Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #1

Pentax 645 and Studio strobes

Hi all,
I wanted to ask you if any of you have experience with using the Pentax 645 in a studio setup, using more than 3 strobes of the same brand (call it Godox, Elinchrom or Profoto)
Do I need to buy any sort of hot shoe adaptor for it? Or a Sync cord? I'm not familiar at all with the Pentax 645 mechanism, and I'm about to purchase one.
Thanks a lot!

01-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many trigger devices (simple ones like the older PocketWizard 3) can work with these. I haven't tested whether the Godox XPro P would work partially with my 645N (I don't have the old camera you are thinking of getting).

---------- Post added 01-11-22 at 12:36 PM ----------

And I should add that yes, oldschool manual sync cords do work, if the strobes can be cascaded or combined with a splitter and fired with the sync cable. But then you have no control from the camera - run around to your individual strobes or use their remote to set them, and trigger from camera.
01-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax 645 has an X PC sync port and a hot shoe. You can use either to wire sync to most studio power pack units. It's been years, but I've used my 645 with a Norman 3 strobe power pack.

As I recall, you can go wireless with a Godox or Cactus wireless transmitter for Pentax, but unless that is essential, not only does it add cost and complication to your set up, I found it was less reliable which is a bigger issue when shooting film.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1538461-REG/hensel_84540903_cactus_v6...981&
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432377-REG/godox_xprop_ttl_wireless_...981&
01-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both!
Yeah, I've been debating if it was even a good idea to buy 645 or jump one step to the 645N/Nll, especially for AF function. Unfortunately, I'm based in Germany and can't seem to find better options than this Pentax 645.

I guess my best option if I decide to go for the Pentax 645 would be a sync cord? To make sure the camera is well synced.
It happened to me before with a Godox Pro (on film) that the flash won't be properly synced, so I'd rather avoid this

I have the option to go for a Mamiya 645 Pro, do you think this would be a better option? I work a lot in studio so this is quite tricky

I appreciate any advice you can give me, I'm looking forward to a new medium format camera but I don't wanna rush it and make a wrong desition

Thanks!

01-11-2022, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mthfnz Quote
I have the option to go for a Mamiya 645 Pro, do you think this would be a better option? I work a lot in studio so this is quite tricky
Although I have used my Pentax 645 for studio work, I bought it because it was designed and superior for field work.

The Mamiya 645 Pro is a more studio-oriented system because there are 4 leaf shutter lenses available from 55, 70, 80, and 150mm, whereas the Pentax 645 only has the two at 75 and 135mm.

The Mamiya is more like most medium format cameras in that it also has interchangeable viewfinders and backs, unlike the Pentax 645 which does not. I rarely recommend against Pentax, but the Mamiya is better for studio work, but if you're thinking of also shooting outside the studio, I'd go with the Pentax as I can't imagine shooting a Mamiya Pro on the streets or in nature.
01-11-2022, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I've been using 645 with strobes mostly with 5 Hensell strobes and the original Hensel remote trigger (pc sync cord works great as well if you don't mind a cable around your feet)

Sometimes i am using my godox x2t-c trigger for canon (yes for canon) paired with 2 godox strobes,(so if you know someone with any godox trigger you can borrow it and check it), the trigger works fine on manual mode obviously.The only downside using the godox trigger is that you have to check before every shoot if the trigger isn't on standby mode cause it will not wake up with shutter release, i am manually turning it on and then take a picture.

Also the sync speed of 645 is 1/60s so i believe for any type of work a tripod is necessary, even if you are going to use the leaf shutter version of the 75mm or 135mm.
01-12-2022, 02:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GQPhdFBI Quote
I've been using 645 with strobes mostly with 5 Hensell strobes and the original Hensel remote trigger (pc sync cord works great as well if you don't mind a cable around your feet)
I see... Yeah, that's the thing, I guess I should be ready to use any brand (either with a sync cord or a remote trigger) Would a PocketWizard be a solution here?

Sometimes i am using my godox x2t-c trigger for canon
That's amazing to read. I happen to have a Godox Pro trigger for Canon, will give it a try.

Also the sync speed of 645 is 1/60s so I believe for any type of work a tripod is necessary, even if you are going to use the leaf shutter version of the 75mm or 135mm.
Yeah, that is something I will have to manage but I had understood that with a leaf lens I could use higher sync speeds... Am I right?

01-12-2022, 05:31 AM   #8
Forum Member

I see... Yeah, that's the thing, I guess I should be ready to use any brand (either with a sync cord or a remote trigger) Would a PocketWizard be a solution here?

Yeah, that is something I will have to manage but I had understood that with a leaf lens I could use higher sync speeds... Am I right?
Pocketwizard works great so you cant go wrong there. Since most of the strobes nowadays come with integrated receiver, makes more sense to just buy the dedicated transmitter, and not bother about receivers (unless you already own various strobes from different brands).

With leaf shutter lens yes you can sync at any speed. In general if you shoot with strobes and cut the ambient light, 1/60s is enough for some handheld portrait with the 75mm.When using a longer lens i am using a tripod just to be safe and to avoid hand fatigue since the camera/lens combo is heavy.

Btw what studio work are you planning to do? I also have experience with the mamiya mentioned above and can help you choose which one suit you better.
01-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, Christopher.
With leaf shutter lens yes you can sync at any speed. In general if you shoot with strobes and cut the ambient light, 1/60s is enough for some handheld portrait with the 75mm.When using a longer lens i am using a tripod just to be safe and to avoid hand fatigue since the camera/lens combo is heavy.
Makes total sense, I am now exploring the possibility of buying a Pentax 645N with a zoom lens 45-85mm (Do you have any experience with this lens?) I mainly do fashion photography so for me is much more useful a zoom lens that I can re-compose quickly.

Btw what studio work are you planning to do? I also have experience with the Mamiya mentioned above and can help you choose which one suit you better.
I will be working with different lighting setups, I know that the studio I am shooting this particular project has Elinchrom lights, if you wanna have a look at my work I guess would be easier to see than explain @matiasalfonzo_

I am not 100% sure with the Mamiya, especially in regards of what Alex645 said above:
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
but if you're thinking of also shooting outside the studio, I'd go with the Pentax as I can't imagine shooting a Mamiya Pro on the streets or in nature.
I am also a lot of the time shooting outdoors so I need a versatile camera

thank you again! this is of great help
01-12-2022, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Makes total sense, I am now exploring the possibility of buying a Pentax 645N with a zoom lens 45-85mm (Do you have any experience with this lens?) I mainly do fashion photography so for me is much more useful a zoom lens that I can re-compose quickly.
The 45-85mm makes sense but if you want that creamy shallow dof bokeh, the f/4.5 can't give what the primes will at f/2.8. Also in lower light, f/2.8 will give you a brighter viewfinder and in the case of the 645N, a bit more accurate and faster AF.

If you rarely shoot wide open, then the 45-85mm zoom is a logical choice. But fashion photographers often shoot with primes and I personally would not trade away the rendering quality of a 75mm f/2.8 prime for the convenience of the 45-85mm f/4.5 zoom.
01-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The 45-85mm makes sense but if you want that creamy shallow dof bokeh, the f/4.5 can't give what the primes will at f/2.8. Also in lower light, f/2.8 will give you a brighter viewfinder and in the case of the 645N, a bit more accurate and faster AF.

If you rarely shoot wide open, then the 45-85mm zoom is a logical choice. But fashion photographers often shoot with primes and I personally would not trade away the rendering quality of a 75mm f/2.8 prime for the convenience of the 45-85mm f/4.5 zoom.
Interesting point, I was wondering about the sharpness and quality of the zoom compared to a fixed lens.

In any case, I have never used an aperture less than f8, so for me is not primordial to have it in f2.8 // My other option would be to get the zoom + one 100m or 120mm

Thank you Alex.

One other thing I'm wondering is about buying a camera from the US with international shipping to Germany, is there any other thing I can do than pay extra insurance in case something happens? It's a little terrifying the thought of the postman dealing with my camera.

Let me know your thoughts
01-12-2022, 06:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other thing I'm wondering is about buying a camera from the US with international shipping to Germany, is there any other thing I can do than pay extra insurance in case something happens? It's a little terrifying the thought of the postman dealing with my camera.
I think it has more to do with who is the sender, how is it packed, and the courier. With KEH or B&H, you can feel confident on the quality of the packaging, tracking info, and warranty. From a private seller, it's much more of a gamble. I've heard really good things about all eBay sellers from Japan.
01-12-2022, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Thanks a lot, Christopher.

For fashion photography 645N AF capability will suit you better.
About the lens i am not familiar with 45-85, i am using only 4 lenses 55,75,120 & 150 but i mainly do still life and occasionally some portraits so i don't really care about AF or Zoom.
After many years i realize that with lenses (and cameras), it all comes down to what makes your job easier, so if a zoom lens is going to help you and make you faster go for it.
I can go very technical and tell you that YES PRIMES ARE BETTER, some zoom lenses have issues at larger apertures etc,etc,etc..... but from what i have experienced all the 645 lenses line up is more than capable to deliver good image quality.

I will be working with different lighting setups, I know that the studio I am shooting this particular project has Elinchrom lights, if you wanna have a look at my work I guess would be easier to see than explain @matiasalfonzo_
nice

I am not 100% sure with the Mamiya, especially in regards of what Alex645 said above:
I am also a lot of the time shooting outdoors so I need a versatile camera
thank you again! this is of great help
Mamiya is oriented for studio work, and is far superior to pentax on that kind of work, its not going to give you better images than Pentax, but will give them to you faster and easier.
Mamiya's viewfinder, the ability to change film backs (even a digital back) during shoot (doing simultaneously color and b&w work) and overall the modularity that has as a system, making me suggest it over Pentax.
There isn't that great difference in size, especially outside if you use waist level viewfinder and remove the auto-winder grip, they are the same if not smaller.

All those extra feature comes with an extra cost. What Pentax 645 offers in today's price range, you can hardly beat it with any other system.
02-25-2022, 02:22 AM   #14

HI New here and am conscious that I am replying to an old thread.

My situation is that I have just inherited a 645z from my late father and want to use it in conjunction with my okd Bowens studio strobes. I use poket wizard plusX with my canon kit, but they are not triggering my strobes when mounted on the Pentax.

Do I need to set something in the camera, or are those triggers not compatible with the Pentax?

If it's the latter does any one know of compatible wireless triggers (I really don't want to co down the sync cable route)

Many thanks

Phil
02-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philwint Quote
I have just inherited a 645z from my late father and want to use it in conjunction with my okd Bowens studio strobes. I use poket wizard plusX with my canon kit, but they are not triggering my strobes when mounted on the Pentax.

Do I need to set something in the camera, or are those triggers not compatible with the Pentax?

Phil
With the Pocket Wizard Plus X are you using the hot shoe mount or are you using the PC X sync port with a cable to the wizard? Have you tried both? Does an external shoe mounted flash work with your 645Z?

Are you setting the 645Z properly for flash operation? Note pages 64-66 in the owner's manual:
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/645z.pdf