Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2022, 02:26 AM   #1

Is it possible to link up Metz 58, Pentax 360 and Pentax 540 flashes

I've acquired a Metz 58, Pentax 360 and Pentax 540 flashes. I've only ever used them on camera tbh. Can any combinations of these be linked on or off camera?
If not, what should I keep and which Godox system or similar would help?

03-03-2022, 03:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They're all P-TTL capable (assuming the Metz is the Pentax version), so yes, they can all be used together. Use one on the camera and the other two wherever you want, and they will communicate optically.
03-03-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianCoup Quote
I've acquired a Metz 58, Pentax 360 and Pentax 540 flashes. I've only ever used them on camera tbh. Can any combinations of these be linked on or off camera?
If not, what should I keep and which Godox system or similar would help?
I don't have the Metz, but I have used the AF540 and AF360 together with a Cactus RF60X, all triggered by Cactus radio triggers. Sadly, Cactus are no more, but your flashes should all work together with any decent radio triggers, as well as optically.
03-03-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The simplest option is to use the 540 as the wireless PTTL master, and the others as wireless optical slaves. They are all capable of doing that. You don't control them individually, the camera will tell them how they should fire.

You can also control them manually, set the power on each, and use optical slave in manual instead of PTTL. One flash on camera (which must be in manual also to avoid messing up exposure) and the others will fire when they see the first one firing. Some back and forth to set the results to how you want them, but once you're set, exposure should remain constant as long as the scene doesn't change.

You can get radio manual triggers, which will do the same thing, but will let you place the three flashes off-camera. Again, manual control is the only thing available.

03-03-2022, 06:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Sadly, Cactus are no more, ....
Wot!! Cactus have gone cactus??????
03-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all your responses about the flashes. It's not a subject I'm familiar with and even I could understand