Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2022, 04:33 AM   #1

K10 d studio use with pc

HALLO, how can I connect a K10d to a PC, while studio shooting, for immediate editing ???? Hardware ??? cables??? software on PC???
thanks

02-15-2022, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax Remote Assistant 3 software + usb cable
02-15-2022, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You just need a copy of the free PK-Tether app and a USB cable. If you need more than a couple of feet of cable, get hold of a USB repeater.

The old download links for PK-Tether seem to have disappeared, but hopefully someone around here will know where it can still be had. If all else fails, I think I've still got the installer on an old backup hard disk somewhere.
02-15-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Pentax Remote Assistant 3 software + usb cable
Oops, I forgot you could use that with the K10D. You're absolutely right: the OP should ignore what I said about PK-Tether and use Pentax Remote Assistant instead.

02-15-2022, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Note that this is from 2008. It supports Windows XP and Vista - it may work with newer windows versions but it is very old (as is the camera).

Also note that it requires firmware 1.20 or newer on the K10D.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 09:46 AM ----------

And the link implies they had to add specific lenses data so many newer lenses may not have full info in the program. I’m unclear what that might mean when using newer lenses.
02-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. I want to move freely in the studio. Can't l use 5 metres of cable?
02-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockerxx69 Quote
Thanks. I want to move freely in the studio. Can't l use 5 metres of cable?
Yes, but you'll almost certainly need a USB repeater. There'll be a lot of signal loss over five metres of cable with the skinny wires they use.

The specs for the various USB standards are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-15-2022 at 08:52 AM.
02-15-2022, 09:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Note that this is from 2008. It supports Windows XP and Vista - it may work with newer windows versions but it is very old (as is the camera).

Also note that it requires firmware 1.20 or newer on the K10D.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 09:46 AM ----------

And the link implies they had to add specific lenses data so many newer lenses may not have full info in the program. I’m unclear what that might mean when using newer lenses.
It demands a CD for installation!!!

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 09:52 AM ----------

Yes Thanks, I finally could install PENTAX DIGITAL UTILITY 4, I renamed an SD card like you stated in other part of this forum, updates don t seem to install. Don t know why.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 10:19 AM ----------

Pentax Remote Assistant can t be installed too---it requires a cd rom, grrrrr
02-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It demands a CD for installation!!!

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 09:52 AM ----------

Yes Thanks, I finally could install PENTAX DIGITAL UTILITY 4, I renamed an SD card like you stated in other part of this forum, updates don t seem to install. Don t know why.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 10:19 AM ----------

Pentax Remote Assistant can t be installed too---it requires a cd rom, grrrrr
I haven’t done either install recently. I’ve never done the remote tether install actually. But that method should work as it is a common method used.

Read this for the digital utility install: Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com

Try this for the tethering software: K10D tethering CD required - PentaxForums.com

Bear in mind this is the Volume name not a folder name. Capitalization matters. Easy to name it during formatting.
02-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #10

Remote Assistant won't install on on anything past Windows XP. I've tried every hack and compatibility setting I know of without success.

You need the Pentax cable or 3rd party replacement. The K10D does not use a standard USB Micro-B or Mini-B connector.

PK_tether works on Windows 10. Finding it for download is the trick though you can find links on the forum.

I'm not sure if Adam's remote software using the API SDK work with the K10D.

The maximum recommended length for USB 2.0 is 5 meters. For USB 3.0 3 meters. After that use a booster.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-15-2022 at 12:18 PM.
02-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Remote Assistant won't install on on anything past Windows XP. I've tried every hack and compatibility setting I know of without success.

You need the Pentax cable or 3rd party replacement. The K10D does not use a standard USB Micro-B or Mini-B connector.

PK_tether works on Windows 10. Finding it for download is the trick though you can find links on the forum.

I'm not sure if Adam's remote software using the API SDK work with the K10D.
Good info. Where is a secure copy of pktether to be found these days? Is the source code available?
02-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The maximum recommended length for USB 2.0 is 5 meters. For USB 3.0 3 meters. After that use a booster.
Just on that point, I've used shorter cables (around 3 metres, if I remember correctly) that weren't reliable, while others were. As I'm sure you know, not all USB cables are made equal when it comes to quality - the individual wires in some of them are so thin, and the resulting resistance / signal losses are significant. If the OP is going to try a 5 metre stretch, I'd recommend a high quality cable...
02-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #13

Original Poster
Ricoh Pentax site keeps writing : massage, so l guess they are not that reliable or Of any help for us Pentaxers of yore, l still should have the original CD ROM somewhere though.
02-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

, l still should have the original CD ROM somewhere though.
Well, there is your answer! Lucky that you probably have the CD and maybe even the cables!

Steve
02-16-2022, 02:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would it be possible to run an XP virtual machine under Windows 10 that could then host Remote Assistant?
I did this on Windows 7 to run an old CAD package and retrieve some drawings.
It was a fiddly process and probably more so on Win 10.

Given how old the K10d is and indeed Remote Assistant any solution is bound to be fiddly.