flash unit, but can not operate in P-TTL mode only Manual. It simply fires its flash when it sees another flash fire. One downside of this mode is that the triggering flash cannot be in P-TTL mode or the slave will simply fire on the Pre-flash
11-19-2021, 10:58 PM   #6
Closed Account

Thanks for your quick response.
Most welcome.
That video from Gary Fong helped a lot.
Although it didn't solve your immediate issue, I'm glad you found it helpful.

Again, good luck with finding a solution to the problem.
11-20-2021, 12:55 AM   #7
Closed Account

After rereading the relevant posts above, and conferring with both the PDF and the paper manual for the AF360FGZ, I think there may be a little confusion as to Slave 1 & Slave 2 functionality. The PDF is lacking the information that both settings read as camera compatibility modes only, and not as being either a wireless trigger or an optical trigger in nature. According to the paper manual, Slave 1 is to be used for * ist, MZ-S or MZ-L/MZ-6/ZX-L and Slave 2 for all other cameras, as this is compensation for any pre-flash issues, but in both cases, a camera (when set to the correct mode) is used to trigger the flash.

I have 2 360's, and tried in vain with multiple different settings to get 1 to fire the other without having my camera in the equation.

11-20-2021, 01:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
According to the paper manual, Slave 1 is to be used for * ist, MZ-S or MZ-L/MZ-6/ZX-L and Slave 2 for all other cameras
Worth noting the manual was written in 2003. My experience with using this flash with any Pentax DSLR is that Slave 1 should always be used, unless you want the "dumb" slave mode 2.
11-20-2021, 02:45 AM   #9
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Worth noting the manual was written in 2003. My experience with using this flash with any Pentax DSLR is that Slave 1 should always be used, unless you want the "dumb" slave mode 2.
Just to be clear, we are both referring to the first generation AF360FGZ, and not the newer AF360FGZ II, as I cannot trigger my first gen with another flash without it being on the camera. From what I interpret you to mean by "dumb" slave mode, I read that as any external flash going off will optically trigger the "dumb" slave mode AF360FGZ if it is in the line of sight, and not be triggered by a camera being set to either Master (camera's flash included in the image) or Controller (flash fires, but not added to image).

As I understand it, when not using external triggers, a Pentax wireless compatible flash can only be triggered by a correctly set Pentax camera in wireless flash mode, by using the either in-built flash or a correctly set hot-shoe mounted wireless compatible flash.

Edit
I may have misunderstood your meaning/interpretation of a "dumb" slave flash. If you are able to fire an AF360FGZ independently off-camera as a slave by using another flash only, and not the camera as a trigger, I would be very appreciative of your settings.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 11-20-2021 at 03:28 AM.
11-20-2021, 03:32 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to be clear, we are both referring to the first generation AF360FGZ, and not the newer AF360FGZ II
Correct, I am referring to the original.

as I cannot trigger my first gen with another flash without it being on the camera. From what I interpret you to mean by "dumb" slave mode, I read that as any external flash going off will optically trigger the "dumb" slave mode AF360FGZ if it is in the line of sight
Indeed that is what I meant. I will need to check it now as you have me doubting my memory ! It is a while since I used Mode 2

and not be triggered by a camera being set to either Master (camera's flash included in the image) or Controller (flash fires, but not added to image).
My understanding is it will be triggered (early) by the trigger flash in either Master or Controller, because it gets triggered on the pre-flash. It then wont fire on the main flash.

As I understand it, when not using external triggers, a Pentax wireless compatible flash can only be triggered by a correctly set Pentax camera in wireless flash mode, by using the in-built flash or a correctly set external hot-shoe mounted compatible flash.
I will do some testing and report back
11-20-2021, 03:43 AM   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I will do some testing and report back
Many thanks, Peter, looking forward it.
11-20-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks, Peter, looking forward it.
OK , I think I have the answer. I used Pentax K1 with AF540FGZ II on the camera. The AF360FGZ (version I) was off the camera.

AF360 set to Slave 1

P-TTL works normally with both flashes contributing to exposure (or just AF360 contributing if the AF540 is set to Controller)

AF360 set to Slave 2

Only options available on the AF360 in SL 2 mode are Manual and Auto (thyristor)

With the AF540 set to P-TTL the AF360 fires on the pre-flash (dumb reaction) so does not contribute to the actual exposure.

With the AF540 set to Manual mode (Manual mode required on camera too) the AF360 fires correctly in both Manual and Auto (thyristor) modes , contributing to the exposure.

I also put my Cactus RF60X on the K1. In Manual Flash mode it also correctly triggered the AF360 (in SL2). Even removing the Cactus from the hot shoe and pressing the test button caused the AF360 to fire.

Hope this helps.

ps. when using the AF360FGZ as a slave in either mode 1 or 2 you need to have the on/off switch set to wireless and the M/C/S switch set to S

---------- Post added 11-20-21 at 12:33 PM ----------

I still am not sure if the AF360 can function as a simple optical slave, in the absence of a pttl capable camera.
Yes. Slave mode 2 on the AF360.....on/off switch set to wireless and the M/C/S switch set to S. Your triggering flash must be a single burst (no pre-flash), and you must have line-of-sight between the two units.
11-20-2021, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Closed Account

I have just tested again with Slave 2, and I can get one flash to fire the other off-camera. It seems one of my flashes is a little faulty, so when I swapped which one was the sender with the other, the receiver flash fired..........Thanks, Pete.

Edit - I tried my Sigma530 handheld with the test button, and it fires the 360 too......

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 11-20-2021 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typo
11-20-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Pete.
You are very welcome. I had to actually test them again to ensure I was not telling fibs because it is a long time since I used optical triggering.

I went down the radio trigger route a number of years back with Cactus triggers. These give me more options, but nothing wrong with optical.
11-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the AF360FGZ only act as a slave to another P-TTL flash?
The on-board flash for the K-5 is unable to act as master/controller. Control of your AF360FGZ requires a second unit on the K-5 hot shoe to act as master/controller. Edit: My error \Edit

Yes, it can function as a fully-manual* optical slave, but without a P-TTL camera, the answer is no access to that feature.

Steve

* I am not sure, but it may also support auto mode too as a simple optical slave.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-20-2021 at 09:09 PM.