Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm sort of just getting into flashes too. To get the flash to fire, try using a slower synch speed like 1/60 or something. Also, do you get a flash when you fire it in the test mode? Is there a test mode?

I've been using some used flashes in off camera mode by buying the cheap Cactus transmitter/receiver. Pretty simple to hook up and can't beat the cost.

good luck[/QUOTE]

The main flash works very well, I was just talking about the secondary fill flash. But, I will try different shutter speeds too this wknd.

12-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
This guy might have a manual for you JEB on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I posted the question in his recent addition, and today i went back to see his response and found my question has been deleted, oh well.....
12-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Try PMing or emailing him - he might not have been the one deleting the question.
12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Try PMing or emailing him - he might not have been the one deleting the question.

Yeah, I did that and got a reply, But, infortunately he doesn't know much about the flash and doesn't have the manual. But he did say that switches 1/2 is to choose whether to fire one flash or both, I guess mine is broken. But, the main flash is still good, so I can use that.

Thank you for your help.

12-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I fired some test shots with my 540 as the wireless slave (SL2), and this Black's flash on the hotshoe, and it works well in manual mode. I have to tweak the output and see whether I can get better resuts with this as opposed to the 540 alone. (I think I should). Test's will follow this wknd.
12-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
(snip) I hope you can explain how to read the guide number. (snip)

Sorry, when I said guide numbers, I should have been saying f-stop numbers (aperture settings). Since I don't have a clue on the guide number of the flash, there's no way for me to guess which f-stop settings to use. If you search around the internet, you might find the steps necessary to obtain the guide number for the flash yourself through a series of test exposures. It's can be done, but I haven't tried it in many years and certainly don't remember how.

QuoteQuote:
I think that is to assign the flash for different camera models as you had suggested earlier

Of course. I asked which cameras are supported and then didn't associate that switch with the question. Obviously one of those "blond" moments.

I see you're now experimenting with the flash unit. That's your best bet at this point. Look around the internet for a method of obtaining the guide number and then do the math for that guide number versus flash distance to set the f-stop on the camera. At that point, you'll be almost home. Good luck.

stewart