Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question on Pentax Modules for old Sunpak Flash Units

Through Ebay I have now acquired two Sunpak DX modules that came attached to flash units.

[For anyone not familiar with the Sunpak DX system of the late film era, these modules plug in semi-permanently to the bottom of the flash unit, and provide the foot. There was a different module for compatibility with each major camera brand. Many users of the DX flash units (and Ebay sellers) never even realise the module is detachable.]

My modules are both Pentax compatible (code PT) but one is marked "PT-1D" and the other is "PT-2D". The former also gives a list of 1980s Pentax cameras it is for, while the latter simply says it is for Pentax cameras. Both say it can also be used generically (except Sony I guess).

Does anyone know the functional difference between these? One came with a 36DX unit and the other with a G4500DX, but both manuals refer only to the PT-1D. The PT-2D does work with both though, maybe it is improved somehow.

01-14-2022, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The former also gives a list of 1980s Pentax cameras it is for, while the latter simply says it is for Pentax cameras.
Maybe they got tired of/ran out of room for listing all the compatible Pentax models, so just renamed the whole thing the PT-2D with just generic Asahi/Pentax
01-14-2022, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
... Does anyone know the functional difference between these? One came with a 36DX unit and the other with a G4500DX, but both manuals refer only to the PT-1D. The PT-2D does work with both though, maybe it is improved somehow...
I know nothing, but I found this:

? on Sunpak PT-1D and PT-2D module - PentaxForums.com
01-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Thats an interesting thread and it prompts me to so some experiments myself. However in that thread SOldBear (who has not been active for a while) said
QuoteQuote:
I know the PT-1D has 1 data pin (in addition to the sync pin), I think the PT-2D will work better because it has 2 data pins
But both my PT-1D and PT-2D have the two data pins. In fact I have dismantled both and saw no difference inside them.

01-14-2022, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #5

The difference is the PT-2D added Program flash mode introduced with the A/Program Series of MF bodies. When the camera is set to Programmed or Shutter-priority AE mode the flash will set the appropriate aperture depending on the auto power setting of the flash.

If you look at the Sunpak 622 Super manual the Pentax bodies listed for the PT-2D are 645, SFX, LX, Super A, Program A, ME-Super A, MV, MG, ME-F.

TTL and Program flash use the same "mode" pin.

BTW: There is a PT-2D in box with instructions on eBay US right now. If I didn't already have one I'd snap it up. Might decide to anyway, always prefer stuff in original box and manual.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-14-2022 at 07:09 PM.
02-07-2022, 05:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The PT-2D allows full TTL flash with the *1st D, *1st DS and *1st DS2 which are the only Pentax digital bodies to offer real TTL flash in addition to the now (unfortunately) standard P-TTL. TTL without the preflash is a huge advantage when shooting handheld macro, insects and pets. I have three Sunpak flash units which I can use the PT-2D module to dedicate to my *1st DS, the wonderful and huge 555 “potato masher”, the shoe mount 444D and the DX-8R Ring Flash. All work very well with the PT-2D.
05-06-2022, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The difference is the PT-2D added Program flash mode introduced with the A/Program Series of MF bodies. When the camera is set to Programmed or Shutter-priority AE mode the flash will set the appropriate aperture depending on the auto power setting of the flash.

If you look at the Sunpak 622 Super manual the Pentax bodies listed for the PT-2D are 645, SFX, LX, Super A, Program A, ME-Super A, MV, MG, ME-F.

TTL and Program flash use the same "mode" pin.

BTW: There is a PT-2D in box with instructions on eBay US right now. If I didn't already have one I'd snap it up. Might decide to anyway, always prefer stuff in original box and manual.
I bought that PT-2D in the box, with the manual, on ebay! Haven't tried it yet. It is the second PT-2D I own, the other came with my DX-8R macro ring flash. I can attest that the TTL function works great with the DX-8R and t e PT-2D on my Pentax 645n, using the Pentax-A 645 120 macro lens. The Auto mode (not the TTL mode) on the flash/sensor combo works fine on newer Pentax DSLRs (I've tried it on my K-70, haven't tried it yet on the K-1 Mark II).