Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Minimum setup advice

We have a newborn coming in march. As one could expect, especially from folk on here, lots of pictures coming in the spring lol. That being said, I don't have ANY flash equipment.

What I currently have:
1-2 (not sure if both are still functional) LED continuous lights (non-dimmable, cheap) with umbrellas and diffuser
K1MkII + various lenses (likely will be using the SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 lens)

I have no dreams of becoming a professional baby/anything photographer, but definitely would like something I could set up quickly at the house should the itch happen, which will be a lot lol.

Budget concerns in play too. Whatever flash it is, will have to be off-camera and triggerable via controller. I'm trying to get away spending as little as possible without buying something that'll fall apart in a day lol. I've seen Godox/Flashpoint mentioned a lot with some debate on the round vs rectangle heads, but that's all i've dug up so far.

Thanks in advance.

12-06-2021, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I would go with the continuous lights you have and umbrella/diffuser arrangements. Flash can be injurious (particularly to infants) under certain circumstances and should be avoided close-up. They can also be harsh and I think photos using diffused light could be more pleasing. Your K1 should be more than capable of lower light use, and should work really well with a little assistance from your LED lighting if its positioned properly. Continuous lighting also has the advantage of allowing you to better visualize the shot whereas you don't really know what a flash shot will do until after the shot, which might result in your missing some good ones. Don't be afraid of shooting at higher ISOs (800-1600) with this camera, as it will do a pretty good job in terms of noise and rendering even at those higher ISO values. A lot of times, ambient lighting is better than artificial lighting anyway, and you should be able to get some great shots with just what you have.

Last edited by Bob 256; 12-06-2021 at 09:06 AM.
12-06-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Personally, I would go with the continuous lights you have and umbrella/diffuser arrangements. Flash can be injurious (particularly to infants) under certain circumstances and should be avoided close-up. They can also be harsh and I think photos using diffused light could be more pleasing. Your K1 should be more than capable of lower light use, and should work really well with a little assistance from your LED lighting if its positioned properly. Continuous lighting also has the advantage of allowing you to better visualize the shot whereas you don't really know what a flash shot will do until after the shot, which might result in your missing some good ones. Don't be afraid of shooting at higher ISOs (800-1600) with this camera, as it will do a pretty good job in terms of noise and rendering even at those higher ISO values. A lot of times, ambient lighting is better than artificial lighting anyway, and you should be able to get some great shots with just what you have.
Thx! The ISO mindset is a hard one to shake, especially coming from astrophotography and nikon d5500 aps-c. Anything > 1600 on that started getting noisy
12-06-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Continuous lights are best for infants. They don’t scare them

12-06-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Led lighting can have poor color rendition. Do you know if these are high CRI?

Don’t let these prices scare you. The video is from 2015! A lot has changed in terms of cost and availability this is just to illustrate the cri factor.

https://www.diyphotography.net/35984-2/
12-06-2021, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I might suggest getting an AF-360 FGZ, and maybe some Cactus triggers.
Both would have to be purchased used.

I really like outdoor portraits while using wider apertures, so it's nice to access high-speed sync options on the AF360FGZ.
12-06-2021, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might choose to spend the time collecting/making a few props and backdrops, unless you want to shoot with what you already have. Getting this done now seems wise as soon the concept of spare time will disappear for 20 years plus ...

12-06-2021, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
You might choose to spend the time collecting/making a few props and backdrops, unless you want to shoot with what you already have. Getting this done now seems wise as soon the concept of spare time will disappear for 20 years plus ...
Lol. Indeed.
12-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
That we have a lot of although will probably get more anyway. I've already been eyeballing a few. Spare time = facts lol

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Led lighting can have poor color rendition. Do you know if these are high CRI?

Don’t let these prices scare you. The video is from 2015! A lot has changed in terms of cost and availability this is just to illustrate the cri factor.

https://www.diyphotography.net/35984-2/
I'd have to look. They're pretty cheap. Can white balancing (in LR for example) clean CRI issues?

Also, there's this comment on that video... accuracy of statement??
Important article but it is very important to note, that CRI assumes that the standard observer is perceiving light. For a digital camera that has spectral sensitivity curves different than the standard observer CRI has litte to no meaning
12-06-2021, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not so experienced with flashes, I too need to get one... but I just wanna wish you all the best! May the force be with your baby!!!

Relax, you can PP if WB gets a little off...
Soft lights in a distance are preferred by professionals who photograph babies. A nice careful set up and you will have your album material...
12-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I am not so experienced with flashes, I too need to get one... but I just wanna wish you all the best! May the force be with your baby!!!

Relax, you can PP if WB gets a little off...
Soft lights in a distance are preferred by professionals who photograph babies. A nice careful set up and you will have your album material...
Thx!!

I think the photo spot is going to be on our dining room table lol. There's 3 huge windows there and all sorts of natural light. honestly could probably get away with 1 softbox and bounce + that lighting.

Looks like continuous will be the way to go. now to decide if i want to upgrade to dimmable ones. i know these things i have are raggedy lol.
12-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a lot of experience with flash setups, but newborns I do have some little experience of. You'll be knackered and won't have half the time you hope you will. Work out some simple shooting strategy that lets you record the memories easily and make sure you back up the photos properly. Your missus will annihilate you if she can't find the photos in a few years because oops, something went wrong.

I speak from experience...
12-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welp, looks like i was wrong... they're fluorescent, not led lol

It's a kit kinda like this
https://www.amazon.com/Linco-Lincostore-Photo-Lighting-Studio/dp/B01NAPP3OJ/...ronics&sr=1-44
12-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Whatever lighting you use should be soft. So diffusers and reflectors, or at least bounce flash.Continuous lighting does seem the gentler option though.

Good luck with the impending arrival.
12-06-2021, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Because budget is a concern, I, like a lot of people, are suggesting continuous lights/hot lights. Well, I am going to go one step farther.

Go to wally world, home depot, lowes or your favorite hardware store and get a couple of clip on lamps with a reflector. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-8-1-2-in-150-Watt-Aluminum-Incandescent-Ligh...7894/202847393 Found in either electrical or tools. Then hit the lightbulb isle and pick up some CPF or Led lightbulbs that are 5600 K. Take them home and clip them onto the back of the dining room chairs and bounce the light off the ceiling or the wall behind you.

You can also get some form core white boards and bounce the light off of them. To do that, you will need a backdrop and reflector holder which sits onto a light stand. https://www.adorama.com/fpxcp200.html?

Hopes this helps. Links are for example only.