Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2022, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've found PK_Tether on an old hard disk, so here (hopefully) is a Dropbox link: Dropbox - PK Tether - Simplify your life

I assume I'm not violating anyone's IP rights since it's freeware, but of course I'll happily remove the link if I'm not actually entitled to share it. If I remember correctly PK_Tether is a portable app, so using it is just a case of running the executable with no actual installation needed. But it looks like you might need a .net framework update on Windows 10, or at least it says I do. And I'd rather leave any Windows updates for that one day of the month where I take a deep breath and wait to see which part of the the OS Microsoft has managed to bugger up this time.

02-16-2022, 05:51 AM   #17

Original Poster
I connected the k10 to the PC, the cable arrived now, but what I meant was, shooting photos and immediately appearing on the PC screen, !!!!! like pros do. can t it be done ??? If I set on the camera with the caable I cannot shoot any photo, it just says PC.
02-16-2022, 06:37 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockerxx69 Quote
I connected the k10 to the PC, the cable arrived now, but what I meant was, shooting photos and immediately appearing on the PC screen, !!!!! like pros do. can t it be done ??? If I set on the camera with the caable I cannot shoot any photo, it just says PC.
Yes, that's what PK Tether does (see above)...
02-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've found PK_Tether on an old hard disk, so here (hopefully) is a Dropbox link: Dropbox - PK Tether - Simplify your life

I assume I'm not violating anyone's IP rights since it's freeware, but of course I'll happily remove the link if I'm not actually entitled to share it. If I remember correctly PK_Tether is a portable app, so using it is just a case of running the executable with no actual installation needed. But it looks like you might need a .net framework update on Windows 10, or at least it says I do. And I'd rather leave any Windows updates for that one day of the month where I take a deep breath and wait to see which part of the the OS Microsoft has managed to bugger up this time.
Many thanks, hope it works.

---------- Post added 02-16-22 at 06:52 AM ----------

YES IT WORKS--thanks

02-16-2022, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #20

PK_tether works like a charm on my Windows 10 PC.

Things to note:
  • Either install it elsewhere than the System (C\ drive Program File (x86) folder or else set it to run as an Administrator. Otherwise it won't Windows won't play nice with it and block many of the functions - such as saving configuration settings.
  • The camera will stay on and not got to sleep/standby when actively connected. Either have several battery changes for long sessions or buy an AC adapter.
  • When saving images to the computer it uses a different name scheme than the camera.

Since Remote Assistant wouldn't install on Win7 I rarely used it after switching over to W7. As I recall PK_tether is a much better application. It was written mainly for the K10/20D and works best with these cameras. Support/functionality on later bodies got spotty to non-existent.
02-20-2022, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just on that point, I've used shorter cables (around 3 metres, if I remember correctly) that weren't reliable, while others were. As I'm sure you know, not all USB cables are made equal when it comes to quality - the individual wires in some of them are so thin, and the resulting resistance / signal losses are significant. If the OP is going to try a 5 metre stretch, I'd recommend a high quality cable...
It works fine with usual Pentax 1,5 metres cable + another USB good quality 3 metres cable. Immediate transfer to the PC screen !!! like a pro eheheheheh.